Game vs. Browns - Quick Hits

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Game vs. Browns - Quick Hits

Post by Demi »

Thank god the fans finally quit tolerating that bum leading this team. No time? To miss wide open Carlson? Underthrow Patterson? Miss wide open Webb? Throw the ball two yards out of bounds on an out to an open Jennings? Not lead Wright on what would have been a big gain if he hit him in stride?

29 starts in and still same old same old. Now the "He has no weapons out wide!" excuse is gone, guys are getting open, he has time, AND CANT THROW AN ACCURATE BALL.

But yeah, blame the offensive line now...or the defense. Coaches too! Just keep deflecting from this turd.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Demi wrote:But yeah, blame the offensive line now...or the defense. Coaches too! Just keep deflecting from this turd.
It's not like people are bringing that stuff up because they want to defend Ponder and deflect criticism. All that other stuff is being brought up because they are legitimate problem areas in addition to Ponder being terrible. Putting Cassel in at QB might win a couple games but with everything else the way it is, I think it's clear this isn't a team that's ready to compete at a high level.

I can understand chanting for the backup if the rest of the team was performing well and the QB was holding them back, but doing it in this situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Simple booing would have sufficed, as it's not directed at a single person (though there was plenty of that as well). It's not like this is the 2008-2009 squad where the addition of a good QB is what was needed to make the team dangerous. I don't think this team is anywhere near that. Hopefully that changes by the end of the year but I've pretty much given up all hope.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Ponder is crap but I agree he is not the only one at fault. The entire team is struggling and it's start with the coaching. Now I believe we have a decent team, despite our record. We may not have a super bowl caliber team but we sure as don't have a 0-16 team. The problem is we cant execute any of our plays. The O-Line is not blocking well. Our QB is not performing well. The defense is allowing too many points to be scored. And most importantly, our coaches make no type of adjustments during the game and just let the other teams simply out coach us without even any attempt to make changes.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Oh yes. The booing was a little much. I was freaking out. I was frustrated with him at times, but mostly like, "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO DO THERE?!?!? HE HAS NO TIME!!!" And then when AP would run up the middle for a few yards--that was stupid, too. We were supposed to bomb it, bomb it, bomb it. Too bad Ponder didn't have TIME for that. Some people just don't get it, so they say really stupid things. Pretty sad when you want to punch your own team's fans in the face. :lol: I've burned a few idiots in my day. It was pretty fun. I had all kinds of people going "ooooooo" to make fun of the guy being burned at the time. :D How embarrassing to be burned by a female at a football game because you don't have a clue what you're talking about. :lol:
The booing is appropriate. The fans are sending a message to the team's management that this caliber of play is not acceptable.

Does it mean that the fans are saying that Cassell is any better than Ponder? No, but they don't have to think that in order to justify booing. Management has stocked this team for the last few years without a single guy who is starting QB material. The fans are simply registering their disapproval with that idea.

Now, is the entire problem with this team the QB position? I wish. We have more holes than swiss cheese. But that only adds to the justification to boo -- the fans are saying that the Vikes need to light a fire under their players rather than accepting mediocrity.

Here in my town, we have this horrid pro basketball team called the Wizards who seem to underachieve year after year after year. Players have played like they are bored, and the results have invariably been mediocre or worse. Fans of such franchises shouldn't just sit there and watch politely as their players sleepwalk through games. The Vikes fans are simply sending a message that they don't want this team to become like the Wizards. These fans are spending their good money and their time on this product, and they have every right to demand better.

At least that's my take. Then again, I grew up the son of a sports fan from Brooklyn. He taught me that booing was a fan's God-given right!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DanAS wrote: The booing is appropriate. The fans are sending a message to the team's management that this caliber of play is not acceptable.

Does it mean that the fans are saying that Cassell is any better than Ponder? No, but they don't have to think that in order to justify booing. Management has stocked this team for the last few years without a single guy who is starting QB material. The fans are simply registering their disapproval with that idea.

Now, is the entire problem with this team the QB position? I wish. We have more holes than swiss cheese. But that only adds to the justification to boo -- the fans are saying that the Vikes need to light a fire under their players rather than accepting mediocrity.

Here in my town, we have this horrid pro basketball team called the Wizards who seem to underachieve year after year after year. Players have played like they are bored, and the results have invariably been mediocre or worse. Fans of such franchises shouldn't just sit there and watch politely as their players sleepwalk through games. The Vikes fans are simply sending a message that they don't want this team to become like the Wizards. These fans are spending their good money and their time on this product, and they have every right to demand better.

At least that's my take. Then again, I grew up the son of a sports fan from Brooklyn. He taught me that booing was a fan's God-given right!
Excellent post Dan!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Demi wrote:Thank god the fans finally quit tolerating that bum leading this team. No time? To miss wide open Carlson? Underthrow Patterson? Miss wide open Webb? Throw the ball two yards out of bounds on an out to an open Jennings? Not lead Wright on what would have been a big gain if he hit him in stride?

29 starts in and still same old same old. Now the "He has no weapons out wide!" excuse is gone, guys are getting open, he has time, AND CANT THROW AN ACCURATE BALL.

But yeah, blame the offensive line now...or the defense. Coaches too! Just keep deflecting from this turd.
I take it you didn't watch the game?
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

DanAS wrote:
The booing is appropriate. The fans are sending a message to the team's management that this caliber of play is not acceptable.

See I just don't buy that it's appropriate. If you're that fed up or unhappy with the product going to the game and booing every time the QB doesn't have a positive play is just sad to me. I don't buy that it's "sending a message" either, you're in the stands, you paid for your ticket. If you want to send a message don't go to the game! It's the money that matters, not your booing lol.

All in all it was a good, competitive game, granted between two very poor teams but it was still very entertaining. If you go in thinking your bad team should crush their bad team then meh, you're doing it wrong and you should probably stop supporting the team from a $$$ stand point until it's at a worthy level of your expectations. Just my $0.02 though, YMMV.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Good QBs can mask bad defenses.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mondry wrote: See I just don't buy that it's appropriate. If you're that fed up or unhappy with the product going to the game and booing every time the QB doesn't have a positive play is just sad to me. I don't buy that it's "sending a message" either, you're in the stands, you paid for your ticket. If you want to send a message don't go to the game! It's the money that matters, not your booing lol.
Truth. I do like to boo the refs, though. :wink:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Truth. I do like to boo the refs, though. :wink:
Yeah I was super pissed when they ruled our guy down by contact on that fumble. One guy was like "CHAALLENGE IT FRAZIER YOU IDIOT!?" so I said to my gf and the people around "they're suppose to let that play finish out because you can't challenge the down by contact and everything after the whistle doesn't matter." Then Frazier dropped the red flag and I sighed and said "see, that's a time out down the drain" and then the refs moved us back 15 yards!!!!!! LOL. The people around me too were like "how the hell does this guy know the rules better than both our coach and the refs!" heh.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mondry wrote:Yeah I was super pissed when they ruled our guy down by contact on that fumble. One guy was like "CHAALLENGE IT FRAZIER YOU IDIOT!?" so I said to my gf and the people around "they're suppose to let that play finish out because you can't challenge the down by contact and everything after the whistle doesn't matter." Then Frazier dropped the red flag and I sighed and said "see, that's a time out down the drain" and then the refs moved us back 15 yards!!!!!! LOL. The people around me too were like "how the hell does this guy know the rules better than both our coach and the refs!" heh.
Exactly. 90% of the people in the stands don't even know what they are talking about, so we should trust their booing? LOL. I don't think so.

I knew we couldn't challenge it either, but I think that was a nice way to send a message like " :wtf: refs" and " :wtf: NFL". I'm okay with him doing it, because it's something that needs to be looked at. But you just watch, the rule will be changed and it'll come back to bite us. :lol: That's our luck!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

NextQuestion wrote:Good QBs can mask bad defenses.
Steelers 0-3
Giants 0-3
Redskins 0-3
Packers 1-2
Falcons 1-2
Niners 1-2
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

24 points is the most 1st half points by the Browns since '09 vs Detroit (57 games).

Is it just me or do we see a lot of graphic during games that begin with "first time since .... " and then something our opponent hasn't done in awhile that we just allowed?

1 TD in their last 24 possessions ... then 3 first half TD drives.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh