It is early but how many wins this year?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

aalbin28
Waterboy

Re: It is early but how many wins this year?

Post by aalbin28 »

You're right it is entertainment. What I mean is that there is not really a difference if you lose in the playoffs or don't make the playoffs because you have won nothing. And I don't think this team is bad enough to finish lower than 8-8. Like I said its all on Ponder. If he plays good we are one if the best teams in the league.
aalbin28
Waterboy

Post by aalbin28 »

Sutsgold wrote:We will be the first team to go 17-0 in a 16 game season. We are that good.

Realistically I put the over under at 9 because the schedule appears a little tougher than last season.
This season might appear tougher on paper but look at all the playoff teams they played last year...

Green Bay x2
San Fransisco
Indianapolis
Washington
Houston
Seattle

That's 7 games, nearly half their schedule against playoff teams.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Sutsgold wrote:We will be the first team to go 17-0 in a 16 game season. We are that good.

Realistically I put the over under at 9 because the schedule appears a little tougher than last season.
Ahh yes, I can see us winning the bye week, it's just those other 16 weeks that I'm not sure about.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

aalbin28 wrote:You're right it is entertainment. What I mean is that there is not really a difference if you lose in the playoffs or don't make the playoffs because you have won nothing.
You don't think that a 10-6 season and one-and-done in the playoffs is more enjoyable than a 3-13 season for the ownership, the coaching staff, the players AND the fans?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote:Realistically, I see between 8-10 wins, depending primarily on factors like health and potential translating into production. I actually think they're in a position where things could really come together for them and they could make a deep playoff run or if they have some bad luck, they could slip back below .500. There are pretty precarious situations in a few position groups and I'm not sure they have the depth to be a playoff team if they don't stay pretty healthy.

Jim
I predicted 11 wins and think that that could go either way. Maybe 8 wins but no fewer and possibly 12 wins and the play-offs. An extended injury to Cutler, Rogers, or Stafford could add another win or two. The Vikes X factor is going to be Blair Walsh. It can't be overstated what a job he did last year and how many actual wins that he accounted for (not just game ending field goals).
It seems strange but a lot of us fans might be underselling this team. There are 7 pro bowl players, an exciting draft class (with three more potential stars) Jennings, a healthy Simpson and Carlson hey maybe just maybe with a lot of luck, this could be the year :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

8 or less wins if ponder has another poor season. 10 + wins if he has an average season.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

hibbingviking wrote:8 or less wins if ponder has another poor season. 10 + wins if he has an average season.
So trying hard to follow your logic, if Ponder has another poor season then maybe 8 or less wins. Which means that even with Ponder playing sooo poorly last year the Vikes made the play-offs and won 10 games. You are thinking that this team, as a whole, will not be as good as last years team or the schedule will be harder, or AD will not play as good as last year....Which is it :?:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Purple bruise wrote: So trying hard to follow your logic, if Ponder has another poor season then maybe 8 or less wins. Which means that even with Ponder playing sooo poorly last year the Vikes made the play-offs and won 10 games. You are thinking that this team, as a whole, will not be as good as last years team or the schedule will be harder, or AD will not play as good as last year....Which is it :?:
hard schedule. ponder has shown little improvement. the bears, packers, and lions should all be better this season. ponder should have a good 3rd year hopefully. if he shows little improvement this year its going to be tough to win the division or get a wild card spot. but who knows, teams go from last to first and from first to last. but looking at the schedule I see it hard even finding 8 wins unless there is vast improvement on offense, defense, and special teams., :confused:
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Hmm Questions at LB, CB, WR, and Especially at QB I can't see going past 10-6. 8-8 is my guess
:v):
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

Vegas just came out with the win totals for next season. Vikings over / under is 7.5
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Sutsgold wrote:Vegas just came out with the win totals for next season. Vikings over / under is 7.5
That seems veey low... Idk.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That seems veey low... Idk.
Remember, it's not a prediction, it's a way of getting people to bet and if I understand correctly, the oddsmaker's goal is to get people to wager equal amounts on both sides of the over/under.

If I was a bettin' man, I'd take the over on that one.

It does say something about how oddsmakers view the public perception of the Vikes and how that perception may be a little less optimistic than many of the views we have around here. I doubt there are many people on the board who would bet on the Vikes being a sub-.500 team this season.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

To the initial post/title; not knowing the starting lineup or injuries upon game 1, yes, it is way too early to predict wins and losses. I'm still "hoping" for at least 12.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: It does say something about how oddsmakers view the public perception of the Vikes and how that perception may be a little less optimistic than many of the views we have around here.
...yeah. And what did "Vegas" have to say about the Vikings last year? I bet they were way off--as were many fans.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

my mind says 8-8 wins with the hard schedule and with ponder at the helm. my heart says 11-5. ponder has a break out year with Patterson, Jennings, and AD. the defense plays well. shariff rookie of the year. :smilevike: football is so hard to figure out. its easier picking some teams that wont make the playoffs. lions, panthers, raiders, browns, jags, dolphins, jets, bills.