Vikings to trade up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings to trade up

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: That's the pick Minnesota got from that game against Arizona where the Cardinals threw it into the corner of the endzone from 4th-and-forever with no time left on the clock to win and knock the Vikings out of the playoffs. After reviewing that play, the league awarded the Vikings a future 1st rounder of the Cardinals to mitigate the extensive depression that fell over Vikingdom after that loss. However, the "catch" was that the Cardinals could choose the pick and year they would hand over their 1st rounder, and the Cardinals strategically chose a year when there is no tangible difference between the talent available at pick #7 and pick #32 in the 1st round.

* Disclaimer - the above is fictional. Any resemblance to real events, persons, pro football teams, or NFL drafts is unintentional. The author of this post is absolved of any responsibility for readers of this post to actually believe the Vikings somehow obtained a top-10 pick in any draft with zero compensation to the team that owns the pick.
:rofl: Well done!
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

In a fairly deep draft, most teams want more draft pics, not less. The chance of the Vikes trading up are much closer to zero than even 10%.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

OJVIKE wrote:what is this about.....rd 1 pic 7..from arizona.......WHAT?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/min

It's a direct link to the Yahoo Vike home page. What gives? :confused:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

VikingLord wrote: That's the pick Minnesota got from that game against Arizona where the Cardinals threw it into the corner of the endzone from 4th-and-forever with no time left on the clock to win and knock the Vikings out of the playoffs. After reviewing that play, the league awarded the Vikings a future 1st rounder of the Cardinals to mitigate the extensive depression that fell over Vikingdom after that loss. However, the "catch" was that the Cardinals could choose the pick and year they would hand over their 1st rounder, and the Cardinals strategically chose a year when there is no tangible difference between the talent available at pick #7 and pick #32 in the 1st round.

* Disclaimer - the above is fictional. Any resemblance to real events, persons, pro football teams, or NFL drafts is unintentional. The author of this post is absolved of any responsibility for readers of this post to actually believe the Vikings somehow obtained a top-10 pick in any draft with zero compensation to the team that owns the pick.
This. is. awesome! You get the "Post Of The Day Award." If there was such a thing that is. lol. :thumbsup:
Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

headless_norseman wrote:
It's a direct link to the Yahoo Vike home page. What gives? :confused:
that should be round 7 pick 7 (213 overall)

Minnesota has a #7 from Arizona (completion of trade for CB AJ Jefferson)
Viva la Vikings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Viva la Vikings »

Word is the Cowboys are dangling their 18th pick. Wouldn't mind trading up for our 25 and a 3rd for Ogletree If he's still available. Then nab a WR at 23.
Meet at the Quarterback. -Purple People Eaters
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

I was at that crap game! It's always fun walking out of a game in your gear at the opponents home when you lose. I remember one of their fans saying "thanks for the revenue" as we walked out.

Back on topic, tomorrow should be fun.
Randy
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Greg wrote:
Minnesota has a #7 from Arizona (completion of trade for CB AJ Jefferson)

Thanks for the knowledge. I was actually wondering about that one from the Cards.

-- Bud Grant
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Now that I think about it. I wouldn't mind trading up to get Te'o. Depending on how high we jump up.
Deadpool
Rookie

Post by Deadpool »

JEC334 wrote:Now that I think about it. I wouldn't mind trading up to get Te'o. Depending on how high we jump up.
I'm okay with it, as long as it's only a 4th rounder or lower, to jump 4-5 spots ahead of the Bears to get Manti.

We need to keep our 3rd rounder.

I want Patterson or Hunter with one of our 1st rounders!
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

The past 1-2 days I've heard from several people, or so, attaching Robert Woods with the Vikes, and that would not surpise me at all. But the other real question is, what are the odds that the Vikes end up taking a CB or even another S to go along with Smith instead of a LB, as we can target that LB in the 2nd along with a DT in the 3rd.

-- Bud Grant
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

headless_norseman wrote:The past 1-2 days I've heard from several people, or so, attaching Robert Woods with the Vikes, and that would not surpise me at all. But the other real question is, what are the odds that the Vikes end up taking a CB or even another S to go along with Smith instead of a LB, as we can target that LB in the 2nd along with a DT in the 3rd.
My belief is the Vikes think they are set at safety with a competition between Sanford/Raymond/Blanton. In addition to RB or OT, safety is one position I would be shocked they drafted in the first two rounds (the first round in particular). Corner is a significant need. It wouldn't surprise me to see them take Rhodes, Hayden or Trufant in the first round, though historically they don't draft corners that high. I think DT-LB-WR are the three most likely selections at the bottom of the first round.

I wouldn't mind Woods at all, preferably after trading back and acquiring another second-rounder.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Deadpool
Rookie

Post by Deadpool »

dead_poet wrote: My belief is the Vikes think they are set at safety with a competition between Sanford/Raymond/Blanton. In addition to RB or OT, safety is one position I would be shocked they drafted in the first two rounds (the first round in particular). Corner is a significant need. It wouldn't surprise me to see them take Rhodes, Hayden or Trufant in the first round, though historically they don't draft corners that high. I think DT-LB-WR are the three most likely selections at the bottom of the first round.

I wouldn't mind Woods at all, preferably after trading back and acquiring another second-rounder.
I can see us trading down and picking up an extra pick or two.. trading down from 25 to 41 with the Bills may be able to get us their 3rd round pick, in addition to something else (a 4th this year or a 3rd next year?). We should still be able to pick a good WR at 41.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns, Bills, and Jets have all expressed interest in trading up into the bottom portion of the first round.
Presumably, these three teams all value a quarterback in the draft, but they don't feel comfortable enough in taking one with their respective top-ten picks. Instead, they would like to wheel and deal to work themselves back into the first round ahead of the Jaguars at pick No. 33. There's a strong chance that all four of Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, Matt Barkley, and Ryan Nassib are available in the 20-32 range.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

dead_poet wrote: My belief is the Vikes think they are set at safety with a competition between Sanford/Raymond/Blanton. In addition to RB or OT, safety is one position I would be shocked they drafted in the first two rounds (the first round in particular). Corner is a significant need. It wouldn't surprise me to see them take Rhodes, Hayden or Trufant in the first round, though historically they don't draft corners that high. I think DT-LB-WR are the three most likely selections at the bottom of the first round.

I think you're mostly right, I should have been more specific by typing in SS, though. I think it comes down to who they have higher on their board between LB's and CB's, and I have a feeling they have 2 LB's rated higher for a 1st round pick than the 2-3 CB's they may like and might be willing to trade up for in the 2nd.

Ironically, we might not even draft another WR after the 1st and end up grabbing a 2nd CB and DT, all by the end of the 4th.

So we might end up with a WR, MLB, CB x2, DT, OG? by the time we are done with thte 4th round. :confused:

-- Bud Grant
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

My belief is the Vikes think they are set at safety with a competition between Sanford/Raymond/Blanton.
The fact that it's even a competition between these three special teamers is insane! I'd love to get a guy in like Elam and forget competition, he's just better than them. Can't get much more average than these three. Might be a bigger talent available as well.

Set with those three :puke: