How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about Christian Ponder as our QB

Excited. You are familiar with Ponder so you feel good about him.
11%
Excited. You don't know him that well but think he might have that "something" and/or you trust Spielman's track record in the 1st round.
15%
Good. You don't know a lot, but feel Musgrave and Frazier will mold him into a top guy.
21%
Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way.
11%
Completely neutral and without judgment. Are able to emotionally detach yourself from the most important position on our team.
11%
Lukewarm. The more you find out makes you less and less excited about his play and durability.
1%
Inconsequential. Injuries, circumstance, free agency, or the play of Webb will keep Ponder's playing time minimal so he'll never become our "guy" anyway.
1%
Disappointed. Wished we picked somebody else and need time to get over it.
15%
Upset. Feel things won't work out with Ponder and it'll take several seasons before we finally move on to someone else.
14%

Total votes: 73

PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

Post by PurpleHalo »

Hey everyone!

Let me tell yall something, the more I hear about this guy, the more I like him. This guy was not going to make it to the Vikings 2nd round pick, I am sure of it. Sure I wanted Locker, when I saw him go I was hoping it was just Mel showing highlights of him for filler. But nope, that dream was dead, than I tried to get myself prepared for Mallett, and I was rather quiet when the Ponder pick came.

A couple blurbs about this guy:

Considered very intelligent, and will study his opponents, which very well can mean 1st in the film room, last out. All the winning QBs in the NFL have this trait.

On the last Sunday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis, he was the most impressive of all the QBs in throwing drills, and also showed the best velocity. His velocity was apparently down because of a bursa sac issue previously.

I like him as an NFL prospect more than I do Newton or Mallett, even Gabbert, two of which went before him, but who almost all ranked ahead of him.
This space available for rent.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I can't believe how many people are furious or sucidal over this. I understand being upset with the reach, but he could have gone mid/late first, so it isn't that much of a reach. You'd think they drafted Brad Childress as the coach or something by reading some of the posts here.
+1

The Vikings need a QB of the future and we've got a legitimate prospect after putting it off for *far* too long. Sure he could fail ... so could any other player we could have drafted.

Funnily enough, since so many "experts" had Bower ranked so much higher everybody would have been fine with that pick ... yet as the draft has shown that would have obviously been an even bigger reach as none of the other teams picked him either.

Could it be that the Vikings staff, who have actually had a fair amount of draft success, didn't make as big of a reach as many think they did?
Vikings4life
Starter

Post by Vikings4life »

Coming into the draft I was hoping we would take Ponder in the 2nd round if he was still there. NOT WITH THE 12TH OVERALL PICK :wallbang:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I can't believe how many people are furious or sucidal over this. I understand being upset with the reach, but he could have gone mid/late first, so it isn't that much of a reach. You'd think they drafted Brad Childress as the coach or something by reading some of the posts here.

LOL!

The sky falls during every draft. ;)

Jim
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:I went with "Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way."

I'm keeping an open mind.

Jim

Same, as I've stated before I actually LIKE him as a player, and as I learn more about him it does sound like there is more potential here than I originally thought. I still can't forgive them for the reach and essentially letting themselves be bullied into the pick but whatever. My hope now is that because of the injuries it masked some of his ability and without that he may have even been considered a top 10 pick, who knows! It all sounds like he was coming on strong though as he finally got healthy and the draft just happened before he could really shine.

It'll be unfortunate if he's the matt schaub type, good enough when healthy but rarely is.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Where's "wait and see"? Or "I like the pick, but not at 12"?

I think we could have traded down to later in the first and still gotten him, as well as another pick or two.

As far as the quarterback himself is concerned, I think he's going to be pretty good, with a chance to be really good. He's been moving up draft boards because of his intelligence, work ethic leadership and throwing ability. Not elite arm strength, but good. And a lot of people believe he has that certain quality that winning quarterbacks need. He and Mallett are probably the most NFL-ready of all the QBs out there ... when's the last time the Vikings took a QB for which you could say THAT? I'm a little scared of his injury history. He's a tough guy ... sometimes tough guys at the QB position end up hurt.

No matter what any of us think, he's a Viking, and he's our quarterback of the future ... if not the present. I hope Vikings fans will get behind him. I plan to.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Where's "wait and see"? Or "I like the pick, but not at 12"?

I think we could have traded down to later in the first and still gotten him, as well as another pick or two.
In theory, I agree but trading down requires a willing trade partner. When the Vikes were on the clock, ESPN reported that they were trying to trade down. They clearly didn't manage to make a trade so perhaps trading down really wasn't an option.
As far as the quarterback himself is concerned, I think he's going to be pretty good, with a chance to be really good. He's been moving up draft boards because of his intelligence, work ethic leadership and throwing ability. Not elite arm strength, but good. And a lot of people believe he has that certain quality that winning quarterbacks need. He and Mallett are probably the most NFL-ready of all the QBs out there ... when's the last time the Vikings took a QB for which you could say THAT? I'm a little scared of his injury history. He's a tough guy ... sometimes tough guys at the QB position end up hurt.

No matter what any of us think, he's a Viking, and he's our quarterback of the future ... if not the present. I hope Vikings fans will get behind him. I plan to.

Well said!

Jim
freddyfsu
Waterboy

Post by freddyfsu »

My screen name says it all - I'm FSU through and through, so I come here totally biased. I think you got a great QB in CP7. His two knocks - arm strength and durability - I think are blown out of proportion. Also, consider that he played through his injuries to his bursa sac, and I think that speaks volumes about who this guy is. This guy is a leader, confident in his ability, and I think you all will love him as a winner and face of the team (as all QBs are). Congratulations!! From what I understand, our coach said that your staff fell in love with him because of his ability to read defenses and understand the mental aspect of the game more than the other QBs out there. I understand there were other QBs your staff would have taken as well, but I don't think he will let you down.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

freddyfsu wrote:My screen name says it all - I'm FSU through and through, so I come here totally biased. I think you got a great QB in CP7. His two knocks - arm strength and durability - I think are blown out of proportion. Also, consider that he played through his injuries to his bursa sac, and I think that speaks volumes about who this guy is. This guy is a leader, confident in his ability, and I think you all will love him as a winner and face of the team (as all QBs are). Congratulations!! From what I understand, our coach said that your staff fell in love with him because of his ability to read defenses and understand the mental aspect of the game more than the other QBs out there. I understand there were other QBs your staff would have taken as well, but I don't think he will let you down.

Welcome. Did you see him play many games?? I have actually never watched him play. I like the pick, as we desperately need a QB and like what Ive read and watched about him. Seems to have "IT". Which, outside of Favre, the Vikings QBs have lacked the "it" factor for a long, long time. His toughness and attitude dont seem too far from Locker, Ponder just doesnt seem as durable, which, honestly, could be a huge issue behind this OL!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: In theory, I agree but trading down requires a willing trade partner. When the Vikes were on the clock, ESPN reported that they were trying to trade down. They clearly didn't manage to make a trade so perhaps trading down really wasn't an option.
Thanks for that info, Jim. I didn't get to watch the draft, so I wasn't aware they were trying to trade down.

And considering the Cleveland and Jacksonville trades, there probably weren't any trade partners left.
Mothman wrote:
Well said!

Jim
Thanks again!

I'm just really tired of us Vikings fans having to grouse about whether TJack deserves another chance, or reaching into the bottom of the way-back bag to bring someone like Brett Favre out of retirement, or constantly checking the waiver wire for Eagles cast-offs. Now we have a guy to develop and build around. I'm excited to see how he does.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

purple guy wrote:
Welcome. Did you see him play many games?? I have actually never watched him play. I like the pick, as we desperately need a QB and like what Ive read and watched about him. Seems to have "IT". Which, outside of Favre, the Vikings QBs have lacked the "it" factor for a long, long time. His toughness and attitude dont seem too far from Locker, Ponder just doesnt seem as durable, which, honestly, could be a huge issue behind this OL!
Read my post on this thread on this page, its one under yours. I watched him play every game for his entire career at FSU.
Duchene
Veteran

Post by Duchene »

Glad to see that we still have some optimistic fans on here. It could be a great pick, maybe the next ROY as we have had 2 of the last 4... QBs are so hard to grade before they actually play in the NFL. Excited to see what we get tonight and tomorrow. Skol Vikings.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Duchene wrote:Glad to see that we still have some optimistic fans on here. It could be a great pick, maybe the next ROY as we have had 2 of the last 4... QBs are so hard to grade before they actually play in the NFL. Excited to see what we get tonight and tomorrow. Skol Vikings.
count me in. my best friend is a die hard nole fan so i have been hearing about ponder forever!

on that note...did any of you guys do the qb draft challenge on the dan patrick show? you pick the first 6 qbs taken in the draft and in what order. so far i'm doing well.... :thumbsup:
i'm ready for a beer.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

While I like Ponder as a player, I absolutely hate the value picking him at 12. I think there's at least a 50% chance of getting him or Mallet by the time our 2nd round pick rolls around.

Fairley would have been my pick.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Mothman wrote: In theory, I agree but trading down requires a willing trade partner. When the Vikes were on the clock, ESPN reported that they were trying to trade down. They clearly didn't manage to make a trade so perhaps trading down really wasn't an option.
Yep, takes two to tango. Ponder was not likely to be there for us at 43. It sounds like he was the guy the Vikes wanted. So, why take the chance? If no trade down 5-10 picks was available, just take him.