Announcements, suggestions, comments, or problems with Vikingsmessageboard.com

Moderator: Moderators

mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

hey guys, i think i noticed something that is not on the new boards that was on the old ones. i'll try to explain...

when i used to visit a section and scan over vikings talk, but not actually read any of the threads, it would still un-highlight the posts in that section the next time I visited if no new posts were added. maybe I am being crazy, but I swear it would un-highlight even if i didn't read each thread in that section when i'd visit the next time to that section and no new posts had been made.

is that something that was changed on purpose or can you turn that back on? its a nice way for me to scan which sections actually have new posts from the last time i came in from the last time i visited.

let me know if that doesn't make sense. or if its a pain, just thought you might not have noticed. thought that was a cool old feature.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Re: new posts

Post by Kansas Viking »

That's strange. It seems to be working for me. I popped onto the board just now and instantly noticed that there was a new post in the Site Suggestions and some in Vikings Talk. In fact I'm finding that it is working much better now than with the old software.

There seems to be some cookie issues that people may be having. It could be related to the pathway to the old board. Have you purged your cache and dumped your cookies since we started the new version? If not, you may try doing that and see if it helps.
Mike

glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

I think I know what you're talking about and it did change. In phpbb2, the board's tracking of unread topics was not kept session to session, it was only based on topics with new posts since your last visit that you hadn't hit on this visit. In phpbb3, it actually stores whether you've read a topic or not in the database, so if you skip some and come back later, they'll still show unread.

If you want to clear topics from being "unread", there's a link at the top of each forum when you're in it "Mark Topics Read" and one at the index "Mark Forums Read" that'll hit all forums.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

I noticed the same thing, but I like it better this way.

When interrupted or something reading the old board all topics with new replies would be gone. Now, I can come back and pick up where I left off, or, hit "Mark Topics Read" after I've looked at everything I'm interested in. It is better to have a choice.

John
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

glg wrote:I think I know what you're talking about and it did change. In phpbb2, the board's tracking of unread topics was not kept session to session, it was only based on topics with new posts since your last visit that you hadn't hit on this visit. In phpbb3, it actually stores whether you've read a topic or not in the database, so if you skip some and come back later, they'll still show unread.

If you want to clear topics from being "unread", there's a link at the top of each forum when you're in it "Mark Topics Read" and one at the index "Mark Forums Read" that'll hit all forums.
cool thanks :)
thats what i was looking for. thought i was going crazy.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Thanks for the explanation Geoff. I misunderstood the question. Plus, I didn't know it would keep the posts new that I had not read. I always tried to make it through all the posts because I figured it would mark them read after I closed out the browser.
Mike