Parking for pats game

Check here for Game Tickets and Tailgate happenings! Plus Travel Information for your stay during the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Parking for pats game

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Hello! A buddy and I are driving to mpls for the game Sunday morning from fargo. We plan to get to the cities around 8 30. We were thinking about getting a 20 dollar parking pass to the lot by the state fair and taking a shuttle to the game. I have heard parking and traffic are crazy around the stadium. We plan on drinking some beers and grilling some ribs and chicken wings also tossing a football around. Is this a good plan? Or does anyone have a suggestion for parking and tailgating. Thanks super pumped for the game!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Parking for pats game

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

I've heard there is tailgating at the state fair area, and that would definitely be a good place to grill out and toss a football around:http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3557238.shtml. Traffic around the stadium is indeed quite bad. I had no problem lightrailing to and from the stadium during the preseason though. Most TCF lots also have tailgating but you would probably have some trouble getting out after the game. As to which is a better place to tailgate, I'm not sure.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Hello! A buddy and I are driving to mpls for the game Sunday morning from fargo. We plan to get to the cities around 8 30. We were thinking about getting a 20 dollar parking pass to the lot by the state fair and taking a shuttle to the game. I have heard parking and traffic are crazy around the stadium. We plan on drinking some beers and grilling some ribs and chicken wings also tossing a football around. Is this a good plan? Or does anyone have a suggestion for parking and tailgating. Thanks super pumped for the game!
The State Fair grounds have a huge lot so should be ideal for tailgaiting. You should be fine taking the shuttle to the game but I'd be concerned about taking it back. Might end up waiting an extended amount of time as there won't be enough shuttle buses to accommodate everyone at once and those buses will be fighting the traffic to and from.

If I was getting there at 8:30 I'd try to move that up an hour and then first try the lots behind Mariucci Arena. It's a $20 fee, normally should be $8 for event parking but I guess the UoM is going to cash in. The atmosphere should be great and you're right next to TCF Stadium. Getting out will be a mess, but it's going to be a mess almost everywhere.

My plan B, if the lots around TCF are full, would be to use the large surface lot near St. Anthony Main, between University and 2nd St (head back on 4th St and hang a left at 2nd St). It's an easy walk to TCF about 15 blocks. The advantage is that is only 4 blocks to the exit ramp to 35W assuming of course that you can get on University. Event parking is $25 (don't know if they plan on having a "special rate" for Vikings games).

Lastly, if you're used to using any of the surface lots around the Metrodome that is also an option. Just take the Green Line at the Downtown East station. Should be no problem getting to TCF (just a few minutes) but getting back will be an issue. I heard the wait time for the Green Line was considerable after both preseason games (blocks long).

Good Luck
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I just read that you can't use charcoal grills???? That sucks.... I can't fit my gas grill in my car....