Officiating points of emphasis in 2014

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Officiating points of emphasis in 2014

Post by dead_poet »

FOX Sports analyst and former Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira said the biggest points of emphasis in the NFL's officiating clinic were illegal contact and defensive holding.

"Last time the NFL had this as a major emphasis was 2004," Pereira continued, "and the number of illegal contact fouls went from 79 to 191." What this may look like in practice is unknown, but it appears the league is cracking down on the physical cornerback play many of the best defenses in the league are built on. This is yet another move which should increase passing and offensive success throughout the league.

---
Concerning for the Vikings' shift to more man-to-man and physical press coverage.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Re: Officiating points of emphasis in 2014

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:FOX Sports analyst and former Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira said the biggest points of emphasis in the NFL's officiating clinic were illegal contact and defensive holding.

"Last time the NFL had this as a major emphasis was 2004," Pereira continued, "and the number of illegal contact fouls went from 79 to 191." What this may look like in practice is unknown, but it appears the league is cracking down on the physical cornerback play many of the best defenses in the league are built on. This is yet another move which should increase passing and offensive success throughout the league.

---
Concerning for the Vikings' shift to more man-to-man and physical press coverage.
Especially concerning for Rhodes seeing as how he was having problems under the older more "lax" rules.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Especially concerning for Rhodes seeing as how he was having problems under the older more "lax" rules.
He was? I thought he did quite well once he was permitted to play.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I would assume the Packers are exempt from the rules, especially at home games..
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: He was? I thought he did quite well once he was permitted to play.
From what I saw, he seems to struggle with keeping his hands off guys past 5 yards. It was also evident in some of the minicamp videos that came out from this year. We'll see, he definitely looked like he improved as time went on but he's a physical corner and I think this rule will hurt his development.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I would assume the Packers are exempt from the rules, especially at home games..
:lol:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Smart.

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I would assume the Packers are exempt from the rules, especially at home games..
laughs a lot of truth in that statement ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!