Who do you want in round 1?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

C/G Billy Price
No votes
OG Isaigh Wynn
23%
CB Josh Jackson
8%
C/G Frank Ragnow
31%
OG Will Hernandez
23%
C/G James Daniels
8%
EDGE Marcus Davenport
8%
OT Brian O'Neill
No votes
TE Dallas Goedert
No votes
OT Connor Williams
No votes

Total votes: 13

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Who's the (realistic) guy you'll be super excited about us drafting? This includes even if you want Rick to trade down. I excluded a couple guys that I think will be gone (Hurst, Alexander). You can pick two.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Re: Who do you want in round 1?

Post by S197 »

Wynn would be ideal but likely gone. Taven Bryan might be a good pick if he's around, interior OL depth seems to be better than DT. I can see Price being available in the 2nd. Ragnow is apparently shooting up the boards.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I like what I've read about Ragnow. Plus, he's a homegrown boy. I like that narrative.

I need to study up on the rest of the options included here, honestly. I want to get stronger in the trenches first and foremost on both O and D.

Has Tevan Bryan shot up the boards lately too? I remember thinking he might be attainable mid 2nd at one point.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I don't watch college football but I've been listening to so called experts and reading draft profiles and it really sounds like Ragnow would be a great fit (along with a total Viking name to bat). The Brandon Thorne interview with Matthew Coller was really interesting. The guy really seems to know his stuff and I liked the fact that they went into the schematic fit along with the players' strengths and weaknesses. I think that gets overlooked a lot in some of these pre-drafts processes.

In case anyone is interested http://www.1500espn.com/podcast/2018/04 ... ts-ep-317/.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Texas Vike wrote:I like what I've read about Ragnow. Plus, he's a homegrown boy. I like that narrative.

I need to study up on the rest of the options included here, honestly. I want to get stronger in the trenches first and foremost on both O and D.

Has Tevan Bryan shot up the boards lately too? I remember thinking he might be attainable mid 2nd at one point.
I've seen him pegged as a 1st rounder but it likely depends on which "expert" list you're looking at. I think given the relatively shallow lack of guys worth a 1st or 2nd at DT, he'll go earlier than expected.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

I picked Wynn and Davenport, but I don't think either will be there. Wynn might now due to the torn labrum.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

If most/all of the OL prospects who could come in and start in 2018 are gone, or the Vikings can't pass up a great prospect at another position who slips a bit, how comfortable are you guys with the OL as currently constructed?

Reiff, Easton, Elflein, ?, Remmers.

Rashod Hill might be able to step up at RT and push Remmers inside , otherwise its Compton, Andrews, Isadora competing for the RG spot.

I think its worth noting that many of the OL selected from schools outside of the major OL factories (iowa, ND, Ohio State, Wisc, etc) do not come in remotely pro ready. Will Wynn and Hernandez and Ragnow have a learning curve that keeps them from starting this year? RG seems to me like the only position of both Major and immediate need, but what if they don't think they can get that at 30?

I'm really curious to see how this draft goes if they pass on a G with their first pick. It'd be alarming, but I'd also hate for them to reach just to get position of need.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'd be very uncomfortable. I hope the contingency plan if those guys are gone is trade down and take Price. I'd have to think the Vikings are fairly confident they'll land a quality guard since they made no effort in free agency to grab one (other than Compton but he was a 1/1 with Sirles).
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm going round and round on this, but I think my ideal draft would have the first 3 picks be something like

R1. Will Hernandez G UTEP
R2. Braden Smith G Aub
R3. Kalen Ballade RB Ari St.

Hernandez had a great combo of power and athleticism. He's my starting LG day 1. Smith has great power and drive at the point of attack. Reiff and Remmers are both better run blockers than pass blockers, with good movement skills. Combine that with an explosive RB who looks to deliver the blow, the return of Dalvin Cook and his versatility, and I think you see the vikings able to establish a physical and consistent run game which should create great opportunities for Thielen and Diggs downfield, or Rudolph in the seam.

The vikings lack of physicality in the trenches got exposed against Philly and they need to improve it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins