2016 draft: offensive linemen to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2016 draft: offensive linemen to watch

Post by Texas Vike »

Great thread, lots of solid info per usual, DP.

I watched most of the bowl games yesterday. Michigan State made our OL look good. I couldn't believe how ferocious Alabama's DL looked and how ineffective MSU's OL was in giving Cook some time to set up and see the field. Zimmer must be intrigued by some of those Crimson Tide D-linemen, DE Jonathan Allen in particular. I would stay a long ways away from Jake Conklin OL MSU, just based on last night's performance.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Isaac Seumalo - G - Beavers

Oregon State redshirt junior OL Isaac Seumalo is leaning towards declaring for the 2016 NFL Draft, according to Josh Norris.

Seumalo is in his fourth year but technically a redshirt junior after missing the entire 2014 season. Seumalo started 25 times prior to the 2014 season, 23 at center and two at right tackle. he has played plenty of guard this season, and at a high level. Many west coast scouts like what they have seen.
Source: Josh Norris on Twitter

---
Adrian Bellard - G - Bobcats

Texas State senior G/T Adrian Bellard has accepted an invite to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

Bellard will have a chance to strut his stuff against other invites on January 23. The 6-foot-5, 345-pound senior's strength comes in blocking for the run. He was a four-star recruit out of high school and played in 11 games as a true freshman. This past season, he earned a spot on the Outland Trophy Preseason Watch List. Per NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter over the summer, Bellard has "surprising mobility given his build."
Source: NFLPA Collegiate Bowl
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

I remember watching Seumalo quite a bit before the injury and liking him a lot at center. With his versatility, he could be an ideal pick for the Vikings. You bring back Sullivan and Berger, and you have the chance to groom a center slowly. But it would be a plus if that future center had the versatility to provide depth elsewhere while he develops. I'm eager to watch some of his tape from 2015.

The other player I'd like to see more of is Denver Kirkland. I remember him absolutely demolishing at RG for the Razorbacks. I haven't seen him at LT yet.

Seems like there is a bit of a conundrum on the OL for the Vikings this offseason, with Sullivan and Loadholt coming off injury, Harris a FA, and Fusco underperforming. Just my two cents, but I think OL is the one position outside QB that is suffering from the biggest lack of talent in today's NFL. There are so many teams out there with a lack of OL talent. So I just can't see letting go of players who are potentially quality starters. I'd keep them all and draft to replace guys like Sirles, Shepherd, etc. with stronger depth that can develop to replace aging veterans. I don't see this team as needing so much extra cap space that they should be cutting veteran OL this offseason. The option to do so will still be there down the road, and at that point it won't create as much dead money.

The clearest road, in my view, to fixing this unit is to keep Sullivan, Loadholt, Fusco, and Harris and invest a couple picks as well. Minnesota still has the luxury of doing that with so many rookie contracts remaining. As extensions come up in the next season or two, those veteran OL can be released in favor of the guys who had a chance to develop behind them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Banquo wrote:The other player I'd like to see more of is Denver Kirkland. I remember him absolutely demolishing at RG for the Razorbacks. I haven't seen him at LT yet.
Kirkland is an interesting prospect. I've seen scouts have a first to fourth-round grade on him. I know he did a heck of a job at RG last year (only allowed one sack I believe). He's one of the biggest dudes out there at 6'5/343. Even though he played LT this year I think he's probably better suited to guard. I think Kiper has him as his top rated guard (or did at one point), even over the more lauded Cody Whitehair.
Seems like there is a bit of a conundrum on the OL for the Vikings this offseason, with Sullivan and Loadholt coming off injury, Harris a FA, and Fusco underperforming.
It's a HUGE conundrum. Don't forget that Kalil's contract will also be tough as he's scheduled to make $11 million on the last year of his rookie contract. I can't imagine Rick will let him play it out at that price. A short-term contract extension seems to make the most sense for both sides but while he's done better this year (probably right around average if not a bit below for a starting NFL left tackle) I think long-term they need to look for an upgrade there. I don't trust his knees or his overall talent for the long-haul. But you're right that Sullivan and Loadholt's injuries make them question marks (though as I've mentioned before Loadholt's injury isn't necessarily a career-ender. It happened early in the year and players have come back from this injury to perform well, the most notable being Philadelphia's Jason Peters).
Just my two cents, but I think OL is the one position outside QB that is suffering from the biggest lack of talent in today's NFL. There are so many teams out there with a lack of OL talent.
I agree. Thanks in part to injuries we're currently one of them.
The clearest road, in my view, to fixing this unit is to keep Sullivan, Loadholt, Fusco, and Harris and invest a couple picks as well. Minnesota still has the luxury of doing that with so many rookie contracts remaining. As extensions come up in the next season or two, those veteran OL can be released in favor of the guys who had a chance to develop behind them.
That's where I'm at but I'd also like them to look long and hard at a quality free agent to shore up the LG position (Fusco has no business there in 2016). There are a couple names in free agency Rick should look at for immediate upgrade while also grooming young players.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

dead_poet wrote: Kirkland is an interesting prospect. I've seen scouts have a first to fourth-round grade on him. I know he did a heck of a job at RG last year (only allowed one sack I believe). He's one of the biggest dudes out there at 6'5/343. Even though he played LT this year I think he's probably better suited to guard. I think Kiper has him as his top rated guard (or did at one point), even over the more lauded Cody Whitehair.
It's a HUGE conundrum. Don't forget that Kalil's contract will also be tough as he's scheduled to make $11 million on the last year of his rookie contract. I can't imagine Rick will let him play it out at that price. A short-term contract extension seems to make the most sense for both sides but while he's done better this year (probably right around average if not a bit below for a starting NFL left tackle) I think long-term they need to look for an upgrade there. I don't trust his knees or his overall talent for the long-haul. But you're right that Sullivan and Loadholt's injuries make them question marks (though as I've mentioned before Loadholt's injury isn't necessarily a career-ender. It happened early in the year and players have come back from this injury to perform well, the most notable being Philadelphia's Jason Peters).
I agree. Thanks in part to injuries we're currently one of them.
That's where I'm at but I'd also like them to look long and hard at a quality free agent to shore up the LG position (Fusco has no business there in 2016). There are a couple names in free agency Rick should look at for immediate upgrade while also grooming young players.
Kalil, in my opinion, is the toughest call. As crazy as the salary is, I might be inclined to just pay him for the right to keep him for one more season of assessment without a long term commitment. It's an obscene cap number, but I'd rather they pay out for one year to know more precisely what they have and what that's worth as opposed to locking up a bad player to long term money OR cutting a player who ends up being really valuable.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Evaluation by Greg Gabriel: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/bre ... alexander/
Vadal Alexander – OL – LSU

Vadal is a fourth year senior and a four year starter. Played right tackle as a freshman and a senior while he started at left guard as a sophomore and a junior.

Size –

6060 – 330 – 5.30 (all estimates)

Strong Points –

Four year starter with position versatility. Massive man with strength. Productive as a run blocker and pass blocker. Can get movement with run blocks. Good feet and balance.

Weak Points –

Just an average athlete, can be inconsistent getting to blocks on the second level. Doesn’t have the range required to be a top tackle. More strong than explosive, don’t see much snap through his hips.

Summation –

A productive four year starter at two different positions. Big and massive with strength. Might need to lose 10 pounds to be more effective in space and become more explosive. He is well coached and plays hard. Probably won’t start as a rookie but will dress on Sunday because of his position versatility. I see him becoming a starter by year two. His best position is most likely guard because of his athletic limitations.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Graham Glasgow - G - Wolverines

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock says Michigan C Graham Glasgow "looks like an NFL starter."

Glasgow was one of the Day 1 stars on the practice fields of the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Florida. "He was the guy who really stood out to me," Mayock said. "It's a strong year for centers, but he looks like an NFL starter. Very strong. He could compete at the Senior Bowl." NFL Media postulates that Glasgow "could move up to mid-round status as the draft process continues." He has a big fan in Wolverine coach Jim Harbaugh. "Graham Glasgow, what an amazing player," Harbaugh gushed. "He could be a first-round pick, the way he played, the way he's played all year."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Austin Blythe - C - Hawkeyes

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Iowa C Austin Blythe is a sleeper.

Kiper ranks Blythe as the No. 6 center in the class. "He was just so consistently good," Kiper wrote. "The coaches there rave about him." Blythe was consistently one of Pro Football Focus' top-graded run-blocking offensive linemen this past season. And you know the NFL loves them some Iowa offensive linemen.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cody Whitehair - G - Wildcats

A film review of Kansas State OT Cody Whitehair left Rotoworld's Josh Norris disappointed.

"My expectations came back to bite me, as he did not live up to them," Norris wrote. "Obviously Whitehair is not Zack Martin or Brandon Scherff, but he has powerful hands and a wide base to control his opponent when in proper position." All that said, Norris ranks Whitehair as the No. 19 overall draft prospect. The 6-foot-4, 309-pounder was named to the Big 12 first-team in 2015.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

The Breeze wrote:Is it just me, or are there a lot of quality OL guys in this draft?
Sounds like we should take full advantage this year considering the glut at positions of need.
I have to say that the LB issue was finally addressed at least enough to keep me quiet for a minute so now the next glaring need is the O-line. I am sure that it will be upgraded this draft.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jason Spriggs - T - Hoosiers

Indiana T Jason Spriggs ranked No. 20 in PFF's run-block grades and No. 5 in its pass-block grades last year.

Spriggs allowed only 13 pressures. "His athleticism was on full display in Tuesday’s practice, particularly with his footwork," the PFF gang wrote from the Senior Bowl. "He consistently was able to mirror pass-rushers, even when they came at him with counter moves. Because he is better as a pass-protector than as a mauling run-blocker, he’s likely a better fit in a zone-heavy scheme than a power scheme. But he could be really highly valued by NFL teams that put a premium on athleticism on the offensive line. We wouldn’t be surprised if he emerges as a rising prospect in the coming weeks and months." Last month, CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang indicated that scouts were "excited about his upside." Rang believes Spriggs can stick at left tackle, too, given his "size and athleticism."
Source: Pro Football Focus
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jason Spriggs - T - Hoosiers
'
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah noted that while Indiana T Jason Spriggs failed to show consistency on film, "he put together a steady, dependable week of [Senior Bowl] practice."

Jeremiah termed Spriggs' practice week as "outstanding," as the 6-foot-7, 307-pounder "displayed quick feet, balance and knee bend." The draft analyst went on to write that he believes Spriggs will be off the draft board by the end of the second round and could even earn talk as a potential first round selection. The now-former Hoosier is an athletic pass-blocking savant, allowing just 13 pressures during the 2015 campaign.
Source: NFL.com
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Sounds like we should take full advantage this year considering the glut at positions of need.
I have to say that the LB issue was finally addressed at least enough to keep me quiet for a minute so now the next glaring need is the O-line.
:lol:
I am sure that it will be upgraded this draft.
Let's hope so! Otherwise, I have a feeling neither one of us will be too quiet about it.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: :lol:
Let's hope so! Otherwise, I have a feeling neither one of us will be too quiet about it.
:lol: :thumbsup:
I am sure that we won't the only ones if the draft falls short of expectations. The OL has generated the most animosity this year even though it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I am hoping that the draft falls just right to the Vikings and will be immediately better after the draft.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cody Whitehair - G - Wildcats

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein equated Kansas State OT Cody Whitehair to Zack Martin.
This is a ubiquitous comparison that has been made by a host of analysts from CBS Sports' Dane Brugler to Zierlein's colleague Mike Mayock (for the record, Rotoworld's Josh Norris disagrees with it). "Like Martin before him, Whitehair played tackle in college but projects as a guard in the pros," Zierlein wrote. "Like the two-time Pro Bowl selection Martin, Whitehair has really good body control and strength and both come into the league with high floors." Zierlein, a respected evaluator of offensive linemen, pegs Whitehair as the No. 16 player in the class.
Source: NFL.com Feb 15 - 8:43 PM

---

Rees Odhiambo - T - Broncos

Boise State T Rees Odhiambo's "draft grade will hinge on medical exams," writes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

Odhiambo has struggled with health throughout his career, suffering from linger lower leg issues as an underclassman before a broken ankle eight games into last season ended his campaign early. "Odhiambo has been stamped with a second-round grade by a number of teams based off his game film," Pauline wrote. "Several scouts believe the 6-4 lineman can turn into an All-Pro at guard, assuming he stays healthy. I’m told there’s a chance Odhiambo participates in offensive line drills at the Combine after medical exams. Pro Day for Boise State is scheduled for March 31, and hopes are high he completes a full workout for teams at that time."

---

Joe Thuney - G - Wolfpack

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that "many" NFL scouts believe NC State OL Joe Thuney "will exit the Combine with improved draft grades."

"Lining up at left tackle for North Carolina State last season, Thuney is expected to test as one of the better blockers in attendance and I’m told teams will be impressed with his interviews," Pauline wrote. "He’s known as a thinking man’s blocker and can play any of the three interior offensive line positions, which further enhances his draft stock." Rotoworld's Josh Norris is a fan of Thuney's, calling him one of the very best prospects he scouted at the East-West Shrine Game. "An offensive lineman who can play five different positions, perhaps three well, has value on an NFL team," Norris wrote. "Thuney’s best spot is likely along the interior."