PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Post by dead_poet »

Can someone tell me why it's a big deal for college students to accept money for signing their own name on their own photos?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:Can someone tell me why it's a big deal for college students to accept money for signing their own name on their own photos?
Because ... uh ... integrity ... yeah!

The schools own these players and any money made on their back should go directly to the school, didn't you know that?

It's a crock and it's unfair. The schools are making money hand over fist from the players and repaying only with a scholarship that actually costs the school very little (seeing as they'd have to run the classes those players will be in anyway ... )

Then again, I suppose if it were that bad of a system student/players would stop accepting the scholarships.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:Can someone tell me why it's a big deal for college students to accept money for signing their own name on their own photos?
Why would it be a big deal to allow college players to be paid? :wink:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Its one of 80,000 possible ways around universities and their boosters not being allowed to funnel money to college athletes. all 80,000 ways are against NCAA regulations. I think its silly as all get out, and I think big time college players should be able to market their skills to the highest bidder.

The NFL should start a D league where these guys can go play and get paid for a couple years before they get called up. If the NCAA doesn't want to pay players, just gut them of their talent by having 32 D teams and a HS draft.

It would be awesome!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Beo wrote:Give me Randall Cobb, Mike Iupati, and Kareem Jackson in free agency with all the money we will have and then give me PHP's first 3 picks of Collins, Gurley, and Perryman and we will be locked and loaded for a Super Bowl appearance within 2-3 years. Our offense would be sick and Collins, Perryman, and Jackson would fill in what I think are the 3 weak spots on Defense.
Agreed 80%
I am a McKinnon fan. I do though think Gurley will be good, but RB 's need good OL.
So I would prefer the best OL with a 2nd rd pick. Then a decent RB in the 4th to add to McKinnon for depth.
Just my 2 cents.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

IIsweet wrote: Agreed 80%
I am a McKinnon fan. I do though think Gurley will be good, but RB 's need good OL.
So I would prefer the best OL with a 2nd rd pick. Then a decent RB in the 4th to add to McKinnon for depth.
Just my 2 cents.
I've been craving to do a new mock but to be honest, it's so hard to make realistic predictions when we have no clue what will happen with AP. Do we keep him? Do we trade him and get more picks? Do we release him outright? It's tough to figure out until we know whats going on with 28
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Looks like RB Tevin Coleman from Indiana is starting to make some heads turn. Got some coverage on Yahoo for being a long shot for the Heisman.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

If I were the GM, the Vikings would sign Iupati and Cameron in FA. Then I would draft Scherff in RD1. That would create a dominating run blocking line with Scherff, Iupati, Sullivan, Fusco, and Loadholt. Cameron gives the option to run 2TE sets with frequency and diminishes the need to add players at WR, where a lot of our young guys still have upside. Nothing will help Teddy more than a dominating run game.

Also allows the rest of draft to focus on the defensive side of the ball or BPA.

Where does that leave Kalil? I don't know but he's a question mark either way and he doesn't fit the mold of a power blocker anyway. Add to that, its his last year under contract. I doubt the Vikings pick up his option. Basically he'll be good depth at the tackle position for the upcoming year and then likely become a free agent.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PHP, you are insane!!! :thumbsup: Insanely crazy about the Vikings, that is!!! :rofl:
Man, I love these mocks and they are fun to read. I don't agree with some of your picks/signings but some we definitely should see to fruition.
I have been using the draft simulator here lately and I restructured Greenway and signed some of the players that you did, i.e. Boling and Tom Johnson, and could not get them for the price that you have them at. Ducasse also cost me just a tad more. I don't know how much credence everyone puts in the simulator but it has to be at least close to what salary expectations are or what an eventual signing would be. I tried to sign Boling for about 2mil a year the first time I used the simulator and kept progressing but he signed with another team after around 4 attempts. I only got one player that I wanted out of FA. Overpaid for Orlando McClain but by the time I ran out of time I just threw some money at him so I could start over. Boling was the main player I was trying to simulate and after a couple more attempts, he ended up costing me 4.5 million a year and a 3 year contract. I wanted to sign McCourty too but I looked at what the simulator signed him for and it was in the 9mil range so I didn't even pursue him after the first attempt.
Now as far as the pure draft goes, I definitely would not be disappointed if we picked Collins and Perryman. I don't think that drafting Gurley is a value at the slot where you have him. We will see starting today who else stands out at RB. Until the Vikings announce that AP is no longer with the team, he is a Viking and still has supreme value for the team, on the field. This may be the year to move up for a wide receiver as the talent pool at the position is bursting at the seams, as it was last year, not two years ago. We will see what happens this year but it may be we need to do something at WR. But I do not see the need necessarily to draft one high on the board but I am sure that even at this moment progress is being checked in on with Patterson.
Thanks for your effort again, it is always food for thought. :thumbsup:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter