PHP's Early Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's Early Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:01 am NOs was a worse team. We beat them at their place in the playoffs.
An upset doesn’t necessarily mean that the team that pulled off the upset is a better team. Were the falcons a better team than the 49ers? Clearly not but Atlanta beat them. Were the cardinals better than the Seahawks? Because Seattle lost late in the season at home when they needed a win. Overall, the saints were the better team this year but we pulled off an upset. I really don’t know what you’re trying to get at here. You’re either saying we were an excellent team because we beat the saints or you’re saying the saints are overrated. Both are wrong. It was simply an upset
I am comparing stats from 5 years ago to stats 5 years ago. A QB in his first full season starting to a QB in his first full season. Apples to apples. Check that, it is still apples to oranges because Cousins had a good line and good veteran receivers to throw too.

I like Teddy because of the unfulfilled promise he represents. I like that his play got better in big spots, not worse. He is being discussed now because someone brought up that arm strength was his problem and the last pick the Vikings made at QB should be discussed when looking at the prospect of taking another QB in the draft.
His play got bigger in big spots? Again, he couldn’t pull out many, if any wins, when AP wasn’t rolling. He was the epitome of needing everything around him to go right in order to win. Guys want to say cousins like that, at least cousins can carry if his running game isn’t churning. Idk if I’ve ever seen teddy pull that off. Mainly in year 2 when he should have made a jump. It was either his defense or AP carrying that team to a win.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:21 pm

An upset doesn’t necessarily mean that the team that pulled off the upset is a better team. Were the falcons a better team than the 49ers? Clearly not but Atlanta beat them. Were the cardinals better than the Seahawks? Because Seattle lost late in the season at home when they needed a win. Overall, the saints were the better team this year but we pulled off an upset. I really don’t know what you’re trying to get at here. You’re either saying we were an excellent team because we beat the saints or you’re saying the saints are overrated. Both are wrong. It was simply an upset
That is the exact opposite of what you said before the game. I believe it was you who talked about the Saints not really having beaten anyone and that they were not better than us.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:21 pm His play got bigger in big spots? Again, he couldn’t pull out many, if any wins, when AP wasn’t rolling. He was the epitome of needing everything around him to go right in order to win. Guys want to say cousins like that, at least cousins can carry if his running game isn’t churning. Idk if I’ve ever seen teddy pull that off. Mainly in year 2 when he should have made a jump. It was either his defense or AP carrying that team to a win.
You know how many times I have heard the excuse that "Cousins can win if he just has a good run game"?

Playing second fiddle to a HOF RB in an offense built to run, not pass the football, in a single season, does not make or break a career. Teddy did have multiple games in 2015 where AP was held under the century mark and the team won, btw. A 300 yard game against Detroit and a 4 TD game against the Bears. The other 6 games where AP did not break 100? The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th best passer rating against defenses in the NFL.

Despite facing a majority of top 8 defenses, consistently being put behind the 8 ball after AP failed to gain anything on 1st and 2nd down, and playing behind an offensive line that allowed a sack once every ten pass attempts, Teddy managed to play better in those games than he did in games where he wasn't asked to carry the team.100+ more passing yards per game, double his TDs per game and fewer picks. So yeah, the numbers back up what I said.

Interestingly enough, the best passer rating against teams Cousins faced this year? Seattle, KC, Chicago and GB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:30 pm

That is the exact opposite of what you said before the game. I believe it was you who talked about the Saints not really having beaten anyone and that they were not better than us.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:21 pm His play got bigger in big spots? Again, he couldn’t pull out many, if any wins, when AP wasn’t rolling. He was the epitome of needing everything around him to go right in order to win. Guys want to say cousins like that, at least cousins can carry if his running game isn’t churning. Idk if I’ve ever seen teddy pull that off. Mainly in year 2 when he should have made a jump. It was either his defense or AP carrying that team to a win.
You know how many times I have heard the excuse that "Cousins can win if he just has a good run game"?

Playing second fiddle to a HOF RB in an offense built to run, not pass the football, in a single season, does not make or break a career. Teddy did have multiple games in 2015 where AP was held under the century mark and the team won, btw. A 300 yard game against Detroit and a 4 TD game against the Bears. The other 6 games where AP did not break 100? The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th best passer rating against defenses in the NFL.

Despite facing a majority of top 8 defenses, consistently being put behind the 8 ball after AP failed to gain anything on 1st and 2nd down, and playing behind an offensive line that allowed a sack once every ten pass attempts, Teddy managed to play better in those games than he did in games where he wasn't asked to carry the team.100+ more passing yards per game, double his TDs per game and fewer picks. So yeah, the numbers back up what I said.

Interestingly enough, the best passer rating against teams Cousins faced this year? Seattle, KC, Chicago and GB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

It is huh? I specifically said I liked our chances because I felt we matched up with them better and do better against pocket passing QBs than mobile ones. And that they also play better when they are the underdog and everyone is doubting them.

On the OTHER hand this is what YOU said:
They are a better team than we are. Much better.
Not only did you say they were better but you said MUCH better. But now you’re saying they were a worse team than we were? Just curious but is this where you start to say Cousins’ win vs them wasn’t that impressive? I’m just waiting for that to come next.

Not sure how many times you’ve heard that excuse but I do know that cousins won games this year without a run game. And as for teddy, I’ve have laid out plenty of times before on here how teddy struggled when AP couldn’t get going. Literally went game by game which I’m not getting into again. Nor am I going to blame the OC or identity of the offense for Teddys struggles. We were a run first offense this year as well. Actually, cousins threw 3 less passes than Teddy did in 2015, but still averaged 8.1 YPA, had 12 more TD passes and 3 less INTs, and knocked off the NFCs top contender (arguably but supposedly not according to you). Regardless, I don’t think the 2 are anywhere near comparable from a pure passing standpoint
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Teddy would be a very solid QB in this Shanahan/Kubiak offensive system but unfortunately both MIN and SF have their wagons hitched to big money QBs, neither of whom are a perfect fit with the system.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins