Gary Kubiak Named OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cogitator
Veteran

Re: Gary Kubiak Named OC

Post by cogitator »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am I believe he uses this position to once again become a HC after next season (maybe take over for Zimmer?)
He was hospitalized in Houston and again in Denver over health issues, both times as HC. I've never seen anything on just what the issues are, but I think it's something that is brought on by stress. I think he's ok with the lower level of pressure as a coordinator, but HC is too much, so I really don't see this happening.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Logical choice for next year and gives us the best chance to be successful next year
We will see what happens. To successfully run this offense against a GOOD DL, they desperately need to get stronger at G and get rid of elflein

How many offenses run a zone scheme??? I don’t know, not trying to create controversy just honestly curious. . Concern is that if this doesn’t work out and they need to blow this up in 2021 ....will the entire OL need to be replaced?
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:55 pm
CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am I believe he uses this position to once again become a HC after next season (maybe take over for Zimmer?)
Gary said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues so it is not going to happen
I believe you are correct RM. Kubiak suffered a TIA (mini stroke) in 2013 and was diognosed with complex migraines in 2016. Stress related issues. I think this is a great hire. He is a disciple of Mike Shanahans offensive coaching philosophy as Kapp mentioned, having served as Mikes OC for several years. Being a QB himself, I think he brings a lot to the table. I agree this should help Kirk a lot as he has a lot of respect for Kubiak. Two things I believe are in play here. First, I don’t think Kubiak would have accepted this role unless he has complete control of the offense. At this stage in his career, he’s not going to have Zimmer looking over his shoulder. Second, just as Mike Shanahan groomed Kyle through the years in progressive positions until he became a HC, Gary has his son Klint by his side. You could make a pretty good case that Gary coming to the Vikings was a package deal, and this just parallels the Shanahan father/son coaching path. Just conjecture on my part, but regardless, I’m thrilled with the hire.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm It gives this team the best chance it can have for next year.
It's better than starting from scratch and starting all over again. This is the first time in awhile we had a leader in the position. Hopefully Zim stays out of the way and puts some effort into getting this D to play much better. The down side is we don't have a true work horse back. Maybe Cook can be that maybe not.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:36 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm It gives this team the best chance it can have for next year.
It's better than starting from scratch and starting all over again. This is the first time in awhile we had a leader in the position. Hopefully Zim stays out of the way and puts some effort into getting this D to play much better. The down side is we don't have a true work horse back. Maybe Cook can be that maybe not.
Given what we are working with, and barring major change, I'd say the big issue is the OL. Cook/Mattison are a good enough duo. Can some combination of Udoh, Samia, Elfline, Bradburry, Dozier, Collins, random draft pick, random fa signing, do enough to get this line turned into a physically powerful, tough, formidable unit, with a nasty streak? No more guards backpedaling 10 yards, no more cheap shots against our guys that go unpunished, no more running plays where our guy gets brought down 4 yards in the backfield. If I have hope here, its based on Samia/Udoh showing they want to get after it when they played against the bears, but they also looked raw.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:36 am
Given what we are working with, and barring major change, I'd say the big issue is the OL. Cook/Mattison are a good enough duo. Can some combination of Udoh, Samia, Elfline, Bradburry, Dozier, Collins, random draft pick, random fa signing, do enough to get this line turned into a physically powerful, tough, formidable unit, with a nasty streak? No more guards backpedaling 10 yards, no more cheap shots against our guys that go unpunished, no more running plays where our guy gets brought down 4 yards in the backfield. If I have hope here, its based on Samia/Udoh showing they want to get after it when they played against the bears, but they also looked raw.
Players develop and it would be ideal if Samia can find his way into the lineup. I'm no expert but just think how big the jump is from college to the pro level. There's no stiffs in the NFL You don't get a game against some weak guy were you can work on stuff. These are the top guys. I tip my hat to O'neil. The kid came in from day 1. I also like Bradberry. He played a very hard position. Even a guy like Birk needed time. Most do. But the kid played his #### off. He took his lumps which was expected. He lacked the base for the NFL level. He'll get that this off season. That's why I like the bigger players. They make lack the tech but won't get pushed around. Our current setup is about movement. That's why we will hit games like SF and just get stuffed. I know it's more complicated than what I'm stating but I'm just pointing out my view. I like the bigger player. Size matters and usually wins.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think this is a solid move. Stefanski did an ok job of running Kubiak's system. It is obvious that Zimmer gets along well with Kubiak and we are already employing several long time Kubiak asisstants at the position level. As Kyle Shanahan is proving in Denver, the system works. I also like the continuity this will bring from last year to this year.

I know the move isn't exciting, but I'm not sure I wanted exciting. I think this works out well for the Vikings in the short term.

My dream team is still Zimmer / Arians, but Bruce decided to be a HC again last year. Oh well.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I like the move because it indicates the Vikings will probably draft OL early this year. Kubiak needs the right talent to run his scheme well and this draft will have some excellent OL talent available where the Vikings pick in any of the 1st 3 rounds.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:48 pm I like the move because it indicates the Vikings will probably draft OL early this year. Kubiak needs the right talent to run his scheme well and this draft will have some excellent OL talent available where the Vikings pick in any of the 1st 3 rounds.
I hope you're right, we need at least one OG, and maybe an OT.
Damian
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

It's the right thing to do at this point. At least we get 2 years in a row with basically the same system.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 am
fiestavike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 am

Players develop and it would be ideal if Samia can find his way into the lineup. I'm no expert but just think how big the jump is from college to the pro level. There's no stiffs in the NFL You don't get a game against some weak guy were you can work on stuff. These are the top guys. I tip my hat to O'neil. The kid came in from day 1. I also like Bradberry. He played a very hard position. Even a guy like Birk needed time. Most do. But the kid played his #### off. He took his lumps which was expected. He lacked the base for the NFL level. He'll get that this off season. That's why I like the bigger players. They make lack the tech but won't get pushed around. Our current setup is about movement. That's why we will hit games like SF and just get stuffed. I know it's more complicated than what I'm stating but I'm just pointing out my view. I like the bigger player. Size matters and usually wins.
Bigger players won’t get pushed around?

Go back and watch Danielle Hunter work against big — and I mean BIG — offensive tackles. He destroys them with both speed and power. Remember his safety against the Panthers in 2016? That was against Michael Oher, who’s 6-6, 320 and the subject of a major motion picture (not applicable to this argument, but a nice-to-know fact). Hunter weighs 265. Hunter put Oher on his a$$ with one thrust to the chest, stepped over him, and got to Newton like a rifle shot. Hunter does this to lots of OTs who are big. Did much the same thing to Andre Dillard (320 lbs) of Philly this year. Powered right over the top of him to get to Carson Wentz.

I don’t care how big you are. If you’re an O-lineman who doesn’t play with good technique, you’ll get destroyed in this league. Big doesn’t always win. Not even close.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.