Stefanski Interviewing

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Stefanski Interviewing

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

News reporting that Stefanski is inteviewing tomorrow for Cleveland HC job. Hey! I have an idea Kevin. Why don't you wait until the games are over? Shouldn't you be spending this short week in preparation for this weeks game? This irritates me.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Stefanski Interviewing

Post by StumpHunter »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:19 pm News reporting that Stefanski is inteviewing tomorrow for Cleveland HC job. Hey! I have an idea Kevin. Why don't you wait until the games are over? Shouldn't you be spending this short week in preparation for this weeks game? This irritates me.
It is what it is. If he waits, they might go with someone else...which is probably a good thing for his career. He clearly wants to be a HC sooner rather than later though.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:19 pm News reporting that Stefanski is inteviewing tomorrow for Cleveland HC job. Hey! I have an idea Kevin. Why don't you wait until the games are over? Shouldn't you be spending this short week in preparation for this weeks game? This irritates me.
It's very frustrating, but it's really hard to blame Kevin. This is potentially a huge opportunity for him, and if I'm in his shoes, as much as I would want to delay it, there is no way I can do and feel comfortable with it. MAYBE a guy with a long track record could delay an interview and the teams would wait, but for a guy like Stefanksi, who is still trying to make a name for himself, you can't expect him to say "Nah, let's wait." IIRC, Shurmur was interviewing with the Giants in 2017 before the Philly game also.

Unfortunately it's the way the NFL is set up currently. I really wish the league would make everyone wait the season is completely done, but I don't see that happening. Teams want to get coaches in and working ASAP.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm
It is what it is. If he waits, they might go with someone else...which is probably a good thing for his career. He clearly wants to be a HC sooner rather than later though.
Almost any coaching job in the NFL would be better for Kevin Stefanski's career than the Cleveland job. With Jimmy Haslem as the owner, that organization is an absolute mess. I mean, they hire Paul DePodesta, a baseball analytics guy, to supposedly run the show. But then they bring in John Dorsey to be the GM, who's about as old-school and non-analytic as you can get. They hire Freddie Kitchens, who probably can't say or spell analytics. They have no idea what they're doing.

But you're right. It's Stefanski's call. If he wants to interview, that's his prerogative. I wish NFL rules stipulated that you couldn't interview a current coach until after the playoffs. But that's not the way it is, so there you go.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm
I agree, I think getting the Brown's job could potentially be a death sentence for his HC career. It's obvious he really wants a HC job though.
Damian
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I'd think a lot more of someone that told them he feels he has an obligation to his current team ,and that if he were THEIR head coach I think they would appreciate it also.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:58 pm I'd think a lot more of someone that told them he feels he has an obligation to his current team ,and that if he were THEIR head coach I think they would appreciate it also.
As someone who hires employees, I would really respect that also. Of course, I've been in a hurry to hire before and have had to move on before talking to some applicants that I think would be really good. You'd like to think that an NFL team would be willing to wait for their guy, but sometimes these teams are run by morons it seems. It's really hard to believe that having someone there for a few weeks sooner would really make that much of a difference.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

I just heard on KFAN that the Browns are coming to town to interview him. So, at least he isn't traveling to Cleveland on top of everything else. It's still a huge distraction unfortunately, but I'm glad we have Kubiak on staff to pick up the slack.
Damian
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Peter King was just talking on PFT this morning that he believes the NFL should make it a rule that no coaching interviews should be allowed to start until after the SB for this very reason.
He summed it up perfectly saying on one side of the guys brain he's thinking about the game plan for his upcoming game and the other side he is thinking about doing well in a HC job interview. He said it isn't fair to him or his current team.
I wholeheartedly agree.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

If Shurmur isn't considered for any other HC jobs, I'd have no problems with Stefanski leaving and getting Shurmur back.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Crax wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:10 pm If Shurmur isn't considered for any other HC jobs, I'd have no problems with Stefanski leaving and getting Shurmur back.
Agreed. But does his style of offense mix well with Kubiak? That would be my only hesitation.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:38 pm Peter King was just talking on PFT this morning that he believes the NFL should make it a rule that no coaching interviews should be allowed to start until after the SB for this very reason.
He summed it up perfectly saying on one side of the guys brain he's thinking about the game plan for his upcoming game and the other side he is thinking about doing well in a HC job interview. He said it isn't fair to him or his current team.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Agree with this x1,000.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Dames wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:29 pm I just heard on KFAN that the Browns are coming to town to interview him. So, at least he isn't traveling to Cleveland on top of everything else. It's still a huge distraction unfortunately, but I'm glad we have Kubiak on staff to pick up the slack.
You hit the nail on the head. It's not like we will have our OL coach pick up the slack. That Browns job is one of the worst spots to take. But there are only what 32 of these jobs. I guess you need to take the interview. Your talking millions in your pocket. He'd be a fool to turn it down. Money talks. Plus if he turns that team around he will be considered a genius. Great opportunity. It's better than what McCarthy took. He'll be a Jones puppet.
CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

Clearly Stefanski doesn't want to stick around much longer and has other fish to fry. Although I do like our offensive system, his play-calling needs a lot of work. I personally believe he is not ready for any HC job, he is barely scraping by at OC!
I wonder who our next OC will be. Any wagers??
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I have a feeling that after tomorrow, or even late tomorrow, you will be hearing that Josh McDaniels will be the next HC of the Browns.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!