Sendejo a Viking again

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Sendejo a Viking again

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I'm a Sunday ticket guy, had it ever since first season, so I always DVR the game as I watch it, then during the week i replay and really watch things closer as I stop and rewind and rewatch it.
I noticed how he played during the game , but last night noticed just how excellent he played Sunday. I know some here domt like him, some even call him a bum, but I always loved the guys play. My only concern was always his penalties because of hit aggressive play and the way the guy just rocks people.
But he was excellent this past week. Of course there was the interception. But one play that stood out in the second half was when a Denver receiver,, on a big 3rd down , as he was being slowed down by I believe Kendricks and someone else, I'm getting ready to head in to work so not home to see for sure, but there were 2 defenders trying to bring him down. He definitely was gonna get be able to go forward for the few yards he needed for the 1st down, until the Sendejo missle strike came in and stopped him.
Another play along the sidelines he knocked a Denver reviever out of bounds preventing him from gaining more yardage. BUT the best part of the play was that he really layed a lick on the guy, BUT in the past he would have probably lead with his head and drew a penalty. You could see him purposely lay the wood leading with his shoulder, making it a a great hit, but a LEGAL hit.
Heres to hoping he keeps up with his tough play without the penalties. Like I said, I love the guys toughness. And sooner or later its gonna lead to a great hit thats gonna cause an important turnover.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

He was pretty good in the run game, but did very little in the passing game outside of the pick. Same thing that I saw in Philly. Late in coverage and making his corners look worse than they were.

The pick he had was just a terrible throw by Allen. Great that he caught it and it had a big impact on the game, but most QBs don't make that throw.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am He was pretty good in the run game, but did very little in the passing game outside of the pick. Same thing that I saw in Philly. Late in coverage and making his corners look worse than they were.

The pick he had was just a terrible throw by Allen. Great that he caught it and it had a big impact on the game, but most QBs don't make that throw.
It was also his first game back with us. He showed plenty with us prior to this which makes it a good depth signing IMO. Although Kearse looked like a stud on Sunday. Our safeties are definitely loaded thats for sure.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am He was pretty good in the run game, but did very little in the passing game outside of the pick. Same thing that I saw in Philly. Late in coverage and making his corners look worse than they were.

It was also his first game back with us. He showed plenty with us prior to this which makes it a good depth signing IMO. Although Kearse looked like a stud on Sunday. Our safeties are definitely loaded thats for sure.
That is fair.

They obviously like Kearse in that tweener role of corner/safety/LB'er. The guy is so versatile and I hope they are able to keep him around next season.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

He made an impact Sunday, but he should not be a starter. I really like having him in the backup role though. On the INT, it looked more like Fant stopped his route. Not sure if that's Fant's or the QBs fault, but it looked like he expected Fant to keep going. Allen did get a little greedy on that throw, and shouldn't have thrown it though. But, Sendejo was in a good position and made the play, so he deserves credit for that.

I agree though, he was not excellent in pass defense, but we'll never know if Epps would have been any better. I'm guessing it wouldn't have mattered much, so I'll take the veteran who made a big play.
Damian
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am The pick he had was just a terrible throw by Allen. Great that he caught it and it had a big impact on the game, but most QBs don't make that throw.
I don't know if I agree with that. I think he had his receiver open on the play, but the throw was off target. A better throw might still be broken up, but the ball was way off target.

In addition to a poorly placed throw, Sendejo was looking at the QB the whole way and could track the ball and get a jump on it. So combine that with the poor placement and you get a pick.

I will say that I don't think Sendejo made a great play on the ball or anything. He was in the right spot at the right time. Had the ball been better placed I think the best he could have done is break it up, and it might very well have been completed.

There has been such a dearth of interceptions by the Vikings defense lately, though, that I think all of us were just happy to see one.

I agree with your basic premise about Sendejo not being great in coverage. That's never been his strong suit. He's a much better run defender and hitter than he is a cover guy, but receivers know he's running around out there and have to plan accordingly if they're catching something thrown over the middle.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think there may have been a brief period in that game where he was benched. I swear I saw Kearse at safety with Harrison prior to the hammy.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:45 pm I think there may have been a brief period in that game where he was benched. I swear I saw Kearse at safety with Harrison prior to the hammy.
I thought I saw the same, and Sendejo did only play 74% of the snaps. Tough to tell with how they use Kearse though.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:45 pm I think there may have been a brief period in that game where he was benched. I swear I saw Kearse at safety with Harrison prior to the hammy.
I heard that he was "benched" in the 2nd half. But I remember it being Sendejo and Smith then Kearse and Sendejo at the end. If Sendejo was benched, it was only for a few snaps. So I dont know if we really even call that a "benching". Given how many contested catches we gave up, maybe that's why Zim wanted Kearse in. Bigger body that could hopefully knock a ball down better than some of these guys
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 am
I heard that he was "benched" in the 2nd half. But I remember it being Sendejo and Smith then Kearse and Sendejo at the end. If Sendejo was benched, it was only for a few snaps. So I dont know if we really even call that a "benching". Given how many contested catches we gave up, maybe that's why Zim wanted Kearse in. Bigger body that could hopefully knock a ball down better than some of these guys
Smith went down with an injury late in the game, so Kearse did fill in for him with Sendejo.

Snap count % is 74% Sendejo, 75% Smith, 51% Kearse. Smith and Harris typically play 100% of the defensive snaps, but it looks like for about a quarter of the snaps Sendejo took a seat while Kearse filled in for him, and then Smith went down for a quarter of the snaps himself at the end and it was Sendejo and Kearse out there.

Harris needs to get healthy quick. The more I see of replays of big passing plays against us Sunday, the more I see Sendejo AND Kearse getting over late or not at all.
Last edited by StumpHunter on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am Smith went down with an injury late in the game, so Kearse did fill in for him with Sendejo.

Snap count % is 74% Smith, 75% Smith, 51% Kearse. Smith and Harris typically play 100% of the defensive snaps, but it looks like for about a quarter of the snaps Sendejo took a seat while Kearse filled in for him, and then Smith went down for a quarter of the snaps himself at the end and it was Sendejo and Kearse out there.

Harris needs to get healthy quick. The more I see of replays of big passing plays against us Sunday, the more I see Sendejo AND Kearse getting over late or not at all.
I'm really hoping that Smith isn't out for a while too. Getting Harris back would be really helpful though. Kearse was great once they got down in the red zone, but maybe he was part of the reason they got that far too. I haven't looked that closely. Either way, hopefully we are healthy coming out of the bye.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 am

Smith went down with an injury late in the game, so Kearse did fill in for him with Sendejo.

Snap count % is 74% Sendejo, 75% Smith, 51% Kearse. Smith and Harris typically play 100% of the defensive snaps, but it looks like for about a quarter of the snaps Sendejo took a seat while Kearse filled in for him, and then Smith went down for a quarter of the snaps himself at the end and it was Sendejo and Kearse out there.

I mean Harris looked great early on this year but he has struggled quite often as of late too. I still think he's the best of the group simply because he's a natural ball hawk but I wouldnt say he's drastically better than Kearse or Sendejo right now.
-Chazz Palminteri