Halfway Point - SB Contender or Pretender

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Halfway Point - SB Contender or Pretender

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I was thinking about this question. How is a team supposed to look like a Superbowl contender? I'm sure it's natural to use the Patriots for comparison because those fools been dominating. But there are teams like the 2011Giants with a 9-7 or even the Packers, who only made it to the playoffs because the Giants kicked it to Deshaun Jackson, that manage to win the SB. I'm sure they're other teams worth mentioning that ended up being contenders that had what it seemed like a rough season.

The Vikings to go on a 4 game winning streak after a 2-2 start. Let's see how the bounce back in these coming weeks especially having to play two big road games at the Cowboys and Seahawks. Adaption and overcoming is the key to being a contender.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:20 pm I have been a die hard Vikings fan since they first graced us with their presence in 1961. With that said my most disappointing season was the 1975 Drew Pearson push off touchdown. I believe that was the time that an official got knocked out by an empty booze bottle as well. Anyways, I thought that team could have won the Super Bowl but there are plenty of others that frustrated all of us since then.
I'll never forget that. Sickest day of my life as a Vikings fan.

Here's the part that kills me. Paul Krause was in position to break up the play, but he just stood there and watched. A hard-hitting safety would have blown up that play. Can you imagine Joey Browner on that play? They'd have been picking up Drew Person's teeth 15 yards away. But Krause ... he just pranced over there and watched the TD, then started pointing and crying for the PI call.

Krause was a great center fielder who could intercept the ball in a day when interceptions were a lot more frequent than they are now. But the guy could NOT tackle. I used to put up with it because he was a ball hawk ... until the Pearson play, which put him on my sh!t list forever.

The '75 Vikings were the best team we ever had. Better IMO than the '69 team, which is really saying something.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 pm I was thinking about this question. How is a team supposed to look like a Superbowl contender? I'm sure it's natural to use the Patriots for comparison because those fools been dominating. But there are teams like the 2011Giants with a 9-7 or even the Packers, who only made it to the playoffs because the Giants kicked it to Deshaun Jackson, that manage to win the SB. I'm sure they're other teams worth mentioning that ended up being contenders that had what it seemed like a rough season.

The Vikings to go on a 4 game winning streak after a 2-2 start. Let's see how the bounce back in these coming weeks especially having to play two big road games at the Cowboys and Seahawks. Adaption and overcoming is the key to being a contender.
Amen.

We'd look a lot more like a Super Bowl contender if we were in the same division as the Jets, Dolphins and Bills.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd have to say pretender. The offensive line is better but still not good enough. Kirk is very streaky. The defense has a lot if talent but just doesn't dominate the way a world class defense does. Part of it is scheme and part of it is the secondary. I think they have a lot of talent and championship caliber players but they're not quite there just yet and I don't know if Zimmer is the guy to put them over the top. Same with Kirk.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

StanM wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:20 pm I have been a die hard Vikings fan since they first graced us with their presence in 1961. With that said my most disappointing season was the 1975 Drew Pearson push off touchdown. I believe that was the time that an official got knocked out by an empty booze bottle as well. Anyways, I thought that team could have won the Super Bowl but there are plenty of others that frustrated all of us since then.
I remember watching that game that game and the official getting hit in the head by a bottle. You have a few fan years on me. I started being a Viking fan in the 71-72 season when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Its been a bumpy ride for sure.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Laserman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:25 am
I remember watching that game that game and the official getting hit in the head by a bottle. You have a few fan years on me. I started being a Viking fan in the 71-72 season when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Its been a bumpy ride for sure.
I love that you guys make me feel kinda young.
Damian
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Ok I will throw in my story on that game. I've shared it briefly before. But I woulda just turned 11, I remember Dad and I watching it and screaming cuz we KNEW Pearson pushed off. Suddenly it looked like a flag streaked in. Then they showed the replay and it was an orange or an orange ball. I also remember the official being hit in the head by a bottle.
I was so mad I was crying. The phone rang and mom came in and said that it was for me. It was my older cousin on the line. He said Go Cowboys. That's when it happened . I yelled F@#$ YOU STEVE!!!
1st time mom ever heard me drop the F bomb. Man she was mad. I said Dad Steve just said Go Cowboys. Best part was she looked in at Dad and said you need to go in and wash his mouth out with soap.
Dad looked up and said " Just leave us alone right now. He didnt deserve that now"
Now that is a Viking Dad. Still is to this day.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Ok I will throw in my story on that game. I've shared it briefly before. But I woulda just turned 11, I remember Dad and I watching it and screaming cuz we KNEW Pearson pushed off. Suddenly it looked like a flag streaked in. Then they showed the replay and it was an orange or an orange ball. I also remember the official being hit in the head by a bottle.
I was so mad I was crying. The phone rang and mom came in and said that it was for me. It was my older cousin on the line. He said Go Cowboys. That's when it happened . I yelled F@#$ YOU STEVE!!!
1st time mom ever heard me drop the F bomb. Man she was mad. I said Dad Steve just said Go Cowboys. Best part was she looked in at Dad and said you need to go in and wash his mouth out with soap.
Dad looked up and said " Just leave us alone right now. He didnt deserve that now"
Hopefully after this weekend you can call Steve up
and Skol.l him
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Hopefully after this weekend you can call Steve up
and Skol.l him
Now that's freakin funny. Ya know maybe if we win I should. Just call and say hey Steve. Ho Vikings.. paybacks a #### Cuz. :rock:
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Love your Dad's reaction. He gets it. :)
Damian