Why Kevin Stefanski Might Be the NFL's Next Great Offensive Coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Really interesting article on the Vikings OC.

Enjoy!

I'm starting to get nervous that we're going to lose another good OC after the season (like Shurmur). Stefanski was already getting looks last year. Oh well, hopefully this ends in a Superbowl, then it will be worth it :)
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Why Kevin Stefanski Might Be the NFL's Next Great Offensive Coach

Post by StumpHunter »

Dames wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 pm Really interesting article on the Vikings OC.

Enjoy!

I'm starting to get nervous that we're going to lose another good OC after the season (like Shurmur). Stefanski was already getting looks last year. Oh well, hopefully this ends in a Superbowl, then it will be worth it :)
Good news is we can just replace Stefanski with Shurmur after he is fired from the Giants if Stefanski gets hired to be a head coach.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 pm
Dames wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 pm Really interesting article on the Vikings OC.

Enjoy!

Good news is we can just replace Stefanski with Shurmur after he is fired from the Giants if Stefanski gets hired to be a head coach.
:lol: That might be very true!
Damian
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I read this earlier and i thought it was a good read, but I don't believe there was a single mention of Kubiak in the entire article.
Formerly AADPFan
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I know the 6-2 Vikings are on a 4 game win streak, having beaten some pretty, well, average teams, but it might be getting a bit ahead of things to speculate on Stefanski's potential, both as an OC and as a head coach.

I'll be a lot more inclined to believe hype like this if the Vikings make the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs, as well as to see how well the offense overall does against better defenses. As it stands the offense was pretty poor against the best defense they've faced so far (Bears), and sputtered early against the Packers. Yes, that's within the first 4 games of the season and maybe things have turned around, but we're only talking about 8 total games to sample so far.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:54 pm I know the 6-2 Vikings are on a 4 game win streak, having beaten some pretty, well, average teams, but it might be getting a bit ahead of things to speculate on Stefanski's potential, both as an OC and as a head coach.

I'll be a lot more inclined to believe hype like this if the Vikings make the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs, as well as to see how well the offense overall does against better defenses. As it stands the offense was pretty poor against the best defense they've faced so far (Bears), and sputtered early against the Packers. Yes, that's within the first 4 games of the season and maybe things have turned around, but we're only talking about 8 total games to sample so far.
Yea, it is a bit early, but fun to speculate. I have also seen articles who have him in the top 10 of potential HC candidates, so this isn't far fetched.

Ironically, with how Jacksonville is playing under a rookie QB, I wouldn't be surprised if we had 3 OC's in a row become HCs.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:54 pm I know the 6-2 Vikings are on a 4 game win streak, having beaten some pretty, well, average teams, but it might be getting a bit ahead of things to speculate on Stefanski's potential, both as an OC and as a head coach.

I agree that it's still early. I do think the fact that he had some looks last year plays a factor, and IF they keep this offense improvement going, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him get some interviews again next year. Regardless of whether we make the playoffs or how we do. Although... I think they go hand in hand. If the Offense continues to play well, we will be in the playoffs, unless the D really craps the bed. Regardless of the 2 losses, the Vikings have really played well in the 6 wins on O. Even against Wash, they didn't score, but they moved the ball really well. It's been really nice to see.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Grashopa wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:48 pm I read this earlier and i thought it was a good read, but I don't believe there was a single mention of Kubiak in the entire article.
Yeah, I was expecting it too, and I have to think the scheme he brought has been a big factor in the success of the O. I think article is really focused on his play-calling, and I DO think that has been excellent this year for the most part. I disagree with the call at the end of the Packers game though, but nobody's perfect.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Perhaps speculating Stefanski's future is a bit premature and would qualify as hype. But did you find anything wrong with the analysis of his playcalling?

I found the article to be extremely informative. It really helps me understand what has been making this offense click. I tend to think that it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing ... those play calls were going to work. Stefanski was in an absolute zone against Detroit, and he's been really good in the other games during this streak.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Perhaps speculating Stefanski's future is a bit premature and would qualify as hype. But did you find anything wrong with the analysis of his playcalling?

I found the article to be extremely informative. It really helps me understand what has been making this offense click. I tend to think that it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing ... those play calls were going to work. Stefanski was in an absolute zone against Detroit, and he's been really good in the other games during this streak.
And let's dont forget his greatest strength.. He is a handsome guy!!
Sorry Kapp my brother I had to do it!! Those who don't join the game chat wont get it, but those of us who do will.
Just having fun with ya bro. That was funny that day!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 pm Perhaps speculating Stefanski's future is a bit premature and would qualify as hype. But did you find anything wrong with the analysis of his playcalling?
No, I thought the analysis was really good. If anything bothered me about it though, it was the focus on the games (and defenses) during the winning streak. I wondered what the analysis would look like if it included the two losses? How much does the overall quality of the defense affect the analysis?

This article lauds a streak of games against pretty subpar defenses and opponents. Much tougher tests are coming up, including rematches with the Packers and Bears. If Stefanski's offense continues to produce the yards and points against better defenses (and if they do, I'd have to assume that success in the playoffs would be inevitable), I'll be on board with the hype.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 pm Perhaps speculating Stefanski's future is a bit premature and would qualify as hype. But did you find anything wrong with the analysis of his playcalling?
No, I thought the analysis was really good. If anything bothered me about it though, it was the focus on the games (and defenses) during the winning streak. I wondered what the analysis would look like if it included the two losses? How much does the overall quality of the defense affect the analysis?

This article lauds a streak of games against pretty subpar defenses and opponents. Much tougher tests are coming up, including rematches with the Packers and Bears. If Stefanski's offense continues to produce the yards and points against better defenses (and if they do, I'd have to assume that success in the playoffs would be inevitable), I'll be on board with the hype.
After the Bear game all would have said he needs to go. His genius scheme couldn't even move the ball. His play calling blew ect...We have some good players on O and even Flip had games were he put up points. But smoking the Giants and Lions doesn't hold much weight. If we continue to beat the stiffs we will make the playoffs. That's when his scheme and play calling needs to put plenty of points on the board. Otherwise we won't win.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 am This article lauds a streak of games against pretty subpar defenses and opponents. Much tougher tests are coming up, including rematches with the Packers and Bears. If Stefanski's offense continues to produce the yards and points against better defenses (and if they do, I'd have to assume that success in the playoffs would be inevitable), I'll be on board with the hype.
While that's a fair statement, looking at the upcoming schedule, is there a defense that will qualify as a great test? It may not happen until the playoffs (Gulp).

Code: Select all

SUN		3-Nov		at KC		12:00 PM		
SUN		10-Nov		at DAL	 	 7:20 PM		
SUN		17-Nov		DEN		12:00 PM		
MON		2-Dec		at SEA		 7:15 PM		
SUN		8-Dec		DET	    	12:00 PM		
SUN		15-Dec		at LAC		 7:20 PM		
MON		23-Dec		GB	   	 7:15 PM		
SUN		29-Dec		CHI	       	12:00 PM		
Most of those teams are middle-of-the-pack or below average defenses.

Denver actually looks like the best defense we face until the final game. That may be our best test coming up. They are solid overall, although not elite vs the run.

Dallas is a bit above average statistically, but definitely not elite. They are top 5 scoring D, so that could be an issue.

KC and Seattle are lousy vs the run, and middling vs pass.

Chargers are lousy vs the pass.

Det is lousy at both.

GB is not statistically a good D. They give up 4.8 yd per carry rushing for example. Our issue in that game was our D took a nap in the first quarter.

Chicago has been vulnerable in the past 2 games, but they are still very good. No telling where they will be a the end of the year. Especially if they are out of the playoff picture already.

I'm certainly not thinking that we're going to win out, but I also am not sure we see a major test for the O that will satisfy the doubters (myself included honestly). Good teams, and tough games of course apply still, but that's another discussion.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am After the Bear game all would have said he needs to go. His genius scheme couldn't even move the ball. His play calling blew ect...We have some good players on O and even Flip had games were he put up points. But smoking the Giants and Lions doesn't hold much weight. If we continue to beat the stiffs we will make the playoffs. That's when his scheme and play calling needs to put plenty of points on the board. Otherwise we won't win.
I wasn't ready to throw out the scheme or the OC after the Bears game. I blamed execution and, yes, Cousins. He was really bad that game. Inaccurate and indecisive. Maybe that's the coaches fault, but I don't think so. The offense was actually very good the 3 games prior to that disaster, and the 4 games after. Even vs GB they moved the ball well until the stupidity at the end.

Yes, I still need to see this continue, but I'm not moving the goal posts like some. A lot of people said "I need to see this vs Det"... Then, "I need to see this vs Philly" Then "I need to see this in Prime time." Now, suddenly those are not good enough. I get that to a degree, but at some point we just need to believe it's different. In 7 out of 8 games this year, this offense has been really good. Some weeks better than others of course.
Damian
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Dames wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:43 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 am This article lauds a streak of games against pretty subpar defenses and opponents. Much tougher tests are coming up, including rematches with the Packers and Bears. If Stefanski's offense continues to produce the yards and points against better defenses (and if they do, I'd have to assume that success in the playoffs would be inevitable), I'll be on board with the hype.
While that's a fair statement, looking at the upcoming schedule, is there a defense that will qualify as a great test? It may not happen until the playoffs (Gulp).

Code: Select all

SUN		3-Nov		at KC		12:00 PM		
SUN		10-Nov		at DAL	 	 7:20 PM		
SUN		17-Nov		DEN		12:00 PM		
MON		2-Dec		at SEA		 7:15 PM		
SUN		8-Dec		DET	    	12:00 PM		
SUN		15-Dec		at LAC		 7:20 PM		
MON		23-Dec		GB	   	 7:15 PM		
SUN		29-Dec		CHI	       	12:00 PM		
Most of those teams are middle-of-the-pack or below average defenses.

Denver actually looks like the best defense we face until the final game. That may be our best test coming up. They are solid overall, although not elite vs the run.

Dallas is a bit above average statistically, but definitely not elite. They are top 5 scoring D, so that could be an issue.

KC and Seattle are lousy vs the run, and middling vs pass.

Chargers are lousy vs the pass.

Det is lousy at both.

GB is not statistically a good D. They give up 4.8 yd per carry rushing for example. Our issue in that game was our D took a nap in the first quarter.

Chicago has been vulnerable in the past 2 games, but they are still very good. No telling where they will be a the end of the year. Especially if they are out of the playoff picture already.

I'm certainly not thinking that we're going to win out, but I also am not sure we see a major test for the O that will satisfy the doubters (myself included honestly). Good teams, and tough games of course apply still, but that's another discussion.
If we make the playoffs we will eventually have to meet SF along the way. They can play D. Saints also play some D. We are doing what need's to be done against these teams. That's much better than laying an egg. IMO can our D match up to those teams. Even against GB can our D contain Rodgers to allow us to put up 24 and win. I don't know if we can hold Rodgers to under 24. That is the bigger question.