2019 Trade Deadline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

2019 Trade Deadline

Post by TSonn »

Think any of our guys are on the block?

With Holton Hill coming back to the team I think they might be taking offers on Rhodes. Hill can probably cover guys as well as Rhodes at this point, and if he can't, he can definitely be as good as Rhodes at defensive pass interference. A few teams are desperate for some DB help (looking at Philly).

We could/should be buyers for interior offensive linemen. Elflein is a liability and is headed for a back-up role soon.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2019 Trade Deadline

Post by mansquatch »

The cap situation will make it tough for them unless they trade a player under a sizeable contract.

Rudolph might be a good candidate given his contract vs. production. This might be somewhat risky given the injuries at WR.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

TSonn wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:12 am Think any of our guys are on the block?

With Holton Hill coming back to the team I think they might be taking offers on Rhodes. Hill can probably cover guys as well as Rhodes at this point, and if he can't, he can definitely be as good as Rhodes at defensive pass interference. A few teams are desperate for some DB help (looking at Philly).

We could/should be buyers for interior offensive linemen. Elflein is a liability and is headed for a back-up role soon.
I don't think they move Rhodes. Hill has proven to be less than reliable off the field as well as on, and I think as much as Rhodes has struggled as of late, I'd bank on him being more likely to right the ship and stabilize his play than a guy like Hill coming in and not being a huge dropoff. As with all trades, it depends on what they get, of course, but assuming it would be a draft pick, you're trading a present player for future potential in a year you're hoping to make a run at the Superbowl. It would have to be something better than they're likely to get to justify that (as well as assessment by the coaches that Hill wouldn't be a major liability).

As poor as Elflein has been pass blocking, he's been pretty solid run blocking. And it's not like the Vikings don't have serviceable backups at guard. Dozier has been in for major playing time already and has done well. It's hard for me to believe Elflein wouldn't be on the bench already if the coaches weren't seeing things they like in his overall play.

I think the Vikings stay the course. They've been doing well overall with the guys they have. Absent some offer they couldn't refuse, I think the horses they ride are on the team already.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:58 pm
TSonn wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:12 am Think any of our guys are on the block?

I don't think they move Rhodes. Hill has proven to be less than reliable off the field as well as on, and I think as much as Rhodes has struggled as of late, I'd bank on him being more likely to right the ship and stabilize his play than a guy like Hill coming in and not being a huge dropoff. As with all trades, it depends on what they get, of course, but assuming it would be a draft pick, you're trading a present player for future potential in a year you're hoping to make a run at the Superbowl. It would have to be something better than they're likely to get to justify that (as well as assessment by the coaches that Hill wouldn't be a major liability).

As poor as Elflein has been pass blocking, he's been pretty solid run blocking. And it's not like the Vikings don't have serviceable backups at guard. Dozier has been in for major playing time already and has done well. It's hard for me to believe Elflein wouldn't be on the bench already if the coaches weren't seeing things they like in his overall play.

I think the Vikings stay the course. They've been doing well overall with the guys they have. Absent some offer they couldn't refuse, I think the horses they ride are on the team already.
To be fair to Elflein, most of the holding calls against the 'Skins were pretty bogus and minimal.

also, I suspect that if David Morgan had been healthy this year the team wouldn't have signed Kyle Rudolph, and if they had, would have moved him before the trade deadline. He humiliated himself yet again against the Redskins and I for one am tired of his timidity, softness, and clod-like, terrible balance.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:20 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:58 pm

To be fair to Elflein, most of the holding calls against the 'Skins were pretty bogus and minimal.

also, I suspect that if David Morgan had been healthy this year the team wouldn't have signed Kyle Rudolph, and if they had, would have moved him before the trade deadline. He humiliated himself yet again against the Redskins and I for one am tired of his timidity, softness, and clod-like, terrible balance.
You do realize that both coaches and PFF have graded Rudolph very high for his blocking, right?

Rudy has had a really good season. He's not piling up catches, but they haven't needed him to. A huge reason for the Vikings' success in the running game goes to the tight ends. The Vikings play 12 personnel more than any team in the league. Tight ends have to be able to block in this scheme, and Rudolph has been stellar blocking.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:35 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:20 pm

You do realize that both coaches and PFF have graded Rudolph very high for his blocking, right?

Rudy has had a really good season. He's not piling up catches, but they haven't needed him to. A huge reason for the Vikings' success in the running game goes to the tight ends. The Vikings play 12 personnel more than any team in the league. Tight ends have to be able to block in this scheme, and Rudolph has been stellar blocking.
And as I said, I believe he would not have been extended and would probably have been traded had Morgan been healthy to start the season.

Rudolph might be having his best blocking season to date, but in any case, he is still an absolute clod who goes down on first contact and avoids contact at the expense of converting first downs on a regular basis. The guys does the absolute least with his natural ability.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins