Holton HIll Suspended Again

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Holton HIll Suspended Again

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:35 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 am

Again you’re nitpicking single games. I can nitpick games where our run defense was good. I can nitpick games where our pass defense was good. We weren’t #3 in pass defense for no reason. As for the picks, we were 9th in PPG as a defense. The year before we were first or second I believe. Picks or no picks, you’re defense is doing their job. If teams aren’t scoring but we aren’t getting as many picks, so what.

As for Hughes, again we don’t know if Waynes will be with us next year. Spielman has said it plenty of times that they plan 3 years ahead. You don’t think that Waynes’ contract being up this year didn’t come into play with that pick? Do you think Zim really thought his pass defense was trash. Hughes was the right pick and it’s becoming more clear this year. The depth wouldn’t be there. Given this is a passing league, you need corners. Hughes is going to play a lot. We could have the 3 best corners in the nfl, but no depth. And what if one of those corners go down then what? We start a guy on the practice squad? What if Waynes leaves then what?
I think there is no question Hughes was drafted to eventually replace Waynes. Whether that was the right pick or not is highly debatable. #1 because Hughes has yet to be a good CB (promising for sure), and #2 because the team desperately needed help on the line at multiple spots, and couldn't afford a luxury pick on a CB. If you are drafting a guy to start 3 years in, why not go with a project like Yiadom in the 3rd?
I want a Super Bowl which eventually comes down to a single game. IMO to get there we need to beat some good teams in the playoffs. Now I'm back on the single game BS. So forget that. One bad game in the playoffs won't hurt too much. Besides we are one of the best in PPG so I don't see a team getting more than 24 based on that. I don't know why Hughes was drafted, I think he looked good, when we could have used that pick on other positions like OL. Bad move by Speilman stockpiling a very deep and talented group although Hughes did play. So something happened. Zim and Speilman saw something and drafted Hughes. IMO having a deep CB group is a good thing and needed. The Pack are still trying to piece that together. But I've been wrong many times. When Waynes leaves we will have Hill, Hughes, Alexander and Rhodes as the vets. That's not bad. I would prefer Waynes over Rhodes due to age but Rhodes has years left so bye bye Waynes. Hill will be ok once this suspension ends. That's why 4 deep is a good thing. As it is right now we can't get an injury to a CB or stick a fork in us. Were done. Not a good spot to be in and matter of fact it's stupid and not planning at all. That falls on Speilman.

Well Zim is setting up the release of Hill already stating that he "may not make the team" . He then backed off stating every player needs "to make the team." Yeah sure like Cousins and Hunter need to make the team.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Consensus from beat guys is Hill is having a heck of a camp. He's not getting cut. Especially with the lack of depth there.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:04 pm Consensus from beat guys is Hill is having a heck of a camp. He's not getting cut. Especially with the lack of depth there.
I read the same thing which is great for us. The guy has talent there is no doubt about that. He did very well for a rookie last year. And your correct about our depth issue. So maybe Zim was lighting a fire saying he needs to make the team. Zim seems to twist things. Maybe he thinks it's funny but I don't. Obviously the thing with Hill is can he be trusted? Right now I would say no. The guy has major problems. Hence no team drafted him. He better wake up now or his career will be short.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think he punched his ticket out of town with his ridiculous helmet to helmet hit. I don't think he was there late necessarily, but he freaking launched himself into Lynch's head.
I don't want him on the Vikings any more. Hopefully now he won't be.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:39 pm I think he punched his ticket out of town with his ridiculous helmet to helmet hit. I don't think he was there late necessarily, but he freaking launched himself into Lynch's head.
I don't want him on the Vikings any more. Hopefully now he won't be.
I don't think that was his intention. It looked to me to be a matter of bad timing on his part. Going for a tackle and the QB starts to slide. And the timing of both resulted in the helmet to helmet hit.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It was a terrible hit and they were right to eject him. The QB was sliding head first and he hit him with the crown of his helmet. In a freaking preseason game. If a Seattle corner did that to Sloter people would be going ape ####.

For as much talent as hill has, he clearly has nothing between his ears. Put me down in the camp that wants him gone. He's too much of a liability.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 am It was a terrible hit and they were right to eject him. The QB was sliding head first and he hit him with the crown of his helmet. In a freaking preseason game. If a Seattle corner did that to Sloter people would be going ape ####.

For as much talent as hill has, he clearly has nothing between his ears. Put me down in the camp that wants him gone. He's too much of a liability.
The kid does have immense talent, and it's too bad he has become such liability for various reasons because it is a waste of a God given talent that could be used for the good of the team, to be used as a role model and to set himself up for life financially, but he is wasting it.
But for you to say there is nothing between his ears is a horrible and very inaccurate thing for you to make as an assumption and assume on your part.
Sorry I hate to argue with you, but he does in fact have plenty between the ears. It appears to be grey matter saturated with THC that is the problem :ganja: :ganja: :lol:
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 am It was a terrible hit and they were right to eject him. The QB was sliding head first and he hit him with the crown of his helmet. In a freaking preseason game. If a Seattle corner did that to Sloter people would be going ape ####.

I was at the game and they never showed a replay (presumably because of the injury), and everyone thought it was a penalty for a late hit. Had they shown the replay, I'm sure everyone would have agreed with the call. He could legitimately be suspended for 10 games this season (4+4+2?). I hope Lynch is OK. And I'm glad Seattle didn't retaliate.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 am

The kid does have immense talent, and it's too bad he has become such liability for various reasons because it is a waste of a God given talent that could be used for the good of the team, to be used as a role model and to set himself up for life financially, but he is wasting it.
But for you to say there is nothing between his ears is a horrible and very inaccurate thing for you to make as an assumption and assume on your part.
Sorry I hate to argue with you, but he does in fact have plenty between the ears. It appears to be grey matter saturated with THC that is the problem :ganja: :ganja: :lol:
Lol!

It's just frustrating to see someone with that much potential throw it away. You don't get drafted because of drug concerns, then you get suspended, twice, then you're thrown out of a preseason game when you're on the bubble....

I get we could "stash" him while he's suspended, which could potentially give us a solid corner late in the year when the team is banged up. I think that's a fine strategy but the risk is he rubs off on our other players. He's already been with Boone in a dicey situation. I hope they weigh that risk carefully on cut day.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 am

Lol!

It's just frustrating to see someone with that much potential throw it away. You don't get drafted because of drug concerns, then you get suspended, twice, then you're thrown out of a preseason game when you're on the bubble....

I get we could "stash" him while he's suspended, which could potentially give us a solid corner late in the year when the team is banged up. I think that's a fine strategy but the risk is he rubs off on our other players. He's already been with Boone in a dicey situation. I hope they weigh that risk carefully on cut day.
Excellent use of the Stash pun!! Haha. Yes it's just stupid. These kind of guys have all the talent in the world, have the potential to play a game so many of us dream to, and have the ability to retire so young and set themselves up financially for their life, and they just don't get it. Seems like the just don't have an "ounce " of sensimelia.. I mean sense. See , I can do it too. Haha
Such a waste of talent. And a potential for trouble
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:36 am

I was at the game and they never showed a replay (presumably because of the injury), and everyone thought it was a penalty for a late hit. Had they shown the replay, I'm sure everyone would have agreed with the call. He could legitimately be suspended for 10 games this season (4+4+2?). I hope Lynch is OK. And I'm glad Seattle didn't retaliate.
Watch the hit at full speed. Then watch is slowed down. HIll lowers his head at the same time Lynch starts his slide. Just bad timing all around.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Raptorman wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:14 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:36 am

Watch the hit at full speed. Then watch is slowed down. HIll lowers his head at the same time Lynch starts his slide. Just bad timing all around.
I think Zimmer had it right when he admitted that while Hill shouldn't be leading with his head like that, a quarterback should be treated as a runner if he takes off on a designed run. That was an option play, not a scramble, so Lynch was technically a runner.

But the league is going to protect quarterbacks, and Hill was wrong. Hill will likely end up lighter in the wallet.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm
Raptorman wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:14 pm

I think Zimmer had it right when he admitted that while Hill shouldn't be leading with his head like that, a quarterback should be treated as a runner if he takes off on a designed run. That was an option play, not a scramble, so Lynch was technically a runner.

But the league is going to protect quarterbacks, and Hill was wrong. Hill will likely end up lighter in the wallet.
I agree 8,000,000% with Zimmer, and i think they should get rid of the slide rule. Every season multiple QBs get concussions, and players get fined, because of "late" hits when a qb slides. It puts them in way more danger than if they just fall down or, God forbid, try to get to the sidelines. If they worried about protecting the QBs and head injuries in general, why not get rid of what is causing so many problems?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Link to the hit:

https://twitter.com/EvanWebeck/status/1 ... 37152?s=20

It's a pretty textbook helmet to helmet hit to me. I've seen some very questionable calls when the rule was implemented but I think they made the right call here.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm Link to the hit:

https://twitter.com/EvanWebeck/status/1 ... 37152?s=20

It's a pretty textbook helmet to helmet hit to me. I've seen some very questionable calls when the rule was implemented but I think they made the right call here.
Yes, it was helmet to helmet. But the problem is he was a runner. Not saying that makes it better, but once a runner, runner rules should apply. If he wants to slide, he needs to start sooner. I'm not saying that Hill wasn't in the wrong, but when QB's start their slide late, it's only the defensive guy that gets the penalty. That's why I don't like the slide rule.