Kirk Cousins: Baker or Chef?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Kirk Cousins: Baker or Chef?

Post by VikingsVictorious »

My opinion about this thread is a lot of blah, blah, blah. He is a football player. Not a baker or chef. He doesn't work in the culinary industry. He is an above average NFL QB and he will be part of the reason we win a lot of games this year.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:15 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:36 pm
I know you didn't ask me, but here's my opinion.

Russell Wilson is a great quarterback, period. Probably a HOFer. Not because he can run, but because he can flat-out sling it. He's a great passer. Not good ... great. Accurate, on time, very strong arm ... just great. Add in his legs, his ability to throw on the move, his smarts ... and you have a great QB. This guy has played for several years at an elite level, and he's almost never had a decent offensive line.

Cam is a lot of flash and potential, but he's really only had one great season -- typical for quarterbacks who rely on their legs. After several years of running way too much, he now has trouble staying on the field. He's always had a cannon, but with no guidance system. There was a time he could make up for his inaccuracy with his legs, but those days might be behind him.

Winston ... his time never came. Overrated in almost every way. What's especially troubling is that he continues to make terrible decision after terrible decision, both on and off the field. I wouldn't carry the guy as a backup. Don't be surprised if this is his last season in Tampa.
I have gotten into this in another thread, but what is your basis for thinking Wilson isn't a great passer? The numbers say he is one of the greatest of all time. 2nd in passer rating and a higher completion percentage than Brady.
I'm confused.

See the bolded text above.

I think WINSTON is garbage. Russell Wilson is phenomenal. Completely agree with you.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:13 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:15 pm
I have gotten into this in another thread, but what is your basis for thinking Wilson isn't a great passer? The numbers say he is one of the greatest of all time. 2nd in passer rating and a higher completion percentage than Brady.
I'm confused.

See the bolded text above.

I think WINSTON is garbage. Russell Wilson is phenomenal. Completely agree with you.
Dyslexia. My bad. Agree with your takes on those QBs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

My gripe with Wilson is yeah maybe he has the 2nd beat completion percentage all time but a QB that’s considered “one of the greatest all time” shouldn’t be throwing for 70 yards in a game. He’s thrown for under 200 yards in 36 games over his 8 year career. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest of all time and threw for under 200 36 times in 18 years. Peyton had 10 years on him and did it 36 times. Wilson will shatter that 36 mark if he plays 18 years. He’s more of a game manager if you ask me. Not an Alex smith game manager because he’s much better than him but he’s not an aggressive passer and I’ve never been that impressed with him as a passer. His legs save him more often than not. And I can bet money if you look at Brady’s numbers and even Brees numbers, guys that had way more years on Wilson, are right around that 36 mark. And Brees had some rough years in San Diego for a while. 3 of Manning’s sub 200 games were in his final year when he lost it all. Never will I consider Wilson “one of the greatest all time”. The guy isn’t even in the top 25. Granted yards aren’t the end all be all but when it comes down to a pure passer standpoint, he’s nowhere near one of the greatest of all time
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm My gripe with Wilson is yeah maybe he has the 2nd beat completion percentage all time but a QB that’s considered “one of the greatest all time” shouldn’t be throwing for 70 yards in a game. He’s thrown for under 200 yards in 36 games over his 8 year career. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest of all time and threw for under 200 36 times in 18 years. Peyton had 10 years on him and did it 36 times. Wilson will shatter that 36 mark if he plays 18 years. He’s more of a game manager if you ask me. Not an Alex smith game manager because he’s much better than him but he’s not an aggressive passer and I’ve never been that impressed with him as a passer. His legs save him more often than not. And I can bet money if you look at Brady’s numbers and even Brees numbers, guys that had way more years on Wilson, are right around that 36 mark. And Brees had some rough years in San Diego for a while. 3 of Manning’s sub 200 games were in his final year when he lost it all. Never will I consider Wilson “one of the greatest all time”. The guy isn’t even in the top 25. Granted yards aren’t the end all be all but when it comes down to a pure passer standpoint, he’s nowhere near one of the greatest of all time
I gotta disagree with you here, PHP.

Russell Wilson has never had a truly good O-line. He's had average receivers. Yet he still gets the job done.

Also, I'm basing this on the eye test as much as anything. Watch the guy. I've watched a ton of his games. He's every bit the passer Aaron Rodgers is. He throws a great deep ball ... he simply rarely has anybody deep to connect with, nor does he have the time to throw.

If we're going to use passing yards as a knock against him, then it's also fair to use wins as a measurement of his success. Russell Wilson has won the same number of Super Bowls as Aaron Rodgers, has played in as many Super Bowls as Rodgers and Brees combined, and has one fewer career playoff win than Rodgers and the same number as Brees. The worst regular season record the Seahawks have had in his seven years is 9-7. His winning percentage is better than Rodgers and significantly better than Brees.

As for the topic at hand ... bakers are getting a bad rap here. A great baker does as much or more creating and adjusting on the fly than a chef does. Don't believe it? Try making a souffle or a meringue. I don't care if you have a recipe. It's hard as heck and takes a lot of skill and improvising.

A better comparison would be between a chef and a cook. A cook follows the recipe, period. A chef creates the recipe ... often on the fly.

As some have said, I think a cook (or baker, if we must) as a quarterback can work just fine for an NFL team. Using the recipe gives you predictable results. Improvising can produce a spectacular dish, but it can also just as easily produce a disaster. I give you Brett Favre.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm My gripe with Wilson is yeah maybe he has the 2nd beat completion percentage all time but a QB that’s considered “one of the greatest all time” shouldn’t be throwing for 70 yards in a game. He’s thrown for under 200 yards in 36 games over his 8 year career. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest of all time and threw for under 200 36 times in 18 years. Peyton had 10 years on him and did it 36 times. Wilson will shatter that 36 mark if he plays 18 years. He’s more of a game manager if you ask me. Not an Alex smith game manager because he’s much better than him but he’s not an aggressive passer and I’ve never been that impressed with him as a passer. His legs save him more often than not. And I can bet money if you look at Brady’s numbers and even Brees numbers, guys that had way more years on Wilson, are right around that 36 mark. And Brees had some rough years in San Diego for a while. 3 of Manning’s sub 200 games were in his final year when he lost it all. Never will I consider Wilson “one of the greatest all time”. The guy isn’t even in the top 25. Granted yards aren’t the end all be all but when it comes down to a pure passer standpoint, he’s nowhere near one of the greatest of all time

Russell Wilson has never had a truly good O-line. He's had average receivers. That's why he occasionally has low-yardage games. Yet he consistently gets the job done.

Also, I'm basing this on the eye test as much as anything. Watch the guy. I've watched a ton of his games. He's every bit the passer Aaron Rodgers is. He throws a great deep ball ... he simply rarely has anybody deep to connect with, nor does he have the time to throw.

If we're going to use passing yards as a knock against him, then it's also fair to use wins as a measurement of his success. Russell Wilson has won the same number of Super Bowls as Aaron Rodgers, has played in as many Super Bowls as Rodgers and Brees combined, and has one fewer career playoff win than Rodgers and the same number as Brees. The worst regular season record the Seahawks have had in his seven years is 9-7. His winning percentage is better than Rodgers and significantly better than Brees.

As for the topic at hand ... bakers are getting a bad rap here. A great baker does as much or more creating and adjusting on the fly than a chef does. Don't believe it? Try making a souffle or a meringue. I don't care if you have a recipe. It's hard as heck and takes a lot of skill and improvising.

A better comparison would be between a chef and a cook. A cook follows the recipe, period. A chef creates the recipe ... often on the fly.

As some have said, I think a cook (or baker, if we must) as a quarterback can work just fine for an NFL team. Using the recipe gives you predictable results. Improvising can produce a spectacular dish, but it can also just as easily produce a disaster. I give you Brett Favre.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Russell Wilson has never had a truly good O-line. He's had average receivers. That's why he occasionally has low-yardage games. Yet he consistently gets the job done.

Plus, if we are talking yards, Wilson is 4th ALL TIME in YPA. Better than Manning, Rodgers, and Brady.

Favre is one of the rare examples of a full time Chef or improviser working. All of the current elite QBs, save Wilson, are Bakers most of the time, with the ability to be a great improviser on 3rd down and in the 4th when teams start to figure out the recipe (gameplan).

I just watched a pretty good breakdown of film on Cousins that pretty much nailed it. If his OC calls a good play, he will have a good play. If not, he will fail. In other words, Cousins is the epitome of a system QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 pm

I figured Kapp no worries. Most disagreed with me last time we discussed Wilson a few months back. No doubt SOME stats are there but not all. I've just never been overly impressed with the guy.

Maybe I'm letting my fantasy football leagues cloud my opinion on him. Granted, fantasy means nothing when it comes to a good QB or not but just hear me out because this does back my yardage and inconsistency argument. I'm in two $350 dynasty leagues. I drafted Wilson in both leagues as a rookie so I could keep him forever if I wanted. I traded him in both leagues after 4 years. I couldn't stand the inconsistencies with him anymore. For every 350 yard and 3 TD game, you'd get two straight games of 150 yards and 1 TD game. I mean look at the 2016 season (the year after I traded him). He had five zero TD games. Never did Manning or Brady do that. There are inconsistencies all over the place with him when it comes to being a pure passer. He could light you up for 5 TDs and 400 yards or he could lay the fattest egg you've ever seen and throw for 72 yards, 0 TDs and an INT like he did against us last year. I'm sorry but a QB that is considered "the greatest of all time" should not be throwing for 72 yards in a game, having 5 zero TD games in a season, have sub-200 yard games 36 times in 8 years.

And sure, he had bad OL's and average WRs but here is the difference. If you give Peyton Manning (in his prime) Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett and lets say Jermaine Kearse, they are a legit WR group. Peyton Manning (as well as Tom Brady), made average to below average WRs/TEs look like good to great WRs. Austin Collie, Brandon Stokely, Jerome Pathon, Pierre Garcon, Ken Dilger, Marcus Pollard, Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, David Patten, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Chris Hogan, Brandon Lafell, Malcolm Mitchell, Phillip Dorsett, Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, etc.

And they also make the great WRs/TEs look like the elite....Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Rob Gronkowski, Dallas Clark. Point is, they elevate EVERYONE's game around them. Including their OL's. Wilson doesn't elevate his OL or the players around him. Maybe some, but nothing near what Brady and Manning did. I can just about 100% guarantee that any of those average to below average guys I listed above played for the Seahawks (from the start) with Wilson, you'd hardly hear their name called.

I don't think the guy is bad. He's definitely a good QB. I just think he's overrated as a passer from what a lot of fans blow him up to be. He's too inconsistent to be one of the "greatest of all time" and he doesnt elevate the play of those around him like the all time greats do.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 am
Plus, if we are talking yards, Wilson is 4th ALL TIME in YPA. Better than Manning, Rodgers, and Brady.
lol ok? Way to go Russell. I could care less what his yards per ATTEMPT is. Just because he's attempting to throw deep doesnt mean he's "one of the greatest of all time". Look at his yards per game. Balls he's actually completing. It's pretty horrible if you ask me. Guys like Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Sam Bradford, Ryan Tannehill, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, Jameis Winston, and Derek Carr are all well ahead of him. He averages 228.8 yards per game which is 31st all time. 19th among active NFL QBs. That is what you call, below average. And if this league was more pass heavy back in the 80's/90's, he'd be much further down the list.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 am
lol ok? Way to go Russell. I could care less what his yards per ATTEMPT is. Just because he's attempting to throw deep doesnt mean he's "one of the greatest of all time". Look at his yards per game. Balls he's actually completing. It's pretty horrible if you ask me. Guys like Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Sam Bradford, Ryan Tannehill, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, Jameis Winston, and Derek Carr are all well ahead of him. He averages 228.8 yards per game which is 31st all time. 19th among active NFL QBs. That is what you call, below average. And if this league was more pass heavy back in the 80's/90's, he'd be much further down the list.
I think you might be confused by what YPA means. Every time he throws the ball, his average yards picked up is 7.86. His yards per completion is just as high if not higher in the all time rankings.

I do think you make a pretty compelling case for YPG being a pretty meaningless stat though. Nice job.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:18 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 am

I think you might be confused by what YPA means. Every time he throws the ball, his average yards picked up is 7.86. His yards per completion is just as high if not higher in the all time rankings.

I do think you make a pretty compelling case for YPG being a pretty meaningless stat though. Nice job.
Lol ok so I guess yards per game means nothing. I guess it’s ok that he can’t surpass 200 yards in a game 36 times in his career. But all the other “greats” don’t touch that number given how many years he’s played. That is awful. That’s not a “great” quarterback.

Tony Romo has the same YPA as Wilson. Does that mean he’s one of the “greatest of all time” too. This is simply one of those classic stumphunter statistics that you go hunting for just because it helps your argument. And then when you bring up other stats, those don’t count or matter. Only stumps stat does.

Yet his net yardage per pass attempt is ranked 18th.
Adjusted net yards per pass attempt gives a bonus for throwing touchdown passes while penalizing for sacks and interceptions, making it very good at telling you the amount of value provided (or not provided) by a passer in a given game, season, or career.
Blame his OL and weapons all you want but my entire point behind this is, he’s not a bad QB, but he is in no way, shape or form one of the “greatest of all time”. The greatest of all time type QBs don’t have all these inconsistencies over their careers. Wilson has more than many think. He’s nowhere near comparable to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, Montana, Favre, Elway and so on. Pull out all the stats you want. If anyone somehow thinks Wilson is better than a guy like Peyton Manning, your taking the best drugs on this earth
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:04 pm

Lol ok so I guess yards per game means nothing. I guess it’s ok that he can’t surpass 200 yards in a game 36 times in his career. But all the other “greats” don’t touch that number given how many years he’s played. That is awful. That’s not a “great” quarterback.

Tony Romo has the same YPA as Wilson. Does that mean he’s one of the “greatest of all time” too. This is simply one of those classic stumphunter statistics that you go hunting for just because it helps your argument. And then when you bring up other stats, those don’t count or matter. Only stumps stat does.

Adjusted net yards per pass attempt gives a bonus for throwing touchdown passes while penalizing for sacks and interceptions, making it very good at telling you the amount of value provided (or not provided) by a passer in a given game, season, or career.
Blame his OL and weapons all you want but my entire point behind this is, he’s not a bad QB, but he is in no way, shape or form one of the “greatest of all time”. The greatest of all time type QBs don’t have all these inconsistencies over their careers. Wilson has more than many think. He’s nowhere near comparable to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, Montana, Favre, Elway and so on. Pull out all the stats you want. If anyone somehow thinks Wilson is better than a guy like Peyton Manning, your taking the best drugs on this earth
I'd take Wilson for this Vikings team over any you've mentioned.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Over Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Marino, Montana, Favre, Elway in their prime?!! I hope you’re joking.....
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

YPA was in response to your ypg point, it isn't the main reason I think he is elite. #2 all time in TD% and passer rating, and most importantly, he wins.

ANY/A penalizes a QB for having a bad offensive line. Something Wilson has had for most of his career. AY/A, which doesn't include sacks, he is #2 again.

Two of the QBs you listed, Montana and Elway, have a significantly lower YPG than Wilson...

To get this thread back on track, Wilson is a prime example of an elite chef, and that is the real thing you don't like about him. He doesn't run a traditional offense and probably wouldn't have nearly as much success if he was asked too. I think he would still be good, but not great. His OC is probably the least important OC in football.

His inability, or unwillingness, to play the role of a Baker, is why people underrate him. He is not a traditional passer, so some think that makes him a lesser passer.

Cousins on the other hand, runs an offense exactly as it is called. His OC needs to be great, or he will struggle.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:05 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Over Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Marino, Montana, Favre, Elway in their prime?!! I hope you’re joking.....
My preference. I think Wilson would fit well on this team. The only guy I think you could plug and play on this team would be Manning. The rest I would question if their game would translate on a different team.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014