Vikings officially decline Laquon Treadwell’s fifth-year option

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings officially decline Laquon Treadwell’s fifth-year option

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Watching the WRs today outside of Diggs, I think 250 and a 1 TD would be optimistic for any WR outside of Tread, and even with him that is a stretch.
Honestly I didn't see anything from any WR today not named Diggs that makes me think they can contribute. Olabisi Johnson looks good but he's super raw. That's why I think they keep 4 WRs and 4 TSs.
Olabisi did look good. Taylor dropped a pass that would have made Manion's day look a lot better or he would have had a solid day too.

Tread was only targeted once, but I feel like he wasn't on the field a lot.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Watching the WRs today outside of Diggs, I think 250 and a 1 TD would be optimistic for any WR outside of Tread, and even with him that is a stretch.
Honestly I didn't see anything from any WR today not named Diggs that makes me think they can contribute. Olabisi Johnson looks good but he's super raw. That's why I think they keep 4 WRs and 4 TSs.
Could be, its a real tricky deal at the bottom of the roster. Bisi has shown some football character and seems to be the best KR not named Abdullah. So far, he hasn't shown a propensity for fumbling and maybe that gives him a leg up. Meanwhile, Beebe might also make the team primarily for special teams, as a holder and potential returner. If they keep Bailey and Wile, Beebe becomes a lock. If you are only keeping 4 WRs, those are the four in this scenario.

Now, if they keep Abdullah, Johnson becomes potentially expendable, maybe for Treadwell (though he has no special teams value) or Zylstra (who can't stay healthy, but remains under team control for more than just one year). Outside of the slot, Zylstra is probably the best WR on the team not named Diggs or Thielen.

If they IR Morgan, they could go with just 3 TEs (Rudolph, Conklin, Smith Jr.) and keep 5 WRs. If they keep 4 tight ends, 4 WR, I predict Zylstra will be one of the 4, Abdullah will be primary kick returner, and Bisi and Boone get cut with hopes they make it to practice squad.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What's wrong with Morgan?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 pm What's wrong with Morgan?
He has not recovered from a knee injury he suffered last year. He has been on the Pup list all preseason.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

fiestavike wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 pm What's wrong with Morgan?
He has not recovered from a knee injury he suffered last year. He has been on the Pup list all preseason.
That's not good. He is a really good blocker, and he can catch when given the opportunity. I hope he can recover.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don’t think Treadwell did enough to beat out Zylstra for the last spot. I think he’s cut on Saturday.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Big news today according to Ian Rapoport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1167822071247888385
The #Vikings are moving on from former first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, source said. They will work to trade him, but if no trade, he’ll be released.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:04 am Big news today according to Ian Rapoport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1167822071247888385
The #Vikings are moving on from former first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, source said. They will work to trade him, but if no trade, he’ll be released.
They may be able to get an egg mcmuffin for him but I am guessing he will be released.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

He was released and no team has claimed him. The Redskins released Josh Doctson their 1st round WR pick from the same year also. WR is a tough position to evaluate. I thought they would keep him based on his experience. Said he was gonna pick Kubs brain.
That probably didn't help him.