Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What (pre-determined) grade do you give this years draft?

A
19%
B
55%
C
21%
D
2%
F
2%

Total votes: 42

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:39 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 am
You waited too long to accept. Odds are straight up now. You want the bet?
I can't even find were the ST starters are listed. But Isidora played 14 pct of the total special teams plays. Whatever that means. So he could play one snap on ST I guess. I don't see him seeing the field at G which is what I thought this was all about. By that I mean starting. Not coming in during blowouts either way. I'll give a bet for you. He won't be the opening day starter at either G position. Unless he's an injury fill in. Do you want that one. Didn't think so.
You were saying play at all. That is why I asked specifically what you meant. Of course I don't expect him to be a day one starter. 4th round picks are almost never day one starters except for Kicker or Punter. So now we are in agreement. We both expect Samia to play this year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 pm Samia took only 3rd string reps in OTAs and minicamp. Same with Oli. Granted they're practicing in shorts so linemen are tough to evaluate right now but they've definitely got to climb over a number of guys to make the roster let alone start. I think Samia will make the roster, rare a 4th rounder doesn't, but will only see the field if injuries rack up. Oli likely is a practice squad guy.
I still hold out the possibility that Samia might replace Klein this season, particularly in Klein is not playing well. For the time being, I am just happy they seem to have set their starting 5 early. Best case scenario is that they all stay healthy and Samia plays so well that he is pushing for time, but with the track record of this coaching staff, I just don't think they'll make a change based on performance unless someone is REALLY playing badly.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 pm Samia took only 3rd string reps in OTAs and minicamp. Same with Oli. Granted they're practicing in shorts so linemen are tough to evaluate right now but they've definitely got to climb over a number of guys to make the roster let alone start. I think Samia will make the roster, rare a 4th rounder doesn't, but will only see the field if injuries rack up. Oli likely is a practice squad guy.
Are you saying not even one special teams snap for Samia?
Maybe? He'd have to be active not just on the roster. I'm not sure why that would be any sort of accomplishment...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 am
I still hold out the possibility that Samia might replace Klein this season, particularly in Klein is not playing well. For the time being, I am just happy they seem to have set their starting 5 early. Best case scenario is that they all stay healthy and Samia plays so well that he is pushing for time, but with the track record of this coaching staff, I just don't think they'll make a change based on performance unless someone is REALLY playing badly.
I'm also happy the starting 5 was set early. It would be nice even if he takes the backup spot this year, Isidora and Jones haven't been able to climb the depth chart despite awful guard play. They'll be competition at least.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:55 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 pm
Are you saying not even one special teams snap for Samia?
Maybe? He'd have to be active not just on the roster. I'm not sure why that would be any sort of accomplishment...
Because the idea that you and was it CharVike have that he isn't even going to be good enough to get one snap in the entire season is beyond depressing. I expect him to get actual snaps on the O Line this season and wouldn't be all that surprised if he ends up starting.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 am

Because the idea that you and was it CharVike have that he isn't even going to be good enough to get one snap in the entire season is beyond depressing. I expect him to get actual snaps on the O Line this season and wouldn't be all that surprised if he ends up starting.
I think if he is starting that is a very good thing, or very bad. Very good in that I believe Kline is not a great option and if Samia can beat him out he has a ton more potential. Very bad if Samia isnt ready and is forced to start because the Vikes have no one else.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Where did I say that? I said he's likely to make the roster but in a backup role this year. That seems pretty realistic to me. It would be great if he outperforms and takes a starting job but playing a single snap on special teams is relatively meaningless, no?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 pm
Where did I say that? I said he's likely to make the roster but in a backup role this year. That seems pretty realistic to me. It would be great if he outperforms and takes a starting job but playing a single snap on special teams is relatively meaningless, no?
He will be a backup. He won't win the starting job. Speilman and Kubiak and whoever else didn't bring Klein in to ride the bench and be a backup. The guy was a starter for a number of years in the NFL. Sam fell to the 4th round because he lacks the needed base strength. He can't hold the point. That's just the start of it. Isidora will be the first off the bench. He also has some playing time. That carries some weight. I hope he does win the starting spot and is a good player. But he has a better chance of being cut before that. Still he was a nice pick for that spot. It's not his time yet.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

He will be a backup. He won't win the starting job. Speilman and Kubiak and whoever else didn't bring Klein in to ride the bench and be a backup. The guy was a starter for a number of years in the NFL. Sam fell to the 4th round because he lacks the needed base strength. He can't hold the point. That's just the start of it. Isidora will be the first off the bench. He also has some playing time. That carries some weight. I hope he does win the starting spot and is a good player. But he has a better chance of being cut before that. Still he was a nice pick for that spot. It's not his time yet.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:37 pm

I disagree with you that he doesn't have the base strength and can't hold the point. You don't win Big 12 Offensive lineman of the year by not having base strength and not holding the point. You aren't a 2nd team All American for that either. I'm not expecting him to start, but I see no reason to belittle him. Isidora has proven to suck. Samia will beat him out.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

At least playing special teams is more meaningful than not playing at all. I expect him to get actual O Line snaps which is of course more meaningful. I don't expect him to be a constant game day inactive.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:37 pm
I disagree with you that he doesn't have the base strength and can't hold the point. You don't win Big 12 Offensive lineman of the year by not having base strength and not holding the point. You aren't a 2nd team All American for that either. I'm not expecting him to start, but I see no reason to belittle him. Isidora has proven to suck. Samia will beat him out.
He slipped to the 4th round for a reason. Don't you think the offensive lineman of the year in the Big 12 would have at least been picked in the 2nd round and probably the first? Teams all knew him very well. The main reason was base strength. That's all. And I certainly hope he turns out to be a good player because Klein is a stop gap. You belittle Isidora stating he sucks but he did get some playing time. IMO he's miles ahead of Sam right now. But it could change. Isi could take a huge leap up which will be great for us. I liked him as a pick also. Again I like the Sam pick but I think he will sit this year as a G.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:08 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 am
He slipped to the 4th round for a reason. Don't you think the offensive lineman of the year in the Big 12 would have at least been picked in the 2nd round and probably the first? Teams all knew him very well. The main reason was base strength. That's all. And I certainly hope he turns out to be a good player because Klein is a stop gap. You belittle Isidora stating he sucks but he did get some playing time. IMO he's miles ahead of Sam right now. But it could change. Isi could take a huge leap up which will be great for us. I liked him as a pick also. Again I like the Sam pick but I think he will sit this year as a G.
I liked Isidora and his potential at first but when he filled in, he wasnt very good. The difference with Samia is he has that nastiness to him. Which I'm surprised you havent jumped all over given what you look for in an OL. Samia is miles ahead of Isidora in that regard IMO. Granted I havent seen Samia play an NFL down yet, but I definitely take him over Isidora any day. I could be wrong but Isidora just seems like a career backup. Samia I can see as a future starter.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:08 pm
I liked Isidora and his potential at first but when he filled in, he wasnt very good. The difference with Samia is he has that nastiness to him. Which I'm surprised you havent jumped all over given what you look for in an OL. Samia is miles ahead of Isidora in that regard IMO. Granted I havent seen Samia play an NFL down yet, but I definitely take him over Isidora any day. I could be wrong but Isidora just seems like a career backup. Samia I can see as a future starter.
You're 100 percent correct that Sam is a nasty player which I do like. And I certainly hope he becomes a solid player. What I read was he lacks the base strength. And I also stated he slipped to round 4 for some reason(s). He was heavily scouted because that OU OL was very good and their QB was scouted heavily.. Every team knew him well. Both positives and negatives. So he didn't slip because no team knew about him. Isi probably is a career backup. He couldn't crack the lineup last year and that speaks volumes. Bottom line he could be a starter or cut and I wouldn't be surprised either way. I feel the same about Sam. But something is not clicking with the scouts and he slipped. What that is I have no clue and it isn't being reported on. But it's more than strength because that can be fixed.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am

You're 100 percent correct that Sam is a nasty player which I do like. And I certainly hope he becomes a solid player. What I read was he lacks the base strength. And I also stated he slipped to round 4 for some reason(s). He was heavily scouted because that OU OL was very good and their QB was scouted heavily.. Every team knew him well. Both positives and negatives. So he didn't slip because no team knew about him. Isi probably is a career backup. He couldn't crack the lineup last year and that speaks volumes. Bottom line he could be a starter or cut and I wouldn't be surprised either way. I feel the same about Sam. But something is not clicking with the scouts and he slipped. What that is I have no clue and it isn't being reported on. But it's more than strength because that can be fixed.
It could be he slipped because he wasn't a great fit in every system. The Vikes drafted him, so they probably think he does fit their zone blocking scheme.