Kyle Rudolph unfollows Vikings after Irv Smith Jr. drafted

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Kyle Rudolph unfollows Vikings after Irv Smith Jr. drafted

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:28 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:24 pm
OK, seriously? Case Keenum had NOTHING to do with the season the Vikings had?

Wow. I must have been in an alternate universe for 6 months. Because what I saw was that Case Keenum, for all his warts and horseshoes and the like, saved our season in 2017.
The team played very well. When we played the Steelers we needed a big game from Keenum and he couldn't do it. He won't do anything for the Skins. As I pointed out we shut out the Pack. Keenum had nothing to do with that win. Our D had a very good season. They cracked against the Saints and fell apart against the Eagles. Keenum had to pull the game out and he couldn't.
Keenum played very well against Tampa. Against the Bears. Against the Rams. Against the Redskins. Against Detroit. Against Cincinnati. Against Atlanta. And yes, against the Saints in the playoffs.

I never said he was MVP or all-pro or even a Pro-Bowler. And I wouldn't have re-signed him over Cousins. But I can appreciate what he gave the team. And to say he had nothing to do with the Vikings' success ... especially coming in as a 3rd quarterback who wasn't expected to see the field ... well, I think that's unfair. I said it at the time, and I stand by it now -- Case Keenum, while not a long-term answer at QB for the Vikings, sure gave us a lift in 2017.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 pm
The team played very well. When we played the Steelers we needed a big game from Keenum and he couldn't do it. He won't do anything for the Skins. As I pointed out we shut out the Pack. Keenum had nothing to do with that win. Our D had a very good season. They cracked against the Saints and fell apart against the Eagles. Keenum had to pull the game out and he couldn't.
Keenum played very well against Tampa. Against the Bears. Against the Rams. Against the Redskins. Against Detroit. Against Cincinnati. Against Atlanta. And yes, against the Saints in the playoffs.

I never said he was MVP or all-pro or even a Pro-Bowler. And I wouldn't have re-signed him over Cousins. But I can appreciate what he gave the team. And to say he had nothing to do with the Vikings' success ... especially coming in as a 3rd quarterback who wasn't expected to see the field ... well, I think that's unfair. I said it at the time, and I stand by it now -- Case Keenum, while not a long-term answer at QB for the Vikings, sure gave us a lift in 2017.
Oh 100%. I don’t think many Viking fans can say they didn’t enjoy that season but anyone with eyes knew Keenum wasn’t a long term answer. Case was also playing a pretty weak schedule in 2017. But as I’ve said before, so many things have to go right for a team to go as far as we did or even win a SB. That year, just so many things went right. We stayed healthy on D and maintained the #1 D in the nfl, until the flop in philly. We had an excellent coordinator that played to our strengths on offense. The OL was playing the best it has in year. Diggs and Theilen were great. Murray and McKinnon were great because Shurmur knew how to use them. Not just Keenum but everything was going well.

Not many things went well last year for us. Soprano passing, griff going AWOL, our OC sucking, our OC taking two of our best players out of the game in cook and Murray, our OL taking a step back, our D taking a step back, our kicking game struggling and so on. It just wasn’t our year no matter who we had talent wise. I feel like you’re going to see a different team, especially on offense this year
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Oh 100%. I don’t think many Viking fans can say they didn’t enjoy that season but anyone with eyes knew Keenum wasn’t a long term answer.
:shock:

You don't have eyes? This explains your reading comprehension.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:32 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Oh 100%. I don’t think many Viking fans can say they didn’t enjoy that season but anyone with eyes knew Keenum wasn’t a long term answer.

I never once said he was a long term answer.....but please, continue your arrogance and trolling
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:32 am

I never once said he was a long term answer.....but please, continue your arrogance and trolling
I mean not specifically long term, but in this quote, that you were just reminded of, you talk about his age in your decision to re-sign him. If you weren't talking long term, why did it matter how old he was?
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I would say just outside the top 10. Maybe even sneak into the top 10. See there are some guys I would take him over that others might not. I would take Case over Newton and Winston. I'd even take him over some of these older QBs such as Manning, Brees, Rivers.

It's hard to say "yeah I would love to have Tom Brady over Case Keenum" right now because the guy is 40 and only has a few years left. Granted Brady is way better but Brady also isnt 29.

From a skill perspective, I would rank Case around 10-15. From a "who I want right now standpoint" I would rank him inside the top 10 for sure.

If that makes sense lol
You argued that Keenum might be a better option than Tom Brady because he was younger, and you would take him over Manning, Brees and Rivers because again, he was younger and provided a more long term answer at QB.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

My stance was unfair, You are correct in that he did help us. I still have a bad taste with that pathetic Champ game performance. Yes he was a 3rd stringer and that is all he ever will be. No arm QB. I was to harsh and appreciate your feedback regarding the subject. I'm at fault that sometimes I can jump on players and won't let go. I want us to win it all as badly as every else. I have concerns about our current setup. Of course all teams have concerns. I'm not even that pissed with last season. We had many pieces that broke down. Isn't wasn't all Cousins. Of course he will never be considered the best to ever play the game. But IMO he's the best we have had since Fran. I watched for years that Kramer/Wilson BS and neither were close to Cousins. And I give Speilman credit for fixing that position the best he could. Hopefully he has learned not to waste 1st rounds picks on stiffs with zero arm. Ponder and Teddy were laughable. We also couldn't catch a break. That 1st Green Bay should have been a victory. The bum FG kicker we had couldn't even make an extra point attempt FG. It's tough to beat Rodgers at home. With out Rodgers we would have spanked them just like the year before. But this Bear team will be a tough out. That D is dam good and they create TOs at a good rate. I get pissed at our D being called one of the best and they don't create TOs. Their middle of the pack. That blows. That's not a top D IMO. Not good enough to push us through the tough playoff games.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:10 am
I mean not specifically long term, but in this quote, that you were just reminded of, you talk about his age in your decision to re-sign him. If you weren't talking long term, why did it matter how old he was?

I would say just outside the top 10. Maybe even sneak into the top 10. See there are some guys I would take him over that others might not. I would take Case over Newton and Winston. I'd even take him over some of these older QBs such as Manning, Brees, Rivers.

It's hard to say "yeah I would love to have Tom Brady over Case Keenum" right now because the guy is 40 and only has a few years left. Granted Brady is way better but Brady also isnt 29.

From a skill perspective, I would rank Case around 10-15. From a "who I want right now standpoint" I would rank him inside the top 10 for sure.

If that makes sense lol

You argued that Keenum might be a better option than Tom Brady because he was younger, and you would take him over Manning, Brees and Rivers because again, he was younger and provided a more long term answer at QB.
I had no idea when those guys are going to retire. I still dont. Nobody does. Most QBs dont play until they are 40. Brady and Brees are now. Eli is younger but has just fallen off a cliff at this point. Brady could have retired the year I made that comment. You dont know. So you have Case that you know clearly isnt going to retire vs a guy that could literally retire any day of the week. I was saying in general because you simply dont know when these guys are going to hang them up. But take it any way you want. Case wasnt a long term answer. Never did I say we should sign Case to a 5 year deal. My mocks that year had us signing Cousins. If I wanted Case that bad or thought he was a long term answer, I would have had us re-signing Case.
Let Walk

QB- Case Keenum- This was a tough one. I just feel like Zim felt like Case was riding a wave this past season and doesnt have much confidence in him. IMO it's either keep Case or get Cousins. No other options IMO
...from the very first mock I did in March 2nd of 2018. If I wanted Case long term like you think I did, I would have kept him but I didnt. I had us signing Cousins instead. So twist it any way you would like, but you arent proving anything other than how obsessed you are with proving people wrong when it comes to our QB
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 am

My stance was unfair, You are correct in that he did help us. I still have a bad taste with that pathetic Champ game performance. Yes he was a 3rd stringer and that is all he ever will be. No arm QB. I was to harsh and appreciate your feedback regarding the subject. I'm at fault that sometimes I can jump on players and won't let go. I want us to win it all as badly as every else. I have concerns about our current setup. Of course all teams have concerns. I'm not even that pissed with last season. We had many pieces that broke down. Isn't wasn't all Cousins. Of course he will never be considered the best to ever play the game. But IMO he's the best we have had since Fran. I watched for years that Kramer/Wilson BS and neither were close to Cousins. And I give Speilman credit for fixing that position the best he could. Hopefully he has learned not to waste 1st rounds picks on stiffs with zero arm. Ponder and Teddy were laughable. We also couldn't catch a break. That 1st Green Bay should have been a victory. The bum FG kicker we had couldn't even make an extra point attempt FG. It's tough to beat Rodgers at home. With out Rodgers we would have spanked them just like the year before. But this Bear team will be a tough out. That D is dam good and they create TOs at a good rate. I get pissed at our D being called one of the best and they don't create TOs. Their middle of the pack. That blows. That's not a top D IMO. Not good enough to push us through the tough playoff games.
It's all good, man. I'm with you ... I've been at this Vikings fan thing since 1969. I want them to win so badly I can't even describe it. I just really appreciate what Case Keenum gave us in 2017. He played his butt off. Yes, he's limited physically, and sometimes he made head-scratching plays. And he stunk in the NFCC game, although in his defense, both Thielen and Diggs were nowhere near 100%, and the line did him no favors against a really good defensive front. But man, there were games that year he played so well that I just went, "Who are you and what have you done with the real Case Keenum?" If I saw the man in a restaurant, I'd pay for his dinner because I appreciate what he did for us. That's different than believing he should have been the franchise quarterback.

I also agree with you on Cousins. That's not a popular take, but I believe he has all the physical attributes he needs. His real problem, I believe, is that he has an accountant's mind. Everything has to be in order, just so, in its place. I mean, the guy schedules his day in 10-minute increments. Consequently, when the play breaks down, he's not terribly good at improvising. But he can make all the throws, and he's a pro's pro. He prepares like crazy, and he truly does, I believe, give everything he's got. The Vikings need to find a way to make sure he's a) upright a little more, and b) not required to improvise as much. That would come with a solid running game, which I believe Gary Kubiak is uniquely qualified to help us produce. Whether that actually happens is anybody's guess, but IMO he was the perfect hire for Cousins.

We'll see what happens. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 am
It's all good, man. I'm with you ... I've been at this Vikings fan thing since 1969. I want them to win so badly I can't even describe it. I just really appreciate what Case Keenum gave us in 2017. He played his butt off. Yes, he's limited physically, and sometimes he made head-scratching plays. And he stunk in the NFCC game, although in his defense, both Thielen and Diggs were nowhere near 100%, and the line did him no favors against a really good defensive front. But man, there were games that year he played so well that I just went, "Who are you and what have you done with the real Case Keenum?" If I saw the man in a restaurant, I'd pay for his dinner because I appreciate what he did for us. That's different than believing he should have been the franchise quarterback.

I also agree with you on Cousins. That's not a popular take, but I believe he has all the physical attributes he needs. His real problem, I believe, is that he has an accountant's mind. Everything has to be in order, just so, in its place. I mean, the guy schedules his day in 10-minute increments. Consequently, when the play breaks down, he's not terribly good at improvising. But he can make all the throws, and he's a pro's pro. He prepares like crazy, and he truly does, I believe, give everything he's got. The Vikings need to find a way to make sure he's a) upright a little more, and b) not required to improvise as much. That would come with a solid running game, which I believe Gary Kubiak is uniquely qualified to help us produce. Whether that actually happens is anybody's guess, but IMO he was the perfect hire for Cousins.

We'll see what happens. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.
I totally agree. Cousins is not good at minimizing the damage of potentially negative plays. That is just a huge part of playing QB in the NFL, but I also agree that you can use scheme to help decrease the numbers of sideways plays.

I'd like to see Kirk throw the ball away or go down Peyton Manning style when he winds up in those situations.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

This message board is so lame now. Sorry, Cliff. I want to have real conversations about the Vikings and football, but that doesn't happen anymore.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 am This message board is so lame now. Sorry, Cliff. I want to have real conversations about the Vikings and football, but that doesn't happen anymore.
It's certainly different!

We have a great fanbase. Very passionate. If you force yourself to skip over the petty arguing, name-calling and trolling. this is still a great source of info. Especially for those of us not in the state.

Skol!
i'm ready for a beer.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 am This message board is so lame now. Sorry, Cliff. I want to have real conversations about the Vikings and football, but that doesn't happen anymore.

We have a great fanbase. Very passionate. If you force yourself to skip over the petty arguing, name-calling and trolling. this is still a great source of info. Especially for those of us not in the state.

Skol!
Although I must admit the thread, "Why did Kirk Cousins not play like Tom Brady" makes me laugh out loud every. Single. Time.
:lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Skol!
That's like 99.9% of the posts though. It used to be all informative with mature conversation (for the most part). Now it's "you're wrong so it means you don't have eyes" or people vomiting stats non stop like they mean something. Even in the lean years of the early 2010s, the members stayed civil to each other.
Notice that like the top 5-10 posters on the board don't even post anymore. Probably 25% of the posts since the beginning are made by people who barely say anything. Gee I wonder why that is. Maybe everyone is "busy" but that's a wild coincidence if thsts the case.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 am

Skol!
Although I must admit the thread, "Why did Kirk Cousins not play like Tom Brady" makes me laugh out loud every. Single. Time.
:lol:
I've never even opened that one. Talk about a bait thread.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Skol!
That's like 99.9% of the posts though. It used to be all informative with mature conversation (for the most part). Now it's "you're wrong so it means you don't have eyes" or people vomiting stats non stop like they mean something. Even in the lean years of the early 2010s, the members stayed civil to each other.
Notice that like the top 5-10 posters on the board don't even post anymore. Probably 25% of the posts since the beginning are made by people who barely say anything. Gee I wonder why that is. Maybe everyone is "busy" but that's a wild coincidence if thsts the case.
OK, I need to take exception to something here.

"Vomiting stats like they mean something"? Come on, man. There are tons and tons of unsubstantiated opinions offered on this board. People take the time and bother to back their positions with statistics, and that's vomiting?

That's a pretty disappointing position for someone who's looking for intelligent conversation.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.