3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 am
halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:01 am

How many of them 9 picks will make the 54? We're not rebuilding the team. Just trying to fill a few holes with quality people.

DP can't get the video to play.
I think it is universally acknowledged that if the vikings select 9 plus players today, most of them will not be on the day 1 roster. The question is whether selecting 6 times at a later point in the draft or 1 time earlier in the draft is more likely to lead to the selection of someone who will be a significant contributor.
Example: That Alabama RB the Pats picked in round 3 will become a starter. The Vikes picked a career backup.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

RBs are hard to gauge in the draft. This one could definitely go either way. For what it is worth, Mattison is the only RB drafted from Boise St (there have been quite a few) that has led that conference in rushing yards.

I definitely think they are wanting to lighten the load on Cook and have a little better insurance than what we had. Could we have gotten him in the 4th or 5th? Obviously they thought he would have been gone.

I do like the extra picks. A lot of you are ripping on it, but picking up what we did to go from mid 3rd to late 3rd is worth it when you have zero salary space. I am hopeful that 2 of the players picked today will make the roster, making it a total of 5 from this year's draft.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 am

I think it is universally acknowledged that if the vikings select 9 plus players today, most of them will not be on the day 1 roster. The question is whether selecting 6 times at a later point in the draft or 1 time earlier in the draft is more likely to lead to the selection of someone who will be a significant contributor.
Example: That Alabama RB the Pats picked in round 3 will become a starter. The Vikes picked a career backup.
So, Harris will replace Sony Michel as the starter on the Pats. Got it. Let us know when that happens.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am

Hold onto Murray with what money? I guess I don’t understand how RB Wasn’t a 3rd (practically 4th) round need. We don’t have a backup and we don’t have a starter that has stayed healthy yet. Without cook, we’re starting an undrafted free agent. There isn’t a position in the nfl that takes more of a beating than RB. This is a 2 back league now. We knew we were going to draft a RB and we knew it would be mid to late rounds. I’m not sure why this pick is being so blown out of proportion. There were a TON of backs out there. So if we’re targeting a RB in the 3rd, we probably had a lot of them graded the same, hence trading down. Why not gain more picks and still get the guy you want. Now we have the opportunity to move anywhere we want today. Some of you guys are drooling over Hakeem Butler and going nuts that we passed on him twice, yet.....he’s still on the board. So what does that say about him? We have 9 picks today. That’s awesome if you ask me. We’re lucky to have 9 picks in an entire draft. Instead, we have 9 alone on day 3 with plenty of talent still on the board. I think it was a good move
How many of them 9 picks will make the 54? We're not rebuilding the team. Just trying to fill a few holes with quality people.

You don’t rebuild a team in the late rounds regardless. Late rounds are to find depth and hopefully a starter or two
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 am

Lol what? Sony Michel is there. That’s not a good example and chances are, the guy is also a career backup. I feel like you’re just complaining to complain now. If anything, your statement hurts your argument, not help it
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:41 am

You don’t rebuild a team in the late rounds regardless. Late rounds are to find depth and hopefully a starter or two
I wouldn't mind using those picks to grab a QB prospect or two if they are willing to consider going forward without Mannion. Someone like Thorson or Finley.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I like mattison, he is gonna be a good compliment to Cook. C'mon people, this kid is way better than Mike Boone ......

Today trade everything and get deonte Thompson at safety. And the QB out of NC State and I would be happy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:15 am I like mattison, he is gonna be a good compliment to Cook. C'mon people, this kid is way better than Mike Boone ......

Today trade everything and get deonte Thompson at safety. And the QB out of NC State and I would be happy.
I know there’s so much talent out there still. Riley Ridley, Hooker, Jordan, Bryant, Wilson, Slayton and so on.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:46 am
S197 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:18 am MAYBE you get a guy like Kearse and weatherly. Maybe. I don't like getting that cute with early picks for the slim chance of late round success. We don't need 10picks nor do we have the space for that many. Fact is, most will he cut with maybe 1 or 2 making the team.
I don't see why that's problematic. Of course they won't all make the team. Still, each pick is another roll of the dice and another shot at a keeper.
There's an inflection point. Otherwise why not trade away your 1st and 2nd round picks? You could get 20 rolls of the dice.

I'm okay with accumulating picks but I don't know that you need 10. Sometimes picking less but higher probability guys may be a better strategy on a crowded roster. I'm looking at the Titans draft, who picked right after us and like what they did a lot more than moving back for 380 pound linemen that isn't making the team.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

A little background

Check out @CBSSportsNet’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status ... 27040?s=09
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

For those that can't get the video to play

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mattwaldma ... state/amp/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 pm I think we will see a lot more two tight end sets next year as opposed to 3 WR ones barring a release or trade of Rudolph which I hope doesn't happen.
There isn't a team out there that will trade for a slug TE. He needs to take a huge CAP drop or get cut. That's throwing CAP away on garbage.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:05 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 pm I think we will see a lot more two tight end sets next year as opposed to 3 WR ones barring a release or trade of Rudolph which I hope doesn't happen.
There isn't a team out there that will trade for a slug TE. He needs to take a huge CAP drop or get cut. That's throwing CAP away on garbage.
Well who is out there that we could bring in with the savings right now that would replace what he gave us last year?

64 receptions

634 yards

9.9 ypc

44 long

4 tds

Not bad production for a slug.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He's a slow running, bad blocking RB. Nothing special, certainly not a 3rd rd value. But Rick would have just traded the pick back for a 25th 7th round pick...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

It kills me that guys are saying Mattison is a “slow RB” and think they know what they are talking about because they googled his combine numbers and saw he ran a 4.67.

Mattison ran multiple times at his pro day and ran a 4.52 and ran nothing less than a 4.57. Josh Jacobs, Devin Singletary, Damien Harris and David Montgomery all ran slower than than a 4.52. And they all got drafted before Mattison. The only ones that were drafted ahead of Mattison that were faster were Miles Sanders and Darrell Henderson. Amazing what some film study and little research will do instead of just looking at a single number. The “he’s slow” argument can be put to rest now. Watch the guy play. He’s a patient runner with a great one-cut downhill style. Very shifty in tight spaces. I said before, he reminds me of Devonta Freeman. And freeman ran a 4.58. Mattison needs to get better as a blocker for sure, but this kid is a damn good RB
-Chazz Palminteri