3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm
We all have opinions. You can't take a 120 pound guy and have him play OL at the NFL level. Even though he is strong as an ox, great foot work, leverage ect he will get engulfed by a massive man. That's what your missing. My example is extreme. If the size isn't there you can't play the position. That's why I like the bigger dude. All that other BS means nothing if the guy is bigger than you.
BS?

Thanks man. I try to have an intelligent conversation with you, and that's where you go?

Who said anything about a 120-pound guy? You just took reasonable post and insulted the hell out of it. You're right ... we all have our opinions. How about you respect mine?
I apologize. I didn't express my thoughts very well. I said my example was extreme. I prefer the size advantage. Of course a team can win without that advantage. I realize that also. I know I always use the Hogs from Joe Gibbs but they proved it can work even if you have less than the top QB in the game. Since we don't have the top QB I would like to see us go in a different direction. But I do like Cousins. And I realize each week will be different. I also like the fact that we didn't throw 40+ times. It's different and our own identity. But throwing 10 times a game was probably a once and never again deal. I expect that our team will need to open it up this week. It could be the opposite and a pass only game for us. That to me will be big trouble. But we should come out of this with a win. Will it be like the Falcons I highly doubt it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:52 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 pm
BS?

Thanks man. I try to have an intelligent conversation with you, and that's where you go?

Who said anything about a 120-pound guy? You just took reasonable post and insulted the hell out of it. You're right ... we all have our opinions. How about you respect mine?
I apologize. I didn't express my thoughts very well. I said my example was extreme. I prefer the size advantage. Of course a team can win without that advantage. I realize that also. I know I always use the Hogs from Joe Gibbs but they proved it can work even if you have less than the top QB in the game. Since we don't have the top QB I would like to see us go in a different direction. But I do like Cousins. And I realize each week will be different. I also like the fact that we didn't throw 40+ times. It's different and our own identity. But throwing 10 times a game was probably a once and never again deal. I expect that our team will need to open it up this week. It could be the opposite and a pass only game for us. That to me will be big trouble. But we should come out of this with a win. Will it be like the Falcons I highly doubt it.
Apology accepted.

You know, The Hogs didn't get their name because of their size, nor did the media create it. That was a term coined by offensive line coach Joe Bugel during training camp in 1982, when said, "Okay, you hogs, let's get running down there." They liked the nickname, so it stuck. In actuality, they averaged 273 pounds across the line, which was fairly average for the time. And their signature play wasn't based on power at all ... it was the counter-trap, which takes a lot of coordination and athleticism.

if you look at other great O-lines in history, such as the mid-90s Broncos, they weren't all that big, either. However, like The Hogs, they were just GOOD.

There's little doubt that we're going to have to open things up against the Packers, at least to some degree.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Well so far Mattison has proved you wrong so you can stop your argument now. Stop complaining. We just put on a show and mattison was a part of that. Move on
He did something Boone couldnt? You werent on a high school debate team right?
I have no problem saying Mattison did what Boone couldn't. I've seen Boone in real NFL games and it was never a good thing. As for your not caring about Butler you specifically brought him up as a better option. Now that we have all pointed out how badly he sucks you move the goalposts.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Only thing I want to add to this is that Josh Doctson is a fine 3rd Wr and my original qualms are solved.
I started the above post and never posted it. Sucks that he is out.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

He did something Boone couldnt? You werent on a high school debate team right?
I have no problem saying Mattison did what Boone couldn't. I've seen Boone in real NFL games and it was never a good thing. As for your not caring about Butler you specifically brought him up as a better option. Now that we have all pointed out how badly he sucks you move the goalposts.
I'm not doing much responding on this aspect of the convo any more. I like and still like Butler. However, my point was that WR, any WR, was more important. Said it from the start and in English too. If you call that moving the goalpost then you're right, I'm wrong. You can have the kudos.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:29 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 pm

I'm not doing much responding on this aspect of the convo any more. I like and still like Butler. However, my point was that WR, any WR, was more important. Said it from the start and in English too. If you call that moving the goalpost then you're right, I'm wrong. You can have the kudos.
I've come down on you real hard on this topic and you have been a pretty decent sport regarding it. One thing that hasn't been addressed though is talent should be the overriding factor in this decision. 2nd RB 3rd WR is debatable which is more important. I think if the Vikings saw a WR they considered a better talent than Mattison they would have gone that way. I think they didn't. To me in the Vikings opinion Mattison was the best talent on the board.