3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by S197 »

MAYBE you get a guy like Kearse and weatherly. Maybe. I don't like getting that cute with early picks for the slim chance of late round success. We don't need 10picks nor do we have the space for that many. Fact is, most will he cut with maybe 1 or 2 making the team.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:18 am MAYBE you get a guy like Kearse and weatherly. Maybe. I don't like getting that cute with early picks for the slim chance of late round success. We don't need 10picks nor do we have the space for that many. Fact is, most will he cut with maybe 1 or 2 making the team.
Exactly. That's why I say spielman reminds me of David Kahn when he was the Timberwolves GM. He would just make trades to get his name in the paper. We have other needs that can legitimately be filled with the right players. RB in the third round is not one of them.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:13 pm This pick I don't like. We have Boone, Abdullah, and Ham. This seems like a wasted picj unless someone can change my mind.
Ham is a FB. I'm not sure why he's involved with that group. Abdullah is a special teamer. Boone is the only factor here.
Ham can run and move with the ball very well. I want to see him more involved in the running game as a runner.
My point is, RB is not a third round need for us. Despite the fact that I hate when Spielman is in his trading kicks, I would have much rather he traded the pick if this guy is the only legitimate player he liked at this spot.
Unless they don't trust Cook's health, in which case they should have held on to Murray.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTG6wGGhLL0

For those that think Mattison is "slow" or "not a good athlete", watch again. The kid is a straight up baller. Runs hard, very shifty at the line, patient, reads the field and defenders well at the next level, and has a lot more speed than some think. He's got that game speed. This kid is going to be a good RB for us. Reminds me a lot of Cook or Devonta Freeman. I watched tape on him like a month ago (for fantasy purposes, I'm in multiple dynasty leagues where rookies are valuable) and I liked Mattison, Miles Sanders and Hill the best out of the guys I watched. This kid can play
Leroy Hoard runner
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTG6wGGhLL0

For those that think Mattison is "slow" or "not a good athlete", watch again. The kid is a straight up baller. Runs hard, very shifty at the line, patient, reads the field and defenders well at the next level, and has a lot more speed than some think. He's got that game speed. This kid is going to be a good RB for us. Reminds me a lot of Cook or Devonta Freeman. I watched tape on him like a month ago (for fantasy purposes, I'm in multiple dynasty leagues where rookies are valuable) and I liked Mattison, Miles Sanders and Hill the best out of the guys I watched. This kid can play
Leroy Hoard runner
He's not a third round need though. If they were seriously targeting him the entire 3rd round, and they were able to make 63 trades before getting him and still drafting him in the third round, what does that tell you about how other teams viewed him?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 am
halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 am

Leroy Hoard runner
He's not a third round need though. If they were seriously targeting him the entire 3rd round, and they were able to make 63 trades before getting him and still drafting him in the third round, what does that tell you about how other teams viewed him?
I agree...From 81 to 102 a lot better talent got picked.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:28 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 pm

A 3rd WR is not more important. Last year, would you say Latavius Murray was more important or our 3rd WR? We have a back that has yet to play 16 games and don't have much of a backup behind him. We have the best WR duo in football. Not saying a 3rd WR isn't important, but it's much easier to get away with who we have at WR vs getting away with a below average backup RB.

As for Ferguson, he has off the field issues. Him falling isn't a surprise
I would say 3rd WR is more important. As you point out teams (including us) are routinely in 3 WR sets. Our 3rd WR (aldrick) had 6 tds last season.
We're going to go 2 TE perhaps more than any team in the league.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:18 am MAYBE you get a guy like Kearse and weatherly. Maybe. I don't like getting that cute with early picks for the slim chance of late round success. We don't need 10picks nor do we have the space for that many. Fact is, most will he cut with maybe 1 or 2 making the team.
I don't see why that's problematic. Of course they won't all make the team. Still, each pick is another roll of the dice and another shot at a keeper.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

This seems like a great pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:23 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 pm

Ham is a FB. I'm not sure why he's involved with that group. Abdullah is a special teamer. Boone is the only factor here.
Ham can run and move with the ball very well. I want to see him more involved in the running game as a runner.
My point is, RB is not a third round need for us. Despite the fact that I hate when Spielman is in his trading kicks, I would have much rather he traded the pick if this guy is the only legitimate player he liked at this spot.
Unless they don't trust Cook's health, in which case they should have held on to Murray.
Hold onto Murray with what money? I guess I don’t understand how RB Wasn’t a 3rd (practically 4th) round need. We don’t have a backup and we don’t have a starter that has stayed healthy yet. Without cook, we’re starting an undrafted free agent. There isn’t a position in the nfl that takes more of a beating than RB. This is a 2 back league now. We knew we were going to draft a RB and we knew it would be mid to late rounds. I’m not sure why this pick is being so blown out of proportion. There were a TON of backs out there. So if we’re targeting a RB in the 3rd, we probably had a lot of them graded the same, hence trading down. Why not gain more picks and still get the guy you want. Now we have the opportunity to move anywhere we want today. Some of you guys are drooling over Hakeem Butler and going nuts that we passed on him twice, yet.....he’s still on the board. So what does that say about him? We have 9 picks today. That’s awesome if you ask me. We’re lucky to have 9 picks in an entire draft. Instead, we have 9 alone on day 3 with plenty of talent still on the board. I think it was a good move
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:46 am
I don't see why that's problematic. Of course they won't all make the team. Still, each pick is another roll of the dice and another shot at a keeper.
Exactly. And we not have ammo to literally move up to the first pick today if we wanted. It’s just common sense. If you have 2 picks between the 6-7th compared to 7 picks in the 6th and 7th, the probability of you landing an impact player is drastically higher than it was going in. And I can also GUARANTEE, Spielman isn’t sitting still with all these picks. He mentioned last night how they now have the ability to trade up in the 4th or 5th if they want. Guys are acting like he got these picks so he could stay in those spots and draft a bunch of 7th round picks. Spielman is going to move around today.

I think the best trade of the night was moving down from 92 to 93 and gaining a 7th. That’s excellent value. Down 1 spot and gained an extra pick. No less it was the 3rd overall pick in the 7th. Or the trade with Seattle. Move down 4 spots and send them a 6th for their 3rd and a 5th. Only went back 4 picks and gained a pick in a round where we didn’t have one.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:23 am

Hold onto Murray with what money? I guess I don’t understand how RB Wasn’t a 3rd (practically 4th) round need. We don’t have a backup and we don’t have a starter that has stayed healthy yet. Without cook, we’re starting an undrafted free agent. There isn’t a position in the nfl that takes more of a beating than RB. This is a 2 back league now. We knew we were going to draft a RB and we knew it would be mid to late rounds. I’m not sure why this pick is being so blown out of proportion. There were a TON of backs out there. So if we’re targeting a RB in the 3rd, we probably had a lot of them graded the same, hence trading down. Why not gain more picks and still get the guy you want. Now we have the opportunity to move anywhere we want today. Some of you guys are drooling over Hakeem Butler and going nuts that we passed on him twice, yet.....he’s still on the board. So what does that say about him? We have 9 picks today. That’s awesome if you ask me. We’re lucky to have 9 picks in an entire draft. Instead, we have 9 alone on day 3 with plenty of talent still on the board. I think it was a good move
How many of them 9 picks will make the 54? We're not rebuilding the team. Just trying to fill a few holes with quality people.

DP can't get the video to play.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:01 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am

How many of them 9 picks will make the 54? We're not rebuilding the team. Just trying to fill a few holes with quality people.

DP can't get the video to play.
I think it is universally acknowledged that if the vikings select 9 plus players today, most of them will not be on the day 1 roster. The question is whether selecting 6 times at a later point in the draft or 1 time earlier in the draft is more likely to lead to the selection of someone who will be a significant contributor.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

https://twitter.com/cbssportsnet/status ... 40?lang=en

I think this is what DP was trying to show you guys. I just watched it. Hard not to like this kid. Good football and better person
-Chazz Palminteri