2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:27 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm They extended Thielen. I don't know how they will be able to pay all of these players. That's a lot of money going to about a third of the players on the team.
Really happy with this extension. Where are they finding the money? The cap is a myth.
It's that Brzezinski guy, our Salary Cap Wizard, according to Wikipedia. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Brzezinski
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Really happy with this extension. Where are they finding the money? The cap is a myth.

Lol he really is. He very well might be the best in the league at cap management. This is why he’s consistently been a candidate for higher up front office jobs. I’m glad we’ve been able to hold onto him!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
WallytheVike
Practice Squad

Post by WallytheVike »

If there is one guy who deserves to be paid it's Theilen. He's worked his butt off to get where he is.
WallytheVike
Practice Squad

Post by WallytheVike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 am Doesn’t surprise me. Hence why he went undrafted last year. Going to have to look for a CB in FA or late in the draft
No shock at all. In a house with a guy busted with illegal drugs. Probably failed a pot test and the NFL is being nice and calling it a PED which means anything. Once Thomas starts chirping to save his skin I suspect Hill is toast. Say bye bye. If Rhodes don't bounce back and another CB coming back from ACL we are now paper thin at CB. You need 3 deep just to compete. Unless you use the great Denny G plan and put a WR, TE, P whatever at CB. I've seen how that works.
Thought he got busted with a couple ounces? I didn't know he got busted at his house. I wonder what the NFL is going to do when it comes to Pot. I'ts kind of hard to do lot when they're legalizing it every where. They new he had issues with the reef so I kind of feel sorry for him. It's really no different than a some of the other substances people get addicted to. Hopefully he gets it figured out before it ruins him. It's going to take a big life style change. First thing he needs to do is stop hanging with people that are getting it for him. He needs some new friends. As far as Rhodes goes He needs to grow up and taker a leadership roll. He doesn't have to make speeches or be all ra ra but he needs to lead with his actions and play.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

WallytheVike wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:46 pm

No shock at all. In a house with a guy busted with illegal drugs. Probably failed a pot test and the NFL is being nice and calling it a PED which means anything. Once Thomas starts chirping to save his skin I suspect Hill is toast. Say bye bye. If Rhodes don't bounce back and another CB coming back from ACL we are now paper thin at CB. You need 3 deep just to compete. Unless you use the great Denny G plan and put a WR, TE, P whatever at CB. I've seen how that works.
Thought he got busted with a couple ounces? I didn't know he got busted at his house. I wonder what the NFL is going to do when it comes to Pot. I'ts kind of hard to do lot when they're legalizing it every where. They new he had issues with the reef so I kind of feel sorry for him. It's really no different than a some of the other substances people get addicted to. Hopefully he gets it figured out before it ruins him. It's going to take a big life style change. First thing he needs to do is stop hanging with people that are getting it for him. He needs some new friends. As far as Rhodes goes He needs to grow up and taker a leadership roll. He doesn't have to make speeches or be all ra ra but he needs to lead with his actions and play.
Only legal in 8 states, and not federally. The feds won't bust you for possession, but if you're growing it in a state where it's not legal, or if you're not licensed in a state where it is, they'll bust you. We're a ways from pot being legal in the NFL.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm They extended Thielen. I don't know how they will be able to pay all of these players. That's a lot of money going to about a third of the players on the team.
It's just a deferred payment. You can spread signing bonuses over the life of the contract so a player can get a big payday upfront but a lower cap hit, at least initially. But eventually you pay the piper. The Vikings have a lot of money tied up in a third of the team. This is good and bad. Good in that there's a strong nucleus of players to build around. Bad in that they're going to be highly reliant on draft picks to fill the holes. Having solid drafts is absolutely crucial going forward.

If Rick can have more drafts like 2015, the team will be in good shape. If he picks like 2016, especially those early picks, we'll be in a lot of trouble.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:36 am

It's just a deferred payment. You can spread signing bonuses over the life of the contract so a player can get a big payday upfront but a lower cap hit, at least initially. But eventually you pay the piper. The Vikings have a lot of money tied up in a third of the team. This is good and bad. Good in that there's a strong nucleus of players to build around. Bad in that they're going to be highly reliant on draft picks to fill the holes. Having solid drafts is absolutely crucial going forward.

If Rick can have more drafts like 2015, the team will be in good shape. If he picks like 2016, especially those early picks, we'll be in a lot of trouble.
I mean 2016 was a weaker draft for us. Although Alexander ended up being a good pick. The next two best picks we had I would almost say we’re both our 7ths which were Weatherly and Kearse. Both played well in spot duty this year. 2017 was pretty solid for not having a first. And I liked this past years draft class. I think Hughes will be a good player. O’Neill is a good player. And I think the sleeper to make a big jump this year that nobody is taking about is Holmes. Really we’ve only had one “bad draft” since Zim has been here and that’s 2016.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:36 am

I mean 2016 was a weaker draft for us. Although Alexander ended up being a good pick. The next two best picks we had I would almost say we’re both our 7ths which were Weatherly and Kearse. Both played well in spot duty this year. 2017 was pretty solid for not having a first. And I liked this past years draft class. I think Hughes will be a good player. O’Neill is a good player. And I think the sleeper to make a big jump this year that nobody is taking about is Holmes. Really we’ve only had one “bad draft” since Zim has been here and that’s 2016.
Weatherly and Kearse are decent backups, which for 7th rounders make them hits. Alexander has improved but the rest of the picks were misses. By far the weakest draft in the past few years. 2017 and 2018 remain to be seen, especially with Cook. No one doubts his ability, he fell because of ball security and durability concerns, and I think the jury is still out on both of those fronts.

More than Holmes, I'd like to see Jaleel Johnson take a step forward. He's another mid round pick pick that has been lost in the shuffle. We could really use him or Holmes stepping up.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Hill and Harris signed their Tenders
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

"Harris & Smith" rides again! :rock:

Vikings also signed a former Broncos WR.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:27 pm "Harris & Smith" rides again! :rock:

Yeah I’m really starting to love Harris. Great find by Spielman. Surprised he went undrafted. He was a big playmaker in college. Also, I see we’ve worked out safety Amani Hooker along with a few others at that position. Don’t be surprised if we look at safety sooner than later as well. Hooker is projected to go round 2. Harrison Smith is getting a little up there in age. Although we could wait a year or two if we wanted
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:27 pm "Harris & Smith" rides again! :rock:

Yeah I’m really starting to love Harris. Great find by Spielman. Surprised he went undrafted. He was a big playmaker in college. Also, I see we’ve worked out safety Amani Hooker along with a few others at that position. Don’t be surprised if we look at safety sooner than later as well. Hooker is projected to go round 2. Harrison Smith is getting a little up there in age. Although we could wait a year or two if we wanted
My buddy knows Anthony Harris well (he calls him "Ant" and it always takes me a while to figure out who he is talking about) but the guy is an awesome guy. I'm glad he's here, I'd like to see them give him a sendejo like deal soon..
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

Post by Cliff »

Keep track of 2019 moves here.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Our country should just legalize POT. But here's the thing employers could still test people as part of the employment process as they can do with booze or any other substance. Hill was undrafted because of his drug problem. We took the chance and should just cut him once the suspension is lifted. He broke his chance. They can't sit around and hope he has learned. Rhodes is a guy that earned the coin and then shut it down. I see only one choice. Take a massive pay cut or see ya. Same as we did with Griff. So we are down to Waynes, Alexander and then a bunch of ? marks. To be positive it could work out that Rhodes will be all world, Hughes will be fully healthy and much better and Hill will no longer get involved with POT. Otherwise we need some bodies. If your the GM what road do you take.
WallytheVike
Practice Squad

Post by WallytheVike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am

Our country should just legalize POT. But here's the thing employers could still test people as part of the employment process as they can do with booze or any other substance. Hill was undrafted because of his drug problem. We took the chance and should just cut him once the suspension is lifted. He broke his chance. They can't sit around and hope he has learned. Rhodes is a guy that earned the coin and then shut it down. I see only one choice. Take a massive pay cut or see ya. Same as we did with Griff. So we are down to Waynes, Alexander and then a bunch of ? marks. To be positive it could work out that Rhodes will be all world, Hughes will be fully healthy and much better and Hill will no longer get involved with POT. Otherwise we need some bodies. If your the GM what road do you take.
Whether its pot or alcohol it could fall under addiction/disease so I'd offer him some help if it's going to be that big of a deal. Personally I think it's possible to burn a little duwa and still be able to function as a normal citizen. I'm neither an advocate for or against reefer and I haven't smoked in years but I do remember it wasn't that big of a deal. Heck if he was in the NBA it wouldn't even be a question. As far as Rhodes goes I wouldn't get rid of him because the majority of the team laid down the last 2 games of the season. Rhodes is a shut down corner and one of our best players and we have to quit getting rid of our best players every time things don't go quite right. Some times the best trade is no trade at all and I'm fine with Rhodes. Also Hill is a talented corner probably just as good as Waynes. I think he's better than Hughes so we should give the young guy a little help ans see if he grows out of this smoking weed thing.