PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

Post by S197 »

PsyDanny wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm Can't get in the Chat. Internal Server Error. Any ideas?
Maybe different browser? There's about 8 people in there right now (Vikings pick)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm
PsyDanny wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm Can't get in the Chat. Internal Server Error. Any ideas?
Maybe different browser? There's about 8 people in there right now (Vikings pick)

Same issue happened to me tonight. On laptop and mobile.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm

Same issue happened to me tonight. On laptop and mobile.
I was able to post a few times but not much.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I had problem with the chat for about a minute, then it worked fine for an hour or 2.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 am
S197 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 pm

PFF's mock has him going before our pick. I think to Carolina. I don't think anyone thought Ragnow would be a 1st round pick last year and he went before our pick. I put Risner in the same category. Everyone talking about him and yet no one thinks he'll be drafted high.

I could be wrong, which would be great. Just a hunch.
That's a good point with Ragnow. I feel like Risner has cooled down a bit as of late. I honestly dont see him going before 18. I see him going in the first but not before 18. I read yesterday that Carolina and Houston are looking for a quality tackle and one if not both could end up trading up to draft one. Maybe OL goes quicker than we think. I will say that I am glad that we are more in the market for a guard than we are a tackle. Because tackle seems like a high priority for teams right now. I really think we take Ford or Fant at 18. I'm calling it.

Here is an updated list of who we have met with according to Walter Football:

Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State (COM)
Otaro Alaka, OLB, Texas A&M (WOR)
Calvin Anderson, OT, Texas (PRI)
Derrick Baity, CB, Kentucky (EW)
Cody Barton, OLB, Utah (EW)
Jackson Barton, OT, Utah (EW)
Andrew Beck^, FB/TE, Texas (EW, PRI)
Casey Bednarksi, K, Minnesota State (WOR)
Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)
Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota (LOC)
L.J. Collier, DE/3-4DE, TCU (PRI)
Ryan Connelly, OLB, Wisconsin (PRI)
Nate Davis, OT, Charlotte (PRI)
Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (PRI)
Noah Fant^, TE, Iowa (COM, PRI)
Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State (PRI)
Cody Ford^, OT/G, Oklahoma (COM, PRI)
Lamont Gaillard^, G, Georgia (EW, COM)
Luke Gifford, ILB, Nebraska (PRI)
Donnell Greene, OT, Minnesota (LOC)
Robbie Grimsley, S, North Dakota State (LOC)
Terrill Hanks^, OLB, New Mexico State (PRO, PRI)
Amani Hooker, S, Iowa (PRI)
Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State (PRI)
Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor (PRI)
Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston (PRI)
Michael Jordan, G/C, Ohio State (COM)
Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (COM)
Greg Little^, OT, Ole Miss (COM, PRI)
Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State (PRI)
Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas (COM)
Devine Ozigbo^, RB, Nebraska (EW, PRI)
Trey Pipkins^, OT, Sioux Falls (EW, PRI)
Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego State (EW)
Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State (COM)
Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (SR)
Jeffery Simmons, DT/3-4DE, Mississippi State (PRI)
Jeff Smith, WR, Boston College (PRI)
Bunchy Stallings, G, Kentucky (EW)
Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M (PRI)
Ty Summers, ILB, TCU (PRO)
Jordan Ta'amu, QB, Ole Miss (PRO)
Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
Derrek Thomas, CB, Baylor (PRO)
Olisaemeka Udoh, OT, Elon (EW)
John Ursua, WR, Hawaii (PRI)
Brian Wallace, OT, Arkansas (EW)
Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama (COM)

Now I've followed this over the years because it gives you a direct look at who the team has met with. I will say, it is fairly accurate and will show a few of the guys we will draft. The things you want to look for with these are the following:

PRI- private visit (top 30 visit)
WOR- private workout
COM- combine meeting
PRO- pro day meeting/workout
^- has met with team at more than one event.

If you look at the guys that have had multiple meeting with us, the first round prospects are Cody Ford, Noah Fant and Greg Little. This usually adds up to who we are targeting in the first round barring someone falling. For example, in 2013, Shariff Floyd wasnt even on this list (but he was also suppose to go top 5). But guys like Waynes, Teddy, Barr, Rhodes, Treadwell, etc. have been on it. Some with multiple meetings. This is what I use when doing my mocks (not always) because it gives me a better idea of who we are targeting, especially in later rounds. I use multiple different sources as well as my own opinion of need, contracts, etc in these mocks. But this is why I'm really leaning towards us drafting Ford or Fant. We have obviously shown serious interest in them. Granted we also met with Jonah Williams, Jeffery Simmons, Dalton Risner, Chris Lindstrom, Amani Hooker, Andre Dillard, LJ Collier and Johnathan Abram for first round prospects. It's just we've been on those other 3 a little harder. It at least shows us what direction they are leaning. Which seems to be OL or TE.
Hi my first post. No offense to your visit list I appreciate all the work that went into it. In the end we drafted one guy off that list Udoh and he went very late in the 6th round. Spielman said in an interview this year that the players we are most interested in he would rather not do visits with to tip off rivals to who we want. That could be due to tipping off rivals to our interest in Ragnow last year. This year Bradbury was our pick despite Ford, Fant, and Little all being available players that we had met with.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 pm
Round 5 (172nd) (via NYG)

DE- LJ Collier- TCU

Collier is a freak athlete that we've been all over during the draft process. This will give us depth along with Weatherly. Collier could be a future starter when Griffen is gone.

Round 6 (207th)

RB- Justice Hill- Oklahoma St.

Hill is a dynamic athlete that is very similar to Jerick McKinnon. Had a crazy SPARQ score just like McKinnon did. Will be an immediate backup to Cook.

Round 6 (211th)

WR- Myles Boykin- Notre Dame

Boykin is a big deep ball WR that we could use. He doesn't blow off the chart with speed but is very similar to Alshon Jeffery and can excel in the right system. I can see him ending up being our #3 WR.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
PHP I'm new here so Hi. I appreciate the incredible amount of work you put into this. I have made attempts at mocks that sometimes are ballpark and other times come from Left Field as they say. Your draft turned out to be highly optimistic compared to reality in the following ways. You had us getting Collier in the 5th actually drafted in the first. Boykin in the 6th drafted in the 3rd and Hill in the 6th drafted in the 4th. I think our actual draft turned out very well as we got Bradbury who I think was the top OL on our board, Smith who according to consensus was the third best TE, a very needed RB who seems like a good fit in Mattison, and Samia who could have easily gone in the 3rd in the 4th. Late round picks I loved are Watts in the 6th who looks just as good as Khalen Saunders in the third, and Mitchell who was insanely productive in the 7th who would have gone by at least the third if not for a reported BA. Time will tell how we did, but I'm feeling really good about it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 pm
Round 5 (172nd) (via NYG)

DE- LJ Collier- TCU

Collier is a freak athlete that we've been all over during the draft process. This will give us depth along with Weatherly. Collier could be a future starter when Griffen is gone.

Round 6 (207th)

RB- Justice Hill- Oklahoma St.

Hill is a dynamic athlete that is very similar to Jerick McKinnon. Had a crazy SPARQ score just like McKinnon did. Will be an immediate backup to Cook.

Round 6 (211th)

WR- Myles Boykin- Notre Dame

Boykin is a big deep ball WR that we could use. He doesn't blow off the chart with speed but is very similar to Alshon Jeffery and can excel in the right system. I can see him ending up being our #3 WR.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
PHP I'm new here so Hi. I appreciate the incredible amount of work you put into this. I have made attempts at mocks that sometimes are ballpark and other times come from Left Field as they say. Your draft turned out to be highly optimistic compared to reality in the following ways. You had us getting Collier in the 5th actually drafted in the first. Boykin in the 6th drafted in the 3rd and Hill in the 6th drafted in the 4th. I think our actual draft turned out very well as we got Bradbury who I think was the top OL on our board, Smith who according to consensus was the third best TE, a very needed RB who seems like a good fit in Mattison, and Samia who could have easily gone in the 3rd in the 4th. Late round picks I loved are Watts in the 6th who looks just as good as Khalen Saunders in the third, and Mitchell who was insanely productive in the 7th who would have gone by at least the third if not for a reported BA. Time will tell how we did, but I'm feeling really good about it.
Hey man glad you came aboard! As for those optimistic picks, initially when I did this mock in the beginning of April, these guys were projected mid to late rounders. Their stock didnt rise until closer to the draft. This has happened a lot over the years when I do these. I remember having us draft Shariff Floyd in the 2nd in 2013 and then he shot up draft boards just before the draft. Same goes for Dalton Risner. He was initially projected as a 6th-7th round pick in March-early April and went in the 2nd round. I mean I guess the good thing on my end is, some of the talent I'm focusing on and targeting is talent that NFL GMs are targeting high. I tend to think I know very little because this entire process is so hard to predict but I do follow it ridiculously close and I think it shows somewhat. Who knows lol. Appreciate the input man!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri