PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Carlson, Waynes, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith, Floyd, Lee, etc.) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

I will say, I do a lot of research on these guys and if you look at my previous mocks, many of the guys I have us selecting may not be making an impact for us but they are making a big impact elsewhere.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!

The Vikings finish 8-7-1 and receive the 18th pick in the 2019 NFL draft

2019 Vikings Free Agents/Cuts/Restructures

Cuts

RG- Mike Remmers

SS- Andrew Sendejo

Restructures

DE- Everson Griffen

Restricted Free Agents

SS- Anthony Harris

P- Matt Wile

FB- CJ Ham

OT- Rashod Hill

Unrestricted Free Agents

Re-Signed

LB- Anthony Barr

C/OG- Brett Jones

K- Dan Bailey

KR- Ameer Abdullah

WR- Aldrick Robinson (projected)

OG- Josh Kline

DT- Shamar Stephen

QB- Sean Mannion

OL- Dakota Dozier

SS- Derron Smith (AAF)

CB- Duke Thomas (AAF)

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 1st round pick (18th) to the Baltimore Ravens for their 1st round pick (22nd) and 4th round pick (124th)

Round 1 (22nd) (via Baltimore)

DT- Christian Wilkins- Clemson

Stud DT that would be an immediate plug and play at 3 tech for years to come. Does a great job penetrating and is lightning quick with his hands. He's nearly identical to Sheldon Richardson when it comes to his pass rushing. He causes way more disruption than his sack stats show.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (50th), 3rd round pick (82nd) and 4th round pick (124th) (via Baltimore) to the New England Patriots for their 1st round pick (32nd), 3rd round pick (102nd) and 6th round pick (207th)
(Seems like a lot but it's nearly dead even in value. We gained a 4th from trading down with our first pick. We are now sending that to New England. We are technically trading down with them in the 3rd and then gain a 6th. We lose our 2nd but are gaining a first and are able to get another player with a 5th year option. We still have a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Round 1 (32nd) (via New England)

OT/OG- Dalton Risner- Kansas St.

I don't know if Risner will be an immediate starter because I'm sure they will give Reiff his shot at RT but Reisner can play all over he line and start at just about any position. He will be a huge factor in rebuilding this OL.

Round 3 (102nd) (via New England)

C/OG- Michael Jordan- Ohio St.

Jordan excelled at center for Ohio St. this year. I think this will move Elflein to left guard where he was much better in college and Jordan will take over at center. He also has experience with Elflein and should mesh well.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 4th round pick (121st) to the New York Giants for their 4th round pick (133rd), 5th round pick (172nd)

Round 4 (133rd) (via NYG)

TE- Josh Oliver- San Jose St.

Oliver should end up being Rudy's successor. Reminds me a lot of Evan Engram of the Giants. He will sit behind Rudy this year but take over sooner than later.

Round 5 (172nd) (via NYG)

DE- LJ Collier- TCU

Collier is a freak athlete that we've been all over during the draft process. This will give us depth along with Weatherly. Collier could be a future starter when Griffen is gone.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 6th round pick (192nd) to the Kansas City Chiefs for their 6th round pick (203rd) and 6th round pick (216th)

Round 6 (203rd) (via KC)

LB- Khalil Hodge- Buffalo

-Hodge is a freak athlete that will probably get overlooked due to where he went to school. However, he is a strong tackler and recorded 154 tackles last year and provides depth. I can see him taking over at WLB and being used in run packages. My deep sleeper of this years draft.

Round 6 (207th)

RB- Justice Hill- Oklahoma St.

Hill is a dynamic athlete that is very similar to Jerick McKinnon. Had a crazy SPARQ score just like McKinnon did. Will be an immediate backup to Cook.

Round 6 (211th)

WR- Myles Boykin- Notre Dame

Boykin is a big deep ball WR that we could use. He doesn't blow off the chart with speed but is very similar to Alshon Jeffery and can excel in the right system. I can see him ending up being our #3 WR.

Round 6 (216th) (via KC)

DT- Trysten Hill- UCF

I don't know if Hill would last this long but I gave it a shot. He's a freak DT for a big guy. Numbers weren't great but his athleticism is something you can't teach.

Round 7 (249th)

CB- Saivion Smith- Alabama

Smith should have stayed another year at Bama and is a little raw but someone Zim can coach up and provides depth here for us especially with Holton Hill missing the first 4 games.

Round 7 (252nd)

OT- Paul Adams- Missouri

Adams stock has been quiet but he's a very durable offensive lineman starting 36 straight games. He will provide depth along the OL.

Projected 2019 Roster (have 57 here, figuring out the final 53 is tough)

Red is free agent signing, Green is rookie

OFFENSE-28

QB- Cousins/Sloter/Mannion
RB- Cook/Hill/Boone
FB- Ham
WR1a- Diggs/Robinson (projected re-sign)
WR1b- Thielen/Beebe
WR3- Boykin, Treadwell
TE- Rudolph/Oliver/Conklin/Morgan
LT- O'Neill/Adams
LG- Elflein/Dozier
C- Jordan/Jones
RG- Kline/Collins
RT- Reiff/Risner/Hill

DEFENSE-25

DE- Hunter/Weatherly
DE- Griffen/Collier
3 tech DT- Wilkins/Stephen/Holmes
1 tech DT- Joseph/Hill
SLB- Barr/Wilson
MLB- Kendricks/Brothers
WLB- Hodge/Gedeon
CB1- Rhodes/Hughes
CB2- Waynes/Hill
SCB- Alexander/S. Smith
FS- Smith/D. Smith
SS- Harris/Kearse

SPECIAL TEAMS-4
K- Bailey
P- Wile
LS- McDermott
KR- Abdullah
PR- Abdullah

OVERALL: I feel like we drastically improve as a team with this draft. We address a lot of needs but don't reach either. Spielman is able to pull of some trade downs to gather enough picks for a big trade up and still end up with 11 total draft picks. This OL is a huge improvement and have young drafted players all along it with ONeill, Elflein, Jordan, Risner and Adams. When Reiff is out of the picture, our only "aged" starter would be Kline. This is a perfect example of why I think we can pass on OL with our first pick. Guys like Jordan should be there in the 3rd and we can still land another good OL in the late first or 2nd.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Re: PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Good read! I wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome.
I'd draft possibly one more body for the O-line with one of the top 4 picks.
I took part in a mock "live" draft, last week and ended up with both Risner and Jordan. But i got Risner with our 2nd round pick, and Jordan with our 3rd (we weren't doing any trades). I'm stuck on Risner TBH. He looks to be starter calibre, with the added bonus of being extremely versatile. I wouldn't be upset if we took him with the 18th pick.
And i'm an Ohio State fan, so i was always going to be big on Jordan. Although he does look talented enough to plug straight in too.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

latest attempt:

18: R1P18
TE NOAH FANT
IOWA
50: R2P18
C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M
81: R3P17
S DARNELL SAVAGE
MARYLAND
120: R4P18
RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA STATE
190: R6P17
G DRU SAMIA
OKLAHOMA
209: R6P36
LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO
247: R7P33
OT TREY PIPKINS
SIOUX FALLS
250: R7P36
RB DEVINE OZIGBO
NEBRASKA
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

UKno1VIKING wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 am Good read! I wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome.
I took part in a mock "live" draft, last week and ended up with both Risner and Jordan. But i got Risner with our 2nd round pick, and Jordan with our 3rd (we weren't doing any trades). I'm stuck on Risner TBH. He looks to be starter calibre, with the added bonus of being extremely versatile. I wouldn't be upset if we took him with the 18th pick.
And i'm an Ohio State fan, so i was always going to be big on Jordan. Although he does look talented enough to plug straight in too.
Thanks man! With you being an OSU fan, who do you think was a better center when they were at OSU, Elflein or Jordan? And do you think Elflein would make a better guard than center? What about Jordan?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm latest attempt:

TE NOAH FANT
IOWA
C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M
S DARNELL SAVAGE
MARYLAND
RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA STATE
G DRU SAMIA
OKLAHOMA
LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO
OT TREY PIPKINS
SIOUX FALLS
RB DEVINE OZIGBO
NEBRASKA
Love the Hodge pick! Kid is a stud! Also like the late pick of Pipkins. I actually had us taking Fant with our first round trade down in this mock and then pulled it. I feel like if we did that and then followed it up with two OL, we would have too much of a top heavy offensive draft. Zim is going to want to get a D player in there somewhere. Good mock though!
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:08 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm latest attempt:

TE NOAH FANT
IOWA
C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M
S DARNELL SAVAGE
MARYLAND
RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA STATE
G DRU SAMIA
OKLAHOMA
LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO
OT TREY PIPKINS
SIOUX FALLS
RB DEVINE OZIGBO
NEBRASKA
Love the Hodge pick! Kid is a stud! Also like the late pick of Pipkins. I actually had us taking Fant with our first round trade down in this mock and then pulled it. I feel like if we did that and then followed it up with two OL, we would have too much of a top heavy offensive draft. Zim is going to want to get a D player in there somewhere. Good mock though!
To be honest with you, I think with where our cap sits, you can expect that to factor into the Vikings selections this year, as they make picks 'a year early' in order to prepare for the departure of guys they know they won't be able to keep. For that reason, I think Fant or Hockenson at 18 make a ton of sense, as they allow Rudolph to either be released immediately, or not re-signed next year. Same with a CB selection to replace Waynes next year. Or a S or DE selection to save money against having to re-sign Harris, Kearse, Weatherly, etc. Have to prepare that a lot of our in-house guys are going to walk due to cap constraints. Trying to replace those players now makes sense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Nice write-up. My guess is they go with Dillard and Fant (trade up in the 2nd). I think Risner is going to go way earlier than a lot of people are predicting. He's this year's Ragnow.

I'm really interested to see where Hockenson goes, I've seen him mocked all over the place from top 10 to after our pick.

It seems the Vikings could trade back and still find a solid pick on either side of the line. I just don't know who would trade up, maybe NE if Hock is there but that's a pretty far drop and uncharacteristic of them to trade that much draft capital.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:48 pm Nice write-up. My guess is they go with Dillard and Fant (trade up in the 2nd). I think Risner is going to go way earlier than a lot of people are predicting. He's this year's Ragnow.

I'm really interested to see where Hockenson goes, I've seen him mocked all over the place from top 10 to after our pick.

It seems the Vikings could trade back and still find a solid pick on either side of the line. I just don't know who would trade up, maybe NE if Hock is there but that's a pretty far drop and uncharacteristic of them to trade that much draft capital.
I like Dillard, but how do you see them utilizing the guys currently rostered if they add a 1st round OT?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
WallytheVike
Practice Squad

Post by WallytheVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 pm Image

I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Carlson, Waynes, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith, Floyd, Lee, etc.) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

I will say, I do a lot of research on these guys and if you look at my previous mocks, many of the guys I have us selecting may not be making an impact for us but they are making a big impact elsewhere.

Cuts

RG- Mike Remmers

SS- Andrew Sendejo

Restructures

DE- Everson Griffen

Restricted Free Agents

SS- Anthony Harris

P- Matt Wile

FB- CJ Ham

OT- Rashod Hill

Unrestricted Free Agents

Re-Signed

LB- Anthony Barr

C/OG- Brett Jones

K- Dan Bailey

KR- Ameer Abdullah

OG- Josh Kline

DT- Shamar Stephen

QB- Sean Mannion

OL- Dakota Dozier

SS- Derron Smith (AAF)

CB- Duke Thomas (AAF)

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 1st round pick (18th) to the Baltimore Ravens for their 1st round pick (22nd) and 4th round pick (124th)

Stud DT that would be an immediate plug and play at 3 tech for years to come. Does a great job penetrating and is lightning quick with his hands. He's nearly identical to Sheldon Richardson when it comes to his pass rushing. He causes way more disruption than his sack stats show.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (50th), 3rd round pick (82nd) and 4th round pick (124th) (via Baltimore) to the New England Patriots for their 1st round pick (32nd), 3rd round pick (102nd) and 6th round pick (207th)
(Seems like a lot but it's nearly dead even in value. We gained a 4th from trading down with our first pick. We are now sending that to New England. We are technically trading down with them in the 3rd and then gain a 6th. We lose our 2nd but are gaining a first and are able to get another player with a 5th year option. We still have a 3rd and 4th round pick.

I don't know if Risner will be an immediate starter because I'm sure they will give Reiff his shot at RT but Reisner can play all over he line and start at just about any position. He will be a huge factor in rebuilding this OL.

Jordan excelled at center for Ohio St. this year. I think this will move Elflein to left guard where he was much better in college and Jordan will take over at center. He also has experience with Elflein and should mesh well.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 4th round pick (121st) to the New York Giants for their 4th round pick (133rd), 5th round pick (172nd)

Oliver should end up being Rudy's successor. Reminds me a lot of Evan Engram of the Giants. He will sit behind Rudy this year but take over sooner than later.

DE- LJ Collier- TCU

Collier is a freak athlete that we've been all over during the draft process. This will give us depth along with Weatherly. Collier could be a future starter when Griffen is gone.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 6th round pick (192nd) to the Kansas City Chiefs for their 6th round pick (203rd) and 6th round pick (216th)

Round 6 (203rd) (via KC)

-Hodge is a freak athlete that will probably get overlooked due to where he went to school. However, he is a strong tackler and recorded 154 tackles last year and provides depth. I can see him taking over at WLB and being used in run packages. My deep sleeper of this years draft.

Round 6 (207th)

Hill is a dynamic athlete that is very similar to Jerick McKinnon. Had a crazy SPARQ score just like McKinnon did. Will be an immediate backup to Cook.

Round 6 (211th)

Boykin is a big deep ball WR that we could use. He doesn't blow off the chart with speed but is very similar to Alshon Jeffery and can excel in the right system. I can see him ending up being our #3 WR.

Round 6 (216th) (via KC)

DT- Trysten Hill- UCF

I don't know if Hill would last this long but I gave it a shot. He's a freak DT for a big guy. Numbers weren't great but his athleticism is something you can't teach.

Round 7 (249th)

Smith should have stayed another year at Bama and is a little raw but someone Zim can coach up and provides depth here for us especially with Holton Hill missing the first 4 games.

Round 7 (252nd)

OT- Paul Adams- Missouri

Adams stock has been quiet but he's a very durable offensive lineman starting 36 straight games. He will provide depth along the OL.

OFFENSE-28

RB- Cook/Hill/Boone
FB- Ham
WR1b- Thielen/Beebe
WR3- Boykin, Treadwell
LT- O'Neill/Adams
LG- Elflein/Dozier
C- Jordan/Jones
RG- Kline/Collins
RT- Reiff/Risner/Hill

DEFENSE-25

DE- Hunter/Weatherly
DE- Griffen/Collier
1 tech DT- Joseph/Hill
SLB- Barr/Wilson
MLB- Kendricks/Brothers
WLB- Hodge/Gedeon
CB1- Rhodes/Hughes
CB2- Waynes/Hill
SCB- Alexander/S. Smith
FS- Smith/D. Smith
SS- Harris/Kearse

SPECIAL TEAMS-4
K- Bailey
P- Wile
LS- McDermott
KR- Abdullah
PR- Abdullah

OVERALL: I feel like we drastically improve as a team with this draft. We address a lot of needs but don't reach either. Spielman is able to pull of some trade downs to gather enough picks for a big trade up and still end up with 11 total draft picks. This OL is a huge improvement and have young drafted players all along it with ONeill, Elflein, Jordan, Risner and Adams. When Reiff is out of the picture, our only "aged" starter would be Kline. This is a perfect example of why I think we can pass on OL with our first pick. Guys like Jordan should be there in the 3rd and we can still land another good OL in the late first or 2nd.

I know it would be nice to take a tight end or a wide receiver with our first pick but I'll say it again we need offensive line help. After looking at who we have it makes me believe it even more. I hope Rick makes a trade and picks up an extra draft pick or is able to move up in the first round to get who we want but not addressing the O Line would be a monumental mistake. I know there are guys who can help this team later on in the draft or in free agency but we need a can't miss O lineman. We've let this go far to long and they need to fix it. It will be interesting seeing how O'Neil does this year. Is he the steal of last years draft or did we make a mistake and over value him. If you ask me the jury is still out on that pick. When it comes to wide receivers we can always get one later in the draft because they're a dime a dozen. When it comes to tight ends and as bad as I'd like to take the Iowa kid I think we already have a couple good ones so unless he drops to us in the second round I wouldn't worry about it. It has to be O line first. In the past I'd always say take the best player available but since we've let the O line go we've painted ourselves in a corner. Treadwell was a wasted pick. He may end up working out but as of now it was a wasted pick. Skol!
WallytheVike
Practice Squad

Post by WallytheVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 pm Image

Cuts

RG- Mike Remmers

SS- Andrew Sendejo

Restructures

DE- Everson Griffen

Restricted Free Agents

SS- Anthony Harris

P- Matt Wile

FB- CJ Ham

OT- Rashod Hill

Unrestricted Free Agents

Re-Signed

LB- Anthony Barr

C/OG- Brett Jones

K- Dan Bailey

KR- Ameer Abdullah

OG- Josh Kline

DT- Shamar Stephen

QB- Sean Mannion

OL- Dakota Dozier

SS- Derron Smith (AAF)

CB- Duke Thomas (AAF)

-------TRADE-------

-------TRADE-------

-------TRADE-------

DE- LJ Collier- TCU

-------TRADE-------

Round 6 (203rd) (via KC)

Round 6 (207th)

Round 6 (211th)

Round 6 (216th) (via KC)

DT- Trysten Hill- UCF

Round 7 (249th)

Round 7 (252nd)

OT- Paul Adams- Missouri

OFFENSE-28

RB- Cook/Hill/Boone
FB- Ham
WR1b- Thielen/Beebe
WR3- Boykin, Treadwell
LT- O'Neill/Adams
LG- Elflein/Dozier
C- Jordan/Jones
RG- Kline/Collins
RT- Reiff/Risner/Hill

DEFENSE-25

DE- Hunter/Weatherly
DE- Griffen/Collier
1 tech DT- Joseph/Hill
SLB- Barr/Wilson
MLB- Kendricks/Brothers
WLB- Hodge/Gedeon
CB1- Rhodes/Hughes
CB2- Waynes/Hill
SCB- Alexander/S. Smith
FS- Smith/D. Smith
SS- Harris/Kearse

SPECIAL TEAMS-4
K- Bailey
P- Wile
LS- McDermott
KR- Abdullah
PR- Abdullah

I know it would be nice to take a tight end or a wide receiver with our first pick but I'll say it again we need offensive line help. After looking at who we have it makes me believe it even more. I hope Rick makes a trade and picks up an extra draft pick or is able to move up in the first round to get who we want but not addressing the O Line would be a monumental mistake. I know there are guys who can help this team later on in the draft or in free agency but we need a can't miss O lineman. We've let this go far to long and they need to fix it. It will be interesting seeing how O'Neil does this year. Is he the steal of last years draft or did we make a mistake and over value him. If you ask me the jury is still out on that pick. When it comes to wide receivers we can always get one later in the draft because they're a dime a dozen. When it comes to tight ends and as bad as I'd like to take the Iowa kid I think we already have a couple good ones so unless he drops to us in the second round I wouldn't worry about it. It has to be O line first. In the past I'd always say take the best player available but since we've let the O line go we've painted ourselves in a corner. Treadwell was a wasted pick. He may end up working out but as of now it was a wasted pick. Skol!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

@Wally, I don’t really think there is a “can’t miss” lineman in this draft. The difference between a Chris Lindstrom and Cody Ford are minimal. This is why I continue to say we don’t NEED to take OL in the first round. We can easily wait until the 2nd round and go with 2nd and 3rd round OL and still land two solid players. Just because you draft an OL in the first round doesn’t mean it’s anymore of a guarantee as an OL in the 2nd round. Especially with how this class fairs. There are going to be PLENTY of good offensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd round. Trust me when I say this. If we take BPA in round 1 and it’s not an offensive lineman, don’t panic.
-Chazz Palminteri
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:05 pm
UKno1VIKING wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 am Good read! I wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome.
Thanks man! With you being an OSU fan, who do you think was a better center when they were at OSU, Elflein or Jordan? And do you think Elflein would make a better guard than center? What about Jordan?
Elflein for sure. although TBH, before his senior year, he was great at guard too, before he was moved.
He must of been injured last year. From what we saw from Elflein through college and his rookie year, he is a much better player than that.
Jordan can play guard too though, although you'd probably like to slot the rookie in where he's most comfortable. So sliding Elflein across would be my choice.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

All of your later round picks sound exactly like guys Spielman will take if they are there. They all have high ceilings and could turn into impact players under the right circumstances.

I like the Wilkins pick in the 1st too. He might be gone by the time #18 comes around, but he's going to be a really good player.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:48 pm Nice write-up. My guess is they go with Dillard and Fant (trade up in the 2nd). I think Risner is going to go way earlier than a lot of people are predicting. He's this year's Ragnow.

I like Dillard, but how do you see them utilizing the guys currently rostered if they add a 1st round OT?
I think they would slide Reiff inside and down the road, replace Reiff altogether. Ideally with someone they draft.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:52 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm

I think they would slide Reiff inside and down the road, replace Reiff altogether. Ideally with someone they draft.
I think that’s exactly what would happen too
-Chazz Palminteri