Decision 2020: Fire, Extend or Wait Edition

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Decision 2020: Fire, Extend or Wait Edition

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:12 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm

You look at Rosen's numbers, and they read like a 3rd string QB. He had two games with a passer rating over 80, none over 90. It isn't even like he improved on the year and even struggled against a very bad Atlanta defense towards the end of the season. Even Ponder had games in his rookie season where he broke 100. I know their coaching and talent on offense weren't great, but playing that poorly for that many games is inexcusable.

They know what they have, and judging by the lack of interest for Rosen by other teams, so does the rest of the NFL.
He was a rookie on a terrible team. Look at Jared Goff his rookie year or Mitch Trubisky. Heck even Peyton Manning his rookie year. By no means am I saying Rosen will be good or bad. It’s just simply WAY too early to tell. It’s literally unheard of for a team to dump their first round QB after 1 year. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his rookie year. Double what Rosen threw. Granted he threw for over double the TDs but the point is, a rookie year is tough to judge when it comes to a QB.

Rosen had very little help. Talk about a team with a bad OL.....one of the best RBs in the game couldn’t go forward. That’s a team that TRULY couldn’t run block. That’s why I don’t buy when guys say our OL couldn’t run block this year. David Johnson averaged 3.6 YPC. Cook averaged an entire yard better per carry at 4.6 and got 130 less carries than Johnson did. Our OL COULD run block but our clueless OC didn’t give him the ball and ignored the run game. We werent great at run blocking by any means but we were good enough to have a top 15 run game or better. That’s why I always said nobody can sit there and tell me we CANT run the ball with cook and Murray. They are way too good of a tandem to just not produce. I would 100% guarantee that if cook got 260 carries last year like Johnson did, he’d be nowhere near 3.6 YPC.

Either way, giving up on Rosen now is way too premature IMO. You just wasted a lot of draft capital when you’re trying to rebuild on a QB and are throwing in the towel after 1 year? They are crazy not to trade down and stock up on picks. Just my two cents
The numbers don't mean anything without context, and we don't have the ability to weigh all the vast multitude of variables which make up the context effectively. Running for 4.6 yards doesn't mean the team could run block. That's simply a fallacy. Its safe to say that teams might have approached defense differently against a team who ran the ball significantly less than they would against a team who ran the ball significantly more. Teams might have loaded the box against a rookie QB who didn't show the ability to make them pay than they would against a veteran QB. Actually watching what is happening is infinitely more valuable than any dumb stats.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:12 am

He was a rookie on a terrible team. Look at Jared Goff his rookie year or Mitch Trubisky. Heck even Peyton Manning his rookie year. By no means am I saying Rosen will be good or bad. It’s just simply WAY too early to tell. It’s literally unheard of for a team to dump their first round QB after 1 year. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his rookie year. Double what Rosen threw. Granted he threw for over double the TDs but the point is, a rookie year is tough to judge when it comes to a QB.

Rosen had very little help. Talk about a team with a bad OL.....one of the best RBs in the game couldn’t go forward. That’s a team that TRULY couldn’t run block. That’s why I don’t buy when guys say our OL couldn’t run block this year. David Johnson averaged 3.6 YPC. Cook averaged an entire yard better per carry at 4.6 and got 130 less carries than Johnson did. Our OL COULD run block but our clueless OC didn’t give him the ball and ignored the run game. We werent great at run blocking by any means but we were good enough to have a top 15 run game or better. That’s why I always said nobody can sit there and tell me we CANT run the ball with cook and Murray. They are way too good of a tandem to just not produce. I would 100% guarantee that if cook got 260 carries last year like Johnson did, he’d be nowhere near 3.6 YPC.

Either way, giving up on Rosen now is way too premature IMO. You just wasted a lot of draft capital when you’re trying to rebuild on a QB and are throwing in the towel after 1 year? They are crazy not to trade down and stock up on picks. Just my two cents
The numbers don't mean anything without context, and we don't have the ability to weigh all the vast multitude of variables which make up the context effectively. Running for 4.6 yards doesn't mean the team could run block. That's simply a fallacy. Its safe to say that teams might have approached defense differently against a team who ran the ball significantly less than they would against a team who ran the ball significantly more. Teams might have loaded the box against a rookie QB who didn't show the ability to make them pay than they would against a veteran QB. Actually watching what is happening is infinitely more valuable than any dumb stats.
I'm not sure why they are considered "dumb stats". The numbers dont lie. Cook was averaging 12 carries a game and averaged 4.6 YPC. Last year before he went down he was averaging 4.8. We could run the ball but we REFUSED to. Sure, defense maybe played us differently at times. But regardless, when we ran the ball, we showed we could. Not great by any means, but much better than it was portrayed. And when Cook was out, Murray ran well. But he only broke 20 carries 1 time. Cook never did at all. When Stefanski took over, Cook averaged 5.1 YPC because he was actually getting volume outside of the last game vs. Chicago. Miami was bad against the run but Detroit was 10th in the NFL. And he was still averaging 4.6 against them and much higher if you count both Detroit games. The Patriots were 11th in rushing and he got 9 carries and averaging 8.9. This team was nowhere near a BAD run blocking team. If anything they were average. But when you ignore running the ball and give up after a couple 1 yard carries, it makes it look that much worse. Cook was getting nowhere against Detroit the first time but then boom, breaks off a 70 yarder. He's that good of a player that you have to stay committed to him and things like that will happen. Most RBs are like that. If they have 8 carries for 20 yards, you dont just give up on the run. That's exactly what Flip did and threw all the weight on Cousins shoulders. He could've have been further away from balancing that offense. There is no reason we couldnt have been top 15 in the NFL in rushing offense last year. I dont care who is on the offensive line.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm

You look at Rosen's numbers, and they read like a 3rd string QB. He had two games with a passer rating over 80, none over 90. It isn't even like he improved on the year and even struggled against a very bad Atlanta defense towards the end of the season. Even Ponder had games in his rookie season where he broke 100. I know their coaching and talent on offense weren't great, but playing that poorly for that many games is inexcusable.

They know what they have, and judging by the lack of interest for Rosen by other teams, so does the rest of the NFL.

If you look at game logs, you will see that Manning and Trubisky had at least a couple game where they showed they could be a competent QB. Goff only got 8 starts and never really found his groove, but he still had A game where he broke 100 in passer rating. Rosen was just bad from start to finish. Never flashed anything that resembled good NFL QB play(still looked better than Bradford though).

Even with that, I think it is too early to give up on Rosen as a fan, but as a GM and Coach who know so much more than any of us about what makes a good QB, it is not too early. They have a pretty good idea of what he was like in the locker room, his work ethic, and they know whether the horrible offense around him was the problem, or if the QB was.

The Broncos pretty much gave up on Paxton Lynch before he even started a game so walking away from a 1st rounder without giving them two seasons to figure things out is not unheard of.

At this point the draft picks given up to get him are a sunk costs. You can't get them back and they can't be the basis of what you do with Rosen going forward. Either he can be a franchise guy and you don't give up the 1st overall for Murray, or he is the next Christian Ponder and they need to walk away sooner rather than later.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 am

If you look at game logs, you will see that Manning and Trubisky had at least a couple game where they showed they could be a competent QB. Goff only got 8 starts and never really found his groove, but he still had A game where he broke 100 in passer rating. Rosen was just bad from start to finish. Never flashed anything that resembled good NFL QB play(still looked better than Bradford though).

Even with that, I think it is too early to give up on Rosen as a fan, but as a GM and Coach who know so much more than any of us about what makes a good QB, it is not too early. They have a pretty good idea of what he was like in the locker room, his work ethic, and they know whether the horrible offense around him was the problem, or if the QB was.

The Broncos pretty much gave up on Paxton Lynch before he even started a game so walking away from a 1st rounder without giving them two seasons to figure things out is not unheard of.

At this point the draft picks given up to get him are a sunk costs. You can't get them back and they can't be the basis of what you do with Rosen going forward. Either he can be a franchise guy and you don't give up the 1st overall for Murray, or he is the next Christian Ponder and they need to walk away sooner rather than later.
I get what you're saying in a sense but since Jared Goff had A good game with a QB rating over 100, that warrants him being kept? But since Rosen didnt, they should give up on him? That's a poor example. Yes GMs and coaches know much more than we do but it could also be because there is a new coach and he wants his own guys too. Similar to Gruden. As good as Mack is, he still traded him because he wants to do it his way. Dumb trade IMO, but thats how Gruden looked at it. Kingsbury could be doing the same thing. As for Paxton Lynch, he was at least on the team for 2 years. His problem was, he couldnt beat out Siemien or Osweiller. He was also the 32nd pick. Rosen was 10th. And yeah, to trade a 1st round QB after 1 year is 100% unheard of. Look at the biggest busts of all time, Russell, Ponder, Gabbert, Mirer, McNown, Couch, Akili Smith, I can keep going. They were all given at LEAST 2 years to prove something. Rosen has been given next to nothing. A rookie QB behind the worst offensive line in football and they are throwing in the towel and probably trading him. Yes that's way too premature if you ask me. You cant determine if he's the next Christian Ponder after 1 season behind an awful OL sorry.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:54 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 am

I get what you're saying in a sense but since Jared Goff had A good game with a QB rating over 100, that warrants him being kept? But since Rosen didnt, they should give up on him? That's a poor example. Yes GMs and coaches know much more than we do but it could also be because there is a new coach and he wants his own guys too. Similar to Gruden. As good as Mack is, he still traded him because he wants to do it his way. Dumb trade IMO, but thats how Gruden looked at it. Kingsbury could be doing the same thing. As for Paxton Lynch, he was at least on the team for 2 years. His problem was, he couldnt beat out Siemien or Osweiller. He was also the 32nd pick. Rosen was 10th. And yeah, to trade a 1st round QB after 1 year is 100% unheard of. Look at the biggest busts of all time, Russell, Ponder, Gabbert, Mirer, McNown, Couch, Akili Smith, I can keep going. They were all given at LEAST 2 years to prove something. Rosen has been given next to nothing. A rookie QB behind the worst offensive line in football and they are throwing in the towel and probably trading him. Yes that's way too premature if you ask me. You cant determine if he's the next Christian Ponder after 1 season behind an awful OL sorry.
You can't determine that. I can't determine that. AZ's GM and coaching staff can.

Teams do not get this wrong. They hold on to QBs for too long, like the ones you mentioned above, but they rarely give up on a guy too early. The only one I can think of recently is Brees, and the concerns with him were about his stature more than his ability to play QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:54 am

You can't determine that. I can't determine that. AZ's GM and coaching staff can.

Teams do not get this wrong. They hold on to QBs for too long, like the ones you mentioned above, but they rarely give up on a guy too early. The only one I can think of recently is Brees, and the concerns with him were about his stature more than his ability to play QB.
I'm aware their coaches can. Yeah my point is, they dont give up on QBs this early in the NFL. Arizona is IMO. I have no idea what Rosen will be like in the future but after 1 year? There are plenty of QBs over time that have had a bad rookie year. That doesnt necessarily mean they arent worth the shot. Bottom line is, Kingsbury wants his own guys in there by the sounds of it. However, I did see today they are not listening to offers for Rosen now. So maybe it is a smokescreen. Who knows. All I know is, if I was Arizona, I'd trade down 10 times out of 10. You can gain more picks and build for the future. That team is in the gutter and has a long way to go.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm aware their coaches can. Yeah my point is, they dont give up on QBs this early in the NFL. Arizona is IMO. I have no idea what Rosen will be like in the future but after 1 year? There are plenty of QBs over time that have had a bad rookie year. That doesnt necessarily mean they arent worth the shot. Bottom line is, Kingsbury wants his own guys in there by the sounds of it. However, I did see today they are not listening to offers for Rosen now. So maybe it is a smokescreen. Who knows. All I know is, if I was Arizona, I'd trade down 10 times out of 10. You can gain more picks and build for the future. That team is in the gutter and has a long way to go.
Lets put it this way, if they are willing to give up on him already, he is a really bad QB and a complete bust. If they stick it out for another season, he is probably still a really bad QB, but if I were a Cards fan I would give him a chance to prove himself.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:06 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Lets put it this way, if they are willing to give up on him already, he is a really bad QB and a complete bust. If they stick it out for another season, he is probably still a really bad QB, but if I were a Cards fan I would give him a chance to prove himself.
Just think, Troy Aikman's first-year stats were worse than Rosen's. I guess the Cowboys should have dumped him after one year. Personally, I'll laugh like hell if Rosen takes the Dolphins to the playoffs before the Cards go.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Raptorman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Just think, Troy Aikman's first-year stats were worse than Rosen's. I guess the Cowboys should have dumped him after one year. Personally, I'll laugh like hell if Rosen takes the Dolphins to the playoffs before the Cards go.
Yeah same here. Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his rookie year. That was tied for 8th all time. Just way too premature if you ask me
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:18 pm
Raptorman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 am

Yeah same here. Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his rookie year. That was tied for 8th all time. Just way too premature if you ask me
Lamar Jackson is a bum, because of rookie passing stats.

Josh Rosen isn't a a bum, despite worse rookie passing stats, his coaches and management giving up on him and no one willing to give up more than a late second for him. He is also currently losing the QB battle in Miami...to Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Josh Rosen isn't a a bum, despite worse rookie passing stats, his coaches and management giving up on him and no one willing to give up more than a late second for him. He is also currently losing the QB battle in Miami...to Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Lamar Jackson wasnt a good passer in college. He wasnt even completing over 60% of his passes at the college level. In any of his 3 years. I dont know how anyone thinks he would ever do that in the pros. He's just simply not an accurate passer. Never was, never will be.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Lamar Jackson wasnt a good passer in college. He wasnt even completing over 60% of his passes at the college level. In any of his 3 years. I dont know how anyone thinks he would ever do that in the pros. He's just simply not an accurate passer. Never was, never will be.
It certainly is a concern.

Lucky for the Packers they didn't feel the same about Favre.

Coming out of college Jackson just seemed like he might be a good fit for this team.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Coming out of college Jackson just seemed like he might be a good fit for this team.
How? A wildly inaccurate QB wasting the talent of our elite WR duo. Instead he’d be running all over the field and thielen and Diggs would combine for about 4 catches a game if they’re lucky. He was a horrible fit for this team if you ask me
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm

How? A wildly inaccurate QB wasting the talent of our elite WR duo. Instead he’d be running all over the field and thielen and Diggs would combine for about 4 catches a game if they’re lucky. He was a horrible fit for this team if you ask me
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 pm
I’m not a huge Jackson fan but I think he would fit well in this offense.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 pm
I’m not a huge Jackson fan but I think he would fit well in this offense.
Lol you really are turning into a manipulating troll and again, opinions change. But either way, send me that thread because I’m interested to see how that conversation went. Either way, Clearly I was wrong nor do I even remember saying that. I was saying that before he was drafted. Did you not watch him play last year? You’re trying to tell me he’s a good QB after seeing him play multiple nfl games. That’s the difference. But all you saw was his record so you think he’s a good QB.
-Chazz Palminteri