Anthony Barr/Sheldon Richardson...Good riddance!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Anthony Barr/Sheldon Richardson...Good riddance!!!

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 amBarr is around because Zimmer thinks he was very important to his defense. Which means he is very important to his defense.

You might think Wilson played just as well as Barr, clearly Zimmer doesn't think it is close, and Zimmer knows a thousand times more about defense than all of us combined.
Whoa, wait just a doggone minute.

Are you telling me the "Barr is crap ... everybody knows it" argument isn't valid?

Are you further telling me that Mike Zimmer knows more about defense than the experts on this board?

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
Yeah, lets just re-sign all defensive players because Zimmers knows best lol. One of Zimmers best qualities is training up young players, and Barr would have been easily replaced. I cant even remember any plays he made last year Wilson didnt make.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 am
Whoa, wait just a doggone minute.

Are you telling me the "Barr is crap ... everybody knows it" argument isn't valid?

Are you further telling me that Mike Zimmer knows more about defense than the experts on this board?

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
Yeah, lets just re-sign all defensive players because Zimmers knows best lol. One of Zimmers best qualities is training up young players, and Barr would have been easily replaced. I cant even remember any plays he made last year Wilson didnt make.
There is an awful lot of trust in Zimmer and his defense for a defense thst really has yet to shut a team down when it really mattered. I don't get the "well Zimmer thinks he's important so therefore he's important" argument, and I am one of Barr's biggest fans. I am happy he's here but that is a lot of money to pay that we really don't have right now.
I will be curious what happen s out of training camp and preseason.
Remember, they will have to pay Thielen at some point as well.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:36 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 am

There is an awful lot of trust in Zimmer and his defense for a defense thst really has yet to shut a team down when it really mattered. I don't get the "well Zimmer thinks he's important so therefore he's important" argument, and I am one of Barr's biggest fans. I am happy he's here but that is a lot of money to pay that we really don't have right now.
Why are you such a fan of his, other then his rookie season? Thats like being a fan of Kalil yet.

I think Zimmer has a great defensive mind, but hes not a good HC. He doesnt know what a good offense looks like, at least a SB offense. He would want to keep any of the players he coached up, that does not make them good players. If we hadnt overpaid for a QB, this wouldnt even matter, but right now we are in cap hell.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am

Why are you such a fan of his, other then his rookie season? Thats like being a fan of Kalil yet.

I think Zimmer has a great defensive mind, but hes not a good HC. He doesnt know what a good offense looks like, at least a SB offense. He would want to keep any of the players he coached up, that does not make them good players. If we hadnt overpaid for a QB, this wouldnt even matter, but right now we are in cap hell.
How are we in CAP hell? The CAP isn't stopping us. A lack of great FAs is hurting us. I don't see any great OL available. I guess there were/are some like this old Safford guy. And is he really that great? Zim and Rick have done as well as any post Grant coach we have had. And looking at 2018 maybe we just didn't get the breaks needed or stay healthy enough to win. I can get down on this team quickly and I thought we were a playoff lock before 2018 began. So did many. Now it's hard for me to judge. Are we a 500 roster team or are we better than that and things didn't break our way. But IMO getting Cousins was the right move. He's light years beyond what we had. Did it cost? Yup. QBs are expensive. Unless you're the great BB and the best ever plays for basically nothing. We won't get that break. Se we had to pay or go with a bum which really tells the rest of the team something.I know Thielen had some BS with him. Well maybe Thielen needs to blow the top off the house. Burn these CBs and S deep. Make DCs keep safties deep and CBs off the LOS.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 am

How are we in CAP hell? The CAP isn't stopping us. A lack of great FAs is hurting us. I don't see any great OL available. I guess there were/are some like this old Safford guy. And is he really that great? Zim and Rick have done as well as any post Grant coach we have had. And looking at 2018 maybe we just didn't get the breaks needed or stay healthy enough to win. I can get down on this team quickly and I thought we were a playoff lock before 2018 began. So did many. Now it's hard for me to judge. Are we a 500 roster team or are we better than that and things didn't break our way. But IMO getting Cousins was the right move. He's light years beyond what we had. Did it cost? Yup. QBs are expensive. Unless you're the great BB and the best ever plays for basically nothing. We won't get that break. Se we had to pay or go with a bum which really tells the rest of the team something.I know Thielen had some BS with him. Well maybe Thielen needs to blow the top off the house. Burn these CBs and S deep. Make DCs keep safties deep and CBs off the LOS.
If only there were FAs worth signing, like a Saffold for instance. Who needs that guy?

The team has no cap space, so it it is spending no cap. Seems pretty simple.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

When they let him play his strengths, he is a great LB. But when they make him cover WRs or RBs downfield, yeah he's going to suck.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:25 am
If only there were FAs worth signing, like a Saffold for instance. Who needs that guy?

If this G is so great he would have flew off the board in a heart beat. Was there a Cousins rush for this guy? Somethings up. His old team didn't want him for a reason. I know no CAP. The Saints are showing teams that the CAP don't matter. They spend whatever they need to. Perhaps there's a downside and I thought it was this year. But it's not. Maybe in 5 or 10 years?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:25 am

If this G is so great he would have flew off the board in a heart beat. Was there a Cousins rush for this guy? Somethings up. His old team didn't want him for a reason. I know no CAP. The Saints are showing teams that the CAP don't matter. They spend whatever they need to. Perhaps there's a downside and I thought it was this year. But it's not. Maybe in 5 or 10 years?
The Saints bottomed out because of cap issues and only got good again when they had a bunch of good players on rookie deals.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont understand half, if not more, of the posts you make.,because of a few reasons. Mainly, I think, its your writing style. I cant figure out what your trying to say. Its like you need to defrag your mind. And you really seem to contradict yourself, even within the same post. Im not saying this to be mean or spiteful, I just dont know what your point is.
Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am
The Saints bottomed out because of cap issues and only got good again when they had a bunch of good players on rookie deals.
Yep, thats what happens when you deal too much in FA's and overpay with some re-signs. But Rick SHOULD have made a few deals lately, like getting Zeliter from the Browns. Someone worth over paying.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 pm
I dont understand half, if not more, of the posts you make.,because of a few reasons. Mainly, I think, its your writing style. I cant figure out what your trying to say. Its like you need to defrag your mind. And you really seem to contradict yourself, even within the same post. Im not saying this to be mean or spiteful, I just dont know what your point is.
Nobody is mean on here. There are some good topics. Perhaps I am defrag. My expectations were probably too high for this season and now to me everything seems to be broken. It's not of course and we may still be close. But my point is I think Rick did a great job in getting Cousins. He isn't the best but there are many worse than him out there. He was the best on the table and we got him. Hope this was better.