Zeitler trade

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Zeitler trade

Post by YikesVikes »

Can't believe we didn't make this happen. I would have happilly given up a 2nd for him. Or a 4th and a player. I feel like these are the opportunities that Speilman sits on his hands. Cut Remmers and basically were getting him for about 4 million a year. He's a guard that has given up 7 sacks in 4 years. 11 total pressures last season.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Zeitler trade

Post by PurpleMustReign »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:17 pm Can't believe we didn't make this happen. I would have happilly given up a 2nd for him. Or a 4th and a player. I feel like these are the opportunities that Speilman sits on his hands. Cut Remmers and basically were getting him for about 4 million a year. He's a guard that has given up 7 sacks in 4 years. 11 total pressures last season.
I agree... I don't want to make moves just to make moves... But I feel like spielmans falls into the same trap so many other gms fall into... Not wanting to mortgage the future, whatever that means. They are too reluctant to make trades. It's too bad.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:17 pm Can't believe we didn't make this happen. I would have happilly given up a 2nd for him. Or a 4th and a player. I feel like these are the opportunities that Speilman sits on his hands. Cut Remmers and basically were getting him for about 4 million a year. He's a guard that has given up 7 sacks in 4 years. 11 total pressures last season.
I was ticked about this one too. I mean I’m sure there are salary implications that we don’t know about as well as us not knowing who the browns would want on this team and if they were expendable. But this is definitely a trade we should have made if it was possible
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Look at our GM, and it makes perfect sense we didnt land him. Rick has no concept of the value of a good Olineman. He wouldnt know one if he was slapped by one. He has the same problems with WRs and QBs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm
Look at our GM, and it makes perfect sense we didnt land him. Rick has no concept of the value of a good Olineman. He wouldnt know one if he was slapped by one. He has the same problems with WRs and QBs.
Pretty sure he brought Thielen and Diggs in....but I guess they don’t count
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 pm
I was ticked about this one too. I mean I’m sure there are salary implications that we don’t know about as well as us not knowing who the browns would want on this team and if they were expendable. But this is definitely a trade we should have made if it was possible
Picks are over valued. We're going to draft someone in the 3rd and be super happy with them. I would have given that up easily for Zeitler. I mean they switched 4ths and 5ths. A stand alone 3rd probably would have been enough.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

If this guy is so great why dump him for nothing or even dump him at all? Every team was probably after him I guess. There's more to it.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 am If this guy is so great why dump him for nothing or even dump him at all? Every team was probably after him I guess. There's more to it.
Why was Mack traded? Teams do stupid things.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 am If this guy is so great why dump him for nothing or even dump him at all? Every team was probably after him I guess. There's more to it.
No there’s not. He was a huge cap hit and the browns are loaded along the OL. So he was expendable. No different than us trading Trae Waynes. We would trade him due to cap hit and being rich at CB. Not because he isn’t a good player
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm
No there’s not. He was a huge cap hit and the browns are loaded along the OL. So he was expendable. No different than us trading Trae Waynes. We would trade him due to cap hit and being rich at CB. Not because he isn’t a good player
I don't think there was more to it but... the Browns aren't loaded on the front line. You have two guard spots. If they felt their rookie was that good. Move him to LG and bench/trade the other guy. As you point out often, there is a shortage of quality olinemen in the league. Seems stupid to move a top flight Guard in hopes that your 2nd year player is as good as he is. Take the bird in hand.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:59 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I don't think there was more to it but... the Browns aren't loaded on the front line. You have two guard spots. If they felt their rookie was that good. Move him to LG and bench/trade the other guy. As you point out often, there is a shortage of quality olinemen in the league. Seems stupid to move a top flight Guard in hopes that your 2nd year player is as good as he is. Take the bird in hand.
I mean they were the 2nd best OL behind Pitt this year according to PFF. Granted that’s not the end all be all but they were definitely legit. Zeitler was a big part of that. But I don’t think there was more to it. They needed a pass rusher and had enough on the OL to dump zeitlers salary
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

They didn't need a pass rusher. They already have two and could easily add one in the draft and free agency. They moved him because the Browns are idiots.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 am They didn't need a pass rusher. They already have two and could easily add one in the draft and free agency. They moved him because the Browns are idiots.
They have Garrett. I'm not sure who else you're referring to but they don't have another pass rusher. But yeah the Browns are idiots
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maybe Shurmur and the GM are doing things right. Now they have a couple of big time players and some young developmental guys. And the CAP can always be changed to meet the needs. As I've seen the Saints had no CAP but they keep signing guys and are probably still not done. What makes the OL difficult is many teams need players. Except the Browns of course but that team is nothing anyway. What I don't get is why didn't other teams go after this guy. Only the Giants had an interest. So how good is he really.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 am Maybe Shurmur and the GM are doing things right. Now they have a couple of big time players and some young developmental guys. And the CAP can always be changed to meet the needs. As I've seen the Saints had no CAP but they keep signing guys and are probably still not done. What makes the OL difficult is many teams need players. Except the Browns of course but that team is nothing anyway. What I don't get is why didn't other teams go after this guy. Only the Giants had an interest. So how good is he really.
He's not only really good, hes one of the best linemen in the entire NFL, and still has years left to play. He is like Hutchinson. The Gians now have a good owner and a great HC. I think Shumur will make a better HC from day one, then Zimmer is. Once Eli is gone, expect the Giants to be contenders for years to come. I wish the Vikings could say the same thing. Maybe Rick thinks Kubiak will make a good HC. But Im hoping Rick is gone before thats happens.