Official Combine Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Official Combine Thread

Post by YikesVikes »

I felt that we should have started one of these by now. As most of you know, the combine moves and drops a lot of players due to overreactions.

I plan to come back and do a day of winners and losers post each day.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by StumpHunter »

Kyler Murray is 5 10, not 5 9. That means he is still probably too short to play QB in the NFL, but an inch less too short. AZ talked to him, which is a bad sign for Josh Rosen.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm I felt that we should have started one of these by now. As most of you know, the combine moves and drops a lot of players due to overreactions.

So many good Guards/Centers in this draft. The top tackles will probably be gone by 18. Will the Vikings consider a 2nd tier Tackle or 1st tier guard as early as 18? Should be an interesting draft. LB, DT, TE, might all be needs which could be met at 18.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:42 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm I felt that we should have started one of these by now. As most of you know, the combine moves and drops a lot of players due to overreactions.

So many good Guards/Centers in this draft. The top tackles will probably be gone by 18. Will the Vikings consider a 2nd tier Tackle or 1st tier guard as early as 18? Should be an interesting draft. LB, DT, TE, might all be needs which could be met at 18.
I think there are a few elite guys out there. Bradbury, Ford, risner
are elite guys. After them, it drys up quick.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Hakeem Butler just ran a 4.49... not going to be there in the 2nd
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Jonah Williams, Eric McCoy, Lindstrom, and I think there is a deep 2nd tier as well, including Bates, Samia, Dieter, McGary.

I think all those guys can start in this league.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

6-3, 228-pound WR put up a 4.33. That is scary.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

Would love to get this guy. Heck, he could play TE in a pinch. Crazy fast, tall end zone threat, needs to work a bit on routes and catching the ball. Hes going to be a good blocking WR. I think he would make a perfect 3rd WR for us.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm

I wouldnt mind if Rick picked any of these guys, but Ford is the only one I'd take at 18. If BPA isnt available at 18, I expect Rick will do some trading.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

Would love to get this guy. Heck, he could play TE in a pinch. Crazy fast, tall end zone threat, needs to work a bit on routes and catching the ball. Hes going to be a good blocking WR. I think he would make a perfect 3rd WR for us.
I would like to have Butler in the 2nd.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

The guy is built like a super hero. Only knock is quickness. He was in the 3rd percentile in 20 yard and 3 cone.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I haven't seen film on him, but he sure looked good in the gauntlet drill. Caught everything with the hands easily, and away from the body. He also did 27 reps of 225, which is simply ridiculous for a WR. If he can learn how to get separation in the NFL, he'll be a monster.

Unfortunately for us, he's probably vaulted himself into a top-10 pick at this point.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm

I haven't seen film on him, but he sure looked good in the gauntlet drill. Caught everything with the hands easily, and away from the body. He also did 27 reps of 225, which is simply ridiculous for a WR. If he can learn how to get separation in the NFL, he'll be a monster.

Unfortunately for us, he's probably vaulted himself into a top-10 pick at this point.
His film is pretty impressive that’s for sure. No way he falls to 18 IMO.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

How about if Drew Lock is there. That needs to be the pick. One mock had him at 5 to Denver and another had him to the Skins at 15. How does a QB drop that much. Maybe the Giants take him. But most mocks I've seen have the Ohio ST guy going there. Drafttech has us taking Christian Wilkins with Ford at 23. So Ford will be there.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 pm How about if Drew Lock is there. That needs to be the pick. One mock had him at 5 to Denver and another had him to the Skins at 15. How does a QB drop that much. Maybe the Giants take him. But most mocks I've seen have the Ohio ST guy going there. Drafttech has us taking Christian Wilkins with Ford at 23. So Ford will be there.
I'll be curious to see what happens with QB this year. I know we usually see QBs vaulted up the board, but FA this year could be used by most of the QB needy teams to fill that need. Foles to Jacksonville, Teddy to Miami, etc all make sense. A lot of teams near the bottom have young QBs they recently drafted and so might not be in the market. If the Vikings have a QB they like at 18 I wonder if they'd do it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins