Vikings “actively” shopping Waynes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings “actively” shopping Waynes

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Vikings are shopping CB Trae Waynes. Waynes was the No. 11 overall pick in the 2015 draft but hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree and is headed into the final year of his rookie deal. The Vikings likely have no real plans of extending Waynes' contract despite him being a starter for them. If a team is willing to cough up a mid-round draft pick and take on Waynes' $9.069 million cap hit, then they may pull the trigger. Waynes' $9.069 million becomes guaranteed at the start of the new league year on March 13, so it's not out of the question he gets cut.

......well that’s depressing. And I disagree with Rotoworlds write up on him. I was hoping if any CB gets traded it wasn’t Waynes. The next few weeks will be interesting
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings “actively” shopping Waynes

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 pm CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Vikings are shopping CB Trae Waynes. Waynes was the No. 11 overall pick in the 2015 draft but hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree and is headed into the final year of his rookie deal. The Vikings likely have no real plans of extending Waynes' contract despite him being a starter for them. If a team is willing to cough up a mid-round draft pick and take on Waynes' $9.069 million cap hit, then they may pull the trigger. Waynes' $9.069 million becomes guaranteed at the start of the new league year on March 13, so it's not out of the question he gets cut.

......well that’s depressing. And I disagree with Rotoworlds write up on him. I was hoping if any CB gets traded it wasn’t Waynes. The next few weeks will be interesting
Don't you just love the "hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree" statement? Or the incredibly speculative "Vikings likely have no real plans of extending Waynes' contract" comment? What bunch of uneducated drivel.

The team may be shopping him, but I seriously doubt they're sour on him. We've only got $10 million in cap space, and Waynes has been a known potential cap casualty. But if he's gone, that's precisely the reason why -- the need for cap space, and our horrendous situation with the offensive line.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 pm CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Vikings are shopping CB Trae Waynes. Waynes was the No. 11 overall pick in the 2015 draft but hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree and is headed into the final year of his rookie deal. The Vikings likely have no real plans of extending Waynes' contract despite him being a starter for them. If a team is willing to cough up a mid-round draft pick and take on Waynes' $9.069 million cap hit, then they may pull the trigger. Waynes' $9.069 million becomes guaranteed at the start of the new league year on March 13, so it's not out of the question he gets cut.

Don't you just love the "hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree" statement? Or the incredibly speculative "Vikings likely have no real plans of extending Waynes' contract" comment? What bunch of uneducated drivel.

The team may be shopping him, but I seriously doubt they're sour on him. We've only got $10 million in cap space, and Waynes has been a known potential cap casualty. But if he's gone, that's precisely the reason why -- the need for cap space, and our horrendous situation with the offensive line.
The Vikings are very rich at CB. I like them all. I'll be totally honest, I'd rather see them shop Rhodes. He makes way more and they could almost certainly get much more for him. With that said, I'm not sure we have a real shut down CB on our roster outside of him. Then again with the rules nowadays maybe that doesn't matter.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 am

The Vikings are very rich at CB. I like them all. I'll be totally honest, I'd rather see them shop Rhodes. He makes way more and they could almost certainly get much more for him. With that said, I'm not sure we have a real shut down CB on our roster outside of him. Then again with the rules nowadays maybe that doesn't matter.
You bring up a good point with the rules of today's game. Maybe there will never be another shut down CB again. So they basically become worthless. But Waynes has shown improvement there is little doubt about that. I'd rather keep Waynes and send Rhodes off. Don't get me wrong. Rhodes is/was a great player. If that's still true is the big question. But he has peaked you know what you have. At his age the arrow isn't pointing up. Another question is Hughes. Will he be ready to go day one? Here is what I found about ACL tears.
"Dr James Andrews, indicates that 72% of NFL defensive players return to play at least one game after an ACL injury. But behind that relatively optimistic stat, the news isn’t good for those players on the margins. Average NFL players that tore an ACL saw their performance drop to below average. In time, performance might very well return to normal, but since the NFL is a produce-now league, those players often never return to play or last only for a short period of time before getting cut or released."

It's not career ending anymore but it's not a given that the player will be back to what he was. That's another big question mark for us. So being very rich is relative. Rhodes at his age could be the one getting cut or traded. And it's tough to say Hughes will be back to what he was. Which was an unproven rookie who did show nice potential. Will he get to his potential this year. That's a perfect outcome. How often does that happen and is it a good idea to assume it will. If you remove Waynes and Hughes we are all the sudden very thin. Rhodes, Alexander, and Hill will be top 3 with zero depth. This could happen also.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

I think everyone agrees that Rhodes has some worrying characteristics. I.e when he gets torched he gets a niggly injury. As if he's looking to give a reason as to why he was outplayed. I noticed this a couple of times, thought nothing of it. Until the Saints playoff game, when he got torched by Mickey Thomas, and conveniently went down, then the alarm bells started to ring. Every time he's picked up a strain/pull, it always seems its when he gets beat. And that worries me.
Rhodes back to his best, you'd take hands down. But right now, the future of our CB core is Waynes for me.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Exactly. And I HIGHLY doubt they just cut him outright. That doesnt even make sense. They clearly have no clue that he was a very solid CB and possibly our best CB this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 am

I agree I've said before I'd rather them shop Rhodes than Waynes too. I believe Waynes could be a shutdown guy. I mean to be honest, outside of the Rams game did any WR do much damage on him at all? Not that I can recall.

Either way, if this is true, there are a lot of teams out there that could use CB help so I would think we wouldnt struggle to find someone to trade for him. His age helps too. He's only 26. But teams like Indy, Oakland, 49ers, Cardinals, Giants, I can keep going. But a team like Oakland or Indy that have a late first round pick, wouldnt it be nice to trade a team like Oakland Waynes and our 2nd for their 1st. Unrealistic but I can dream
-Chazz Palminteri
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

If one had to go, I personally would rather keep Wayne's and move on from Rhodes. I agree with many others here about the way he always comes up with some injury whenever he gets burned and gives up a big play.
I also am bothered by the amount of times he's penalized. Like the great Lombardi said.. grab , grab, grab. I know Wayne's used to be called alot for it also, but seems like he has corrected that.
I think Waynes is better than given credit for. He has improved alot in coverage, and is a very solid tackler. I like the guy alot . Early on in his career I could understand some of the criticism but I think he has turned into a very solid and reliable DB.
On the other side I see the exact opposite in Rhodes. He seems to be regressing in production, and as stated, seems to have nagging injuries alot. Maybe he wasn't truly healthy all season and that affected his play, but I remember many times just shaking my head thinking man what has happened to him.
For me it was aggravating to see him get burned, get up limping off the field, or holding some body part that was "injured", then the camera would show him on the sidelines walking around smiling and laughing. As someone stated, making an excuse for his mistake.
I'm hoping Waynes will still be on th he roster next yr.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Hughes and Hill are one of the reasons why they are shopping Waynes. They both seem to have potential at a cheaper price.
Waynes is one heck of tackler and that skill will be missed more than his coverage skills.
He could never get his head around, a lot of the time he just face guarded.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 pm Hughes and Hill are one of the reasons why they are shopping Waynes. They both seem to have potential at a cheaper price.
Waynes is one heck of tackler and that skill will be missed more than his coverage skills.
That is where I saw the biggest drop-off from Hill to Waynes. Hill really needs to work on his tackling, but I assume he will be the #4 with Hughes coming back.
halfgiz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 pm He could never get his head around, a lot of the time he just face guarded.
That play in LA where he is tracking the ball, has a play on it, and instead of contesting Kupp for the pass, he turns his head and face guards Kupp. It was the exact opposite of what a CB should do and was by far the worst play I have ever seen out of Waynes.

He was very solid outside of that game though.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 pm Hughes and Hill are one of the reasons why they are shopping Waynes. They both seem to have potential at a cheaper price.
Yes. Waynes was surprisingly good in run support. I never thought he was great in coverage. He never played confidently or assertively, but I hope the rest of the league thinks more of him than I do and we can get at least a 2nd for him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm
Yes. Waynes was surprisingly good in run support. I never thought he was great in coverage. He never played confidently or assertively, but I hope the rest of the league thinks more of him than I do and we can get at least a 2nd for him.
He isnt great in coverage, but hes good enough. And he is excellent run support, the best run defense CB out there. Far better then Rhodes. But if we do trade him, I have no doubt Zimmer can coach up Hill or Hughes to take his place.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

You're right IMO about Hughes and Hill. However most are missing the fact that Hughes suffered a terrible injury. If he is back and at prior form that would be unbelievable based on the ACL history. The more realistic outcome is this year will be a recovery time. 2020 will be the year to expect him back at full speed. If he even regains that. It's just the way it is based on history. I hope he is back day 1 and better. But that is more than wishful thinking. I read the guy didn't even walk until after 3 weeks. That's just walking. He needs to move at a pro level to help us. That's a long way from walking. And not all ACL injuries are the same. Cook came back quickly. But that's not always the case.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

I think it's pretty much all speculative at this point. Not saying it can't happen, but Zimmer was extremely high on the kid, and it would shock me if he has given up on him.

With that said, Trae is also the #2 CB on the roster. He is ahead of Mac Alxeander, and Hill has potential to be great. Hughes coming back from injury leads me to not knowing what to expect. Therefore, given up on or trading Wayne's with all the uncertainty doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Unless their forced to let him go as a cap casualty- would have to factor in him departing.

Definitely 1 of the many offseason talkers. Should be interesting to see if the Vikings sit on their hands or make bold moves in a lot of areas on both sides of the ball.

:popcorn:
Boomer Sooner
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

He hasn't lived up to his pedigree. He was the 11th overall pick and has been good the past two seasons, but not 11th overall good. Bad value for that spot. Same with Barr at 9.