Yikes Vikes 1st On the Clock Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Yikes Vikes 1st On the Clock Draft

Post by fiestavike »

StpViking wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm Well since hopefully the Vikings front office will be concentrating on the OL this offseason. Let's have a discuss on the consensus top 5 OL in the draft this year.

1. Jonah Williams (Alabama):

Probably the most polish of this years class. Ready to start immediately. Good technician. Mirrors DL really well. IMO probably best suited for LT, short but makes up for it with good punch and light feet.

2. Cody Ford (OK):

Best guard of these 5 guys. Heavy hands, Great punch at initial contact with DL. Too slow to set the edge.

3. Jawaan Taylor (FL):

Most overrated. Another big body like Phil Loadholt. Good against the run, but lining up against K Mack, he'll get eaten alive.

4. Greg Little (Ole Miss):

Another horrible (P) word player. Potential. Most athletic of the bunch. Also needs the most work. Given the right coaching, might turn out the be the best of the bunch.

5. Andre Dillard (WA St):

Rounded OL. Nothing really stand out about him. Might be able to squeeze a couple of years out of him. Probably let go after rookie contract expires. Pac12 guy, hard to trust them after Matt Khalil debacle.

Williams and Ford are the 2 guys I'm hold my breath for at 19.
Williams is a maybe at T. Very likely he'll become a Guard. Little is certainly not the most athletic of the bunch. Dillard and Taylor far more athletic and are the top Tackle prospects. Little is a gamble I don't want, and Ford and Williams are probably Guards.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:51 am BPA by Rick's board is the way to go. I don't see a top flight OL slipping to 18. Many teams have OL problems. But we have many holes on offense. Yes the OL sucks. But we don't have a 3rd WR. We have two good starters no doubt. But who is number 3? I can't even think of him. I wouldn't over look TE either. We need some O play makers. Not sure if a guy like that slips to 18. This Metcalf guy has unbelievable physical skills but is he a great BALL athlete or route runner. If he is he won't be there either. So I hope they go BPA regardless of position. If not it's a reach for greater need. Even a DL either end or tackle would work.
We will have plenty of options at OL, DL and LB when it’s our pick.
TE might be on the list too, especially depending on what happens with Rudolph. I agree OL, LB and possibly DL are the most likely positions to be addressed in RD1.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YOUR PICKS

1: R1P18
OT ANDRE DILLARD
WASHINGTON STATE
2: R2P18
C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M
3: R3P17
LB VOSEAN JOSEPH
FLORIDA
4: R4P18
RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA STATE
5: R6P17
G DRU SAMIA
OKLAHOMA
6: R6P36
LB SIONE TAKITAKI
BYU
7: R7P33
RB JORDAN SCARLETT
FLORIDA
8: R7P36
LB BLAKE CASHMAN
MINNESOTA

I'd take this. DT is a weak spot this year. I have to wonder if they'll find a way to keep Richardson.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

They have 8 rounds this year?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:35 am They have 8 rounds this year?
lol no it's just his 8th pick. The round is next to each number. I'm guessing he made trades to gain more or less picks.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:42 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:35 am They have 8 rounds this year?
lol no it's just his 8th pick. The round is next to each number. I'm guessing he made trades to gain more or less picks.
OH I see. The dang codes you kids use nowadays... 😁
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

StpViking wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm Well since hopefully the Vikings front office will be concentrating on the OL this offseason. Let's have a discuss on the consensus top 5 OL in the draft this year.

Probably the most polish of this years class. Ready to start immediately. Good technician. Mirrors DL really well. IMO probably best suited for LT, short but makes up for it with good punch and light feet.

2. Cody Ford (OK):

Best guard of these 5 guys. Heavy hands, Great punch at initial contact with DL. Too slow to set the edge.

3. Jawaan Taylor (FL):

Most overrated. Another big body like Phil Loadholt. Good against the run, but lining up against K Mack, he'll get eaten alive.

Another horrible (P) word player. Potential. Most athletic of the bunch. Also needs the most work. Given the right coaching, might turn out the be the best of the bunch.

Rounded OL. Nothing really stand out about him. Might be able to squeeze a couple of years out of him. Probably let go after rookie contract expires. Pac12 guy, hard to trust them after Matt Khalil debacle.

Williams and Ford are the 2 guys I'm hold my breath for at 19.
I disagree with most of your assessments.
Jonah is a technician and is probably the most seasoned of the bunch. He moves well but his strength is in his hand placement. Never really see his elbows high or arms on the outside. He keeps his elbows down and he delivers a very good punch. He has a high basement and a decent ceiling. He won’t be a bust but he might never be an all pro. Chances are he is the first guy gone.
2. Cody Ford (OK):
Cody has been pegged as a mauler, but he is more than that. I believe that he does have the movement speed to play tackle. He has a solid kick step. His hand placement is a clear notch below Williams but it isn’t horrible. His best trait is he blocks to the whistle. He doesnt quit and he looks for work. His weakness to me is his patience getting to the 2nd level. He moves in position very well but I saw him landing a solid 2nd level block when he connected. However, I saw a few plays where he whiffed or the LB/S ran around him (didn’t make the play). With that said, He could be an all pro guard or a great tackle.
3. Jawaan Taylor (FL):
I slightly agree on him being overrated. He’s a decent athlete but he plays too high sometimes. I think Mack might get him because of that but…who doesn’t Mack give trouble to. Big body mover. He will need some work but he isn’t a .
Greg Little is not the most athletic of the bunch. He is the most overrated guy on this list. Lazy, Lazy Lazy! He doesn’t finish blocks, he gives up half way through plays and he has no adjustment for a counter inside move. I would take him in the late 2nd but not a pick before 55 or so. Huge bust potential.
He’s not rounded. He’s the best athlete of the group. Problem is, he is not good at run blocking. Selecting him, may solve pass rush woes but if you can’t create holes in the run game, you will become one dimensional like we did this year. Eventually, the pass rush will suffer.

You also forgot 2 guys that could fix our oline problems.
Lindstrom – BC
My fear for him was that he wasn’t athletic enough to play at a high level in the pros. He shut me up with a 4.91 He has great technical skills, hand placement and can anchor against 3 techs and 0s. His assortment of moves is impressive. He sometimes gives ground off the snap and other times he hit with a quick punch at the snap. I play NT now and a guy like that drives you crazy.
Bradbuy – NC-State
Combine confirmed what everyone knew, this guy was fast and he had good functional strength. Was hoping he would go in the 2nd, but that is long gone. He is going to have a Frank Ragnor type selection. SMH.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

For me, Ford or Lindstrom make sense at #18. The other guys I'd take a pass on and look to address OL in the 2nd or even in the 3rd.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm For me, Ford or Lindstrom make sense at #18. The other guys I'd take a pass on and look to address OL in the 2nd or even in the 3rd.
Bradbury, Williams and Taylor could be added to that list. Even after that it depends on who is there at 18. I expect a run on OL at the end and start of round 2, just like last year. Viking will be left holding the bag again if they aren't careful.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I feel like Vikes will have a shot at a decent lineman in the 2nd round or Butler. I am a stan for Butler.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I don't think Ford or Bradbury will be there at 18
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I don't think Ford or Bradbury will be there at 18
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Husker Vike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm I don't think Ford or Bradbury will be there at 18
Idk if ford will but I think Bradbury will. If somehow both of them went, were going to have some good tackles falling to us.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm
Husker Vike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm I don't think Ford or Bradbury will be there at 18
Idk if ford will but I think Bradbury will. If somehow both of them went, were going to have some good tackles falling to us.
My concern are the packers having 2 1st rounders. Thats a lot of talent to add, if they do it properly. A chance they land Sweat and Metcalf.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The first 4 rounds of this one are too good to be true.

YOUR PICKS
1: R1P18
DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
2: R2P18
LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN
3: R3P17
C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M
4: R4P18
OT KALEB MCGARY