So here is my problem with the Vikings offense of 2018

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

So here is my problem with the Vikings offense of 2018

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Obviously, my favorite team is the Minnesota Vikings, but I watch other teams across the league as well and especially what they do on offense. Look at the final four teams that are left in the playoffs: Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Los Angeles Rams and the New Orleans Saints. As you look at that list the Vikings played three of the four teams this year and all three teams beat the Vikings. So what is it that they are doing on offense that the Vikings could copy cat and use in our offense going forward for next year?

First, each of these four teams have outstanding offensive lines and I would say probably out of the four that the Saints have the best line. So priority number one for the Vikings if they have to fix the offensive line. In saying that I would say based on the way they played last year that Remmers and Compton need to be gone. I do not even want them as back ups. Remember, the Vikings lost Aviante Collins and Nick Easton in the preseason so nobody really knows what the line would have looked like if they would have been able to play. Second, we have to look at the first and second rounds to add offensive lineman. This unit of the team needs to get younger and more athletic than what the Vikings currently have on their roster.

Second, if you look at the teams left in the playoffs they always have second and third options if the offensive play called breaks down or the defense has it covered. Looking back at the Vikings offense last year, when teams started to double #19 or #14, Cousins looked lost and did not know where to go with the ball. We all know he cannot run, so if he has to run to get away from the rush he is toast. The teams left still playing always seem to be one step ahead of the defense and that is what the Vikings have got to figure out and to do the same thing.

Third, since the Vikings just brought on Gary Kubiak a proven offensive coordinator in this league why doesn't Zimmer just let him be the offensive coordinator? Stefanski looked okay against the Dolphins and Lions, but was very predictable against a playoff caliber defense in the Bears. Remember, in the game against the Lions in the first quarter they had a total of five yards....against the Lions. The Vikings have the pieces in place already on offense in the building (I would like to see a more productive #3 WR), they just need to figure out to distribute the ball like the four teams that will be playing on Sunday.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: So here is my problem with the Vikings offense of 2018

Post by fiestavike »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am Obviously, my favorite team is the Minnesota Vikings, but I watch other teams across the league as well and especially what they do on offense. Look at the final four teams that are left in the playoffs: Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Los Angeles Rams and the New Orleans Saints. As you look at that list the Vikings played three of the four teams this year and all three teams beat the Vikings. So what is it that they are doing on offense that the Vikings could copy cat and use in our offense going forward for next year?

First, each of these four teams have outstanding offensive lines and I would say probably out of the four that the Saints have the best line. So priority number one for the Vikings if they have to fix the offensive line. In saying that I would say based on the way they played last year that Remmers and Compton need to be gone. I do not even want them as back ups. Remember, the Vikings lost Aviante Collins and Nick Easton in the preseason so nobody really knows what the line would have looked like if they would have been able to play. Second, we have to look at the first and second rounds to add offensive lineman. This unit of the team needs to get younger and more athletic than what the Vikings currently have on their roster.

Second, if you look at the teams left in the playoffs they always have second and third options if the offensive play called breaks down or the defense has it covered. Looking back at the Vikings offense last year, when teams started to double #19 or #14, Cousins looked lost and did not know where to go with the ball. We all know he cannot run, so if he has to run to get away from the rush he is toast. The teams left still playing always seem to be one step ahead of the defense and that is what the Vikings have got to figure out and to do the same thing.

Third, since the Vikings just brought on Gary Kubiak a proven offensive coordinator in this league why doesn't Zimmer just let him be the offensive coordinator? Stefanski looked okay against the Dolphins and Lions, but was very predictable against a playoff caliber defense in the Bears. Remember, in the game against the Lions in the first quarter they had a total of five yards....against the Lions. The Vikings have the pieces in place already on offense in the building (I would like to see a more productive #3 WR), they just need to figure out to distribute the ball like the four teams that will be playing on Sunday.
There seem to be a good number of interior OL prospects in this draft. The Vikings should be able to select two immediate impact guards with their 1st and 2nd picks (though, who thinks they will?). I would keep Remmers as the backup tackle and for heavy sets, because he is a better option than Rashod Hill (who will possibly cost more to bring back anyway). Otherwise, the cupboard is bare should Reiff or O'Neill go down.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: So here is my problem with the Vikings offense of 2018

Post by CharVike »

First off two rookie guards wont start. If one does it would be a really great draft. Thing is it takes a few years before picks are ready to play at there best level. O'neil played but wasn't great. Maybe OK like what we already had.Two games screwed us this year the Bills and first Packer game. The Bill game was a coaching break down along with the Griff stuff. The first Packer game was lost by a rookie FG kicker. I know most think Kirk is garbage but he was the best available. Did it cost CAP yes it did. Denver paid a backup, Case K, big bucks and how did that turn out? 49ers paid big bucks how did that turn out? Kirk was much better than both. Anyone with half a brain knew we weren't getting the next Rodgers with Kirk. There is only one of those. All the experts stated that the Colts had a great OL and to me they looked worse than ours in the playoffs I didn't see much of a difference. So I'm not sure how the media. PFF, comes up with there grades. IMO us and the Colts are even. Best cure for our offense is a D that gets TOs. We don't do that. Our D gets spanked against the top teams. Can't stop them at all. Bears got Mack and bingo there D stepped up. But he's a great player. We lack that difference maker. So people saying OL and nothing else makes no sense. We need a guy that picks off passes and a stud pass rusher and someone to play DT. Joseph is washed up and Sheldon will get to much cap and he isn't worth it. Once paid he will lay down. Boxing yourself into one position is stupid. So pass on the next Rodgers type for a G that will take time if at all to play well.