Antonio Brown a Viking? (Hypothetical)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Antonio Brown a Viking? (Hypothetical)

Post by Purplepain2018 »

What do you think the prospect of the Vikings acquiring Antonio Brown from the Steelers? It sounds like the Steelers maybe willing to trade Antonio Brown in the offseason and the Vikings need another reliable and dangerous wide receiver. The Vikings know what they have in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. If Antonio Brown is added to this roster with Dalvin Cook at running back and Kyle Rudolph at tight end that is a very potent and dangerous offensive unit. Who would a defense double team like they were in the last half of the season? A defense could not double team Thielen and leave Diggs and Brown open...

Now I know this trade will probably not happen, but can you imagine how dangerous the Vikings offense would be with Diggs, Thielen and Brown...
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Antonio Brown a Viking?

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Great talent, but I don't think I would want anything to do with him. I listened to former teammates talk about his antics this weekend and the way he acted on social media, I think he would be a huge disruptive force in the locker room. Would love his talent but not what he brings with it. Just my opinion.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
S197
Fenrir

Re: Antonio Brown a Viking?

Post by S197 »

I'm hopeful the front office learns from last year's mistakes vs making the same ones again. We need draft capital to shore up our sieve of a line, not add to an already very good position. Not to mention the cap implications.

I'm also going to edit the title a bit because it makes it seem like this is a rumor or news going around.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Antonio Brown a Viking? (Hypothetical)

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Antonio Brown carries a $22 million cap hit who's signed through 2021.

So ... where exactly would we get the cap space?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:24 pm Antonio Brown carries a $22 million cap hit who's signed through 2021.

So ... where exactly would we get the cap space?
Since this is some type of dream thread, maybe Monopoly Money?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Let's get a way-back machine, create Tom Brady in his prime, and randy moss as well.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pros:

- Arguably the best WR in the NFL.
- Unguardable
- Joins Diggs/Thielen, each great in their own right. Makes them very hard to defend
- Instant playmaker that can do take the top off the defense
- Hungry to piss off Pittsburgh
- Contract...still 3 years left

Cons:

- Ultimate primadonna
- Issues with leadership remain a Q. Disrespectful towards Tomlin and non-responsive to Ben (who in all fairness threw teammates under the bus constantly). Zimmer and Kirk are complete opposites, respectively, but it's a glaring Q. Would he respond better to this team?
- Contract...more money that the Vikings can't really spend and he undoubtedly will want an extension prior to his contract expiring, making him a holdout candidate
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Of course I'd take him but the cap wouldn't allow it.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm against this move. His negatives do not outweigh his positives when you consider he would only be an incremental upgrade over Diggs or Thielen. If this was the 2014 Vikings crop of WR it would be a different situation, but we already have one of the elite WR tandems in the NFL. Yes, Brown would be an improvement over Diggs or Thielen but it wouldn't be a vast improvement. My sense is it would be a marginal one at best. Yet we take a $22MM cap hit and have to deal with his locker room garbage. You can bet he would butt heads with ZImmer. That seems almost guaranteed.

No Thank You.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

A volatile WR who will complain about not getting the ball enough with this team's commitment to balance and poor offensive line? I will pass.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

He was a headache earlier in the season I forgot what he did but he was talked about once the steelers lost the first 2 games. Great receiver but i'll pass. Besides we have other issues to deal with.
Purplepain2018
Backup

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Hey remember guys I posted this as a hypothetical type trade...I know it will never happen. Just trying to generate some conversation about What if....some of you guys need to calm down. I will spell it in five letters....R---E---L---A---X.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Not looking at the "teammate" aspect of Brown here, just wanting to know about our financial situation. If we cut ties with Griffen, Rudolph and Treadwell, would it clear up enough money to make it work? I'm not a salary cap expert, and appreciate any responses.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm Not looking at the "teammate" aspect of Brown here, just wanting to know about our financial situation. If we cut ties with Griffen, Rudolph and Treadwell, would it clear up enough money to make it work? I'm not a salary cap expert, and appreciate any responses.
Probably doable but would be a complete waste of money
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm Not looking at the "teammate" aspect of Brown here, just wanting to know about our financial situation. If we cut ties with Griffen, Rudolph and Treadwell, would it clear up enough money to make it work? I'm not a salary cap expert, and appreciate any responses.
Won't work.

Cap space gained by cutting:
Griffen: $10.54 million
Rudolph: $7.25 million
Laquon Treadwell: $0 (his entire salary and bonus would be dead money)

Total cap space gained: $17.79 million.

Brown's contract for 2019: $22.16 million.

You're short $4.37 million.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.