Well, No Vikings in playoffs, so who you think now? Who advances to Super Bowl?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Well, No Vikings in playoffs, so who you think now? Who advances to Super Bowl?

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am Rams vs. Cowboys game was a good illustration of how a team's running game can be successful because of smart offensive play calling (Rams), rather than powerful running and blocking (Cowboys).

CJ Anderson, a guy who was cut by several teams this year, gained massive yards on well-designed runs. I hope Stefanski was taking notes, because while we'd all love to see our OL look more like the Cowboys', the offensive scheming of the Rams might have just as much impact.

Also: anyone remember the story of how Sully got to the Rams? I hate seeing ex-Vikings O linemen flourishing elsewhere. It is just another reminder of how poorly we've managed the position.
Man would it be nice to still have Sully.

It was a really bad decision by the GM to cut Sully that lead to him going to the Rams. You cut a very good center, because Berger is playing well and is much cheaper, possibly to make room for Bradford's contract, although with the timing it might not have been Bradford specifically who they were making room for. If they keep Sully that season, Berger is playing LT ten times better than Clemmings when Kahlil goes down. Or maybe he replaces Fusco at guard. Just a stupid decision by the GM to cut a very good player on the weakest unit on the team.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Well, No Vikings in playoffs, so who you think now? Who advances to Super Bowl?

Post by FullWood »

I don't care who advances as long as its not the Saints oh helll no!!!!

On another note im tired of the Patriots winning ways. Brees already have a superbowl due to Saints cheap ways in the 09-10 championship game against us. So no need to support another one for him.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Another "Pearson pushed" moment for the Vikes. :(
Purple Must Reign you remember the plays also. I didn't do a real great job in my original post because i started re-living it all and getting mad again.
And yes Jim that is one of the plays I was meaning. It was Pierre Thomas. He went up over the pile and did get the 1st down, but he fumbled, then the ball was recovered BEHIND the LOS . They reviewed it and still gave the Saints the 1st down.
And another was , as I said , the play on 4th down when the rec fell, Leber was behind him a few yards, and they called a P.I. on Leber, once again robbing us of a possession change. That was just calls that allowed the Saints to be in the position to be able to hang stay in contention for the win.
Yes we had the turnovers , and mistakes, but without the calls that went against us we would have won the game.
Now Favre's ankle was about destroyed, so who knows how effective he would have been in the SB. It was just the fact that we go hosed so badly that still irks me. But, I'm still alive haha.
Didn't mean to come across as a butthole earlier.
The game is pretty much on youtube and you can watch either the entire game or highlights. Nothing went right with us from AP fumbling and not having to trust him at times. He fumbled twice and on a handoff that was credited as Favre fumbled because Favre touched the ball last. Then Harvin fumbled midfield and Berrian fumbled near the red zone. We dominated those cheap shotters Saints who kept hitting Favre late. Surprisingly didn't sack Favre but kept hitting him after the ball left his hands. Also what bothers me the 12th man in the huddle which made me dumbfounded that took us out of field goal range where Longwell didn't have distance but accuracy who missed 1 field goal that year that was blocked I think. Last year when we beat them with the miracle play it was not satisfying to me because it wasn't the championship game. I want to beat their behinds every year and I want them to lose every year until if we every win the superbowl. :govikes:

On another note even if we won that game against the Saints I think we would of lost against the Colts because if you remember Sidney Rice supposedly hurt his hip that game against the Saints most likely him being uneffected. Also our best cornerback that year Cedric Griffen tore his ACL. Manning would torched and shred our DB's and then Favre shattered ankle probably would of been in worse shape with Freeney chasing him and beating McKinnie :steamed:
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:11 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am Rams vs. Cowboys game was a good illustration of how a team's running game can be successful because of smart offensive play calling (Rams), rather than powerful running and blocking (Cowboys).

CJ Anderson, a guy who was cut by several teams this year, gained massive yards on well-designed runs. I hope Stefanski was taking notes, because while we'd all love to see our OL look more like the Cowboys', the offensive scheming of the Rams might have just as much impact.

Also: anyone remember the story of how Sully got to the Rams? I hate seeing ex-Vikings O linemen flourishing elsewhere. It is just another reminder of how poorly we've managed the position.

It was a really bad decision by the GM to cut Sully that lead to him going to the Rams. You cut a very good center, because Berger is playing well and is much cheaper, possibly to make room for Bradford's contract, although with the timing it might not have been Bradford specifically who they were making room for. If they keep Sully that season, Berger is playing LT ten times better than Clemmings when Kahlil goes down. Or maybe he replaces Fusco at guard. Just a stupid decision by the GM to cut a very good player on the weakest unit on the team.

CJ Anderson actually had a good year last over 1,000 yards and is only 27 years old. I don’t know why teams didn’t want him or he didn’t want to play for them I don’t know.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4930/john-sullivan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1742 ... 8-year-vet

According to this Vikings made the decision based on how Berger played well. Sullivan was coming off multiple back surgeries and missed all of 2015. Tony Sparano just came to the Vikings and he had a history with Joe Berger back when they were in Dallas and Miami. Being that Sullivan is 31 they tried to trade him because he cost $5.83 mil against the cap. Vikings ultimately cut him during the final roster cuts. Before the season started Redskins signed him to a 1 year contract. Then when Rams hired Sean McVay as their head coach. McVay who was previously with the Redskins as an offensive coordinator thought John Sullivan would be a big help to the offense and there you have it. John Sullivan is with the Rams. Sully is a prime example of a lesser known but awesome Viking.

Oh by the way a non fun fact. That same day Sullivan was cut by the Vikings Bridgewater suffered that serious knee injury on that day. :(

Edit: links to the website.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

FullWood wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:11 pm

CJ Anderson actually had a good year last over 1,000 yards and is only 27 years old. I don’t know why teams didn’t want him or he didn’t want to play for them I don’t know.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4930/john-sullivan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1742 ... 8-year-vet

According to this Vikings made the decision based on how Berger played well. Sullivan was coming off multiple back surgeries and missed all of 2015. Tony Sparano just came to the Vikings and he had a history with Joe Berger back when they were in Dallas and Miami. Being that Sullivan is 31 they tried to trade him because he cost $5.83 mil against the cap. Vikings ultimately cut him during the final roster cuts. Before the season started Redskins signed him to a 1 year contract. Then when Rams hired Sean McVay as their head coach. McVay who was previously with the Redskins as an offensive coordinator thought John Sullivan would be a big help to the offense and there you have it. John Sullivan is with the Rams. Sully is a prime example of a lesser known but awesome Viking.

Oh by the way a non fun fact. That same day Sullivan was cut by the Vikings Bridgewater suffered that serious knee injury on that day. :(

Edit: links to the website.
I was never as high on Sullivan as most. I just was never wowed or thought he was all that great. He was good but with his injuries I don't think the Vikings had a choice but to get rid of him.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 am
I was never as high on Sullivan as most. I just was never wowed or thought he was all that great. He was good but with his injuries I don't think the Vikings had a choice but to get rid of him.
The choice should have been to start Sully at center, cut Fusco, and start Berger at guard. That 2016 line would have then had a very solid middle, with lousy tackles, instead of lousy in the middle and the outside.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

The current teams:

I'll take Pats over Saints in SB.
The Rams will be in other conference championships over the next decade.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'd rather see the Rams beat the Saints and I think they can. I'd rather KC go to the super bowl on the AFC side.
DeanE153
Waterboy

Post by DeanE153 »

I was impressed with the Saints vs the Eagles.

14-0 down and didn't panic - In the NFL in 2019 you need to show some balls and some creativity to get back into games. They had the fake punt to get a vital first down and then (still in the first quarter) at the Eagles 5 on 4&1 they went for it and got the TD. A more conservative team (like the Vikings) wouldn't have been able to get the field goal unit onto the field quick enough.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Thank goodness it's NOT the Saints.

And they got hosed on a bad non-call. At home. Serves them right.

(Disclaimer: No sour grapes from 2009 were consumed in the making of this post. I swear.)
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Oh when the Saints go marching home! Oh when the Saints go marching home!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 pm Thank goodness it's NOT the Saints.

(Disclaimer: No sour grapes from 2009 were consumed in the making of this post. I swear.)
They definitely got hosed on that play, but comeuppance is oh so satisfying.

Now, Go Chiefs!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

May I add a disclaimer to your disclaimer sir??

A huge mug of sour grapes WERE consumed in the posting of this disclaimer. Now Screaming Sean Peyton knows how it feels. And I loved seeing it.

Again, I hope you are not mad at me adding to your post. But I just couldn't stop myself.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

A huge mug of sour grapes WERE consumed in the posting of this disclaimer. Now Screaming Sean Peyton knows how it feels. And I loved seeing it.

Again, I hope you are not mad at me adding to your post. But I just couldn't stop myself.
Mad? Not a chance!

As I told my wife, with the Vikings not in the picture, the ending of that game was about as satisfying as it's gonna get for me this playoff season. It was like a great movie, with the ending coming out EXACTLY as I would hope. Oughta win a couple of Oscars. Best Picture goes to the game. Best Supporting Actor goes to Sean Payton for the greatest grown-man-crying-like-a-freaking-baby scene since John Coffey in The Green Mile. :appl:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Mad? Not a chance!

As I told my wife, with the Vikings not in the picture, the ending of that game was about as satisfying as it's gonna get for me this playoff season. It was like a great movie, with the ending coming out EXACTLY as I would hope. Oughta win a couple of Oscars. Best Picture goes to the game. Best Supporting Actor goes to Sean Payton for the greatest grown-man-crying-like-a-freaking-baby scene since John Coffey in The Green Mile. :appl:
I salute you Kapp!! One of my best friends is a huge Rams fan. We were texting during game. Believe me he knows my feelings on the Saints and Sean Peyton. My last text was , and I will remove a few words, The only way this could be better is if it were the Vikings winning this way. I told him that I loved seeing Peyton's big fat face screaming , with his head ready to explode. And ended it with there ya go Sean, hows it feel to be *bleeped* in the Championship game you * bleep*.
Just wish that dirty pc of crap Greg Williams was still on the staff to feel the pain also, after what he pulled against us.
My wife told me a few mins ago I looked like a giddy little 8th grader when the game winning kick went through. And she said I was acting like a dumb H.S. kid when I said a few choice words when they replayed poor Sean crying and screaming.
She just doesnt understand the gratification involved. Lol. It just felt good.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!