Vikings looking to retain Priefer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Vikings looking to retain Priefer

Post by halfgiz »

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings looking to retain Priefer

Post by PurpleMustReign »

:roll:
halfgiz wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:42 pm This is kind of a surprise for me.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/3/ ... ke-priefer
What the hell is wrong with thus team? Idiots.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Sigh.

The article also fails to mention the equal number of failed punters we've gone through. The guy must be made of pure Teflon.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Chris Kluwe, Blair Walsh, Kai Forebath, Daniel Carlson. Priefer is hot garbage.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

:puke:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

For me, this says it all. Zim is inept at just about everything but defense(and thats coming into question now too), and Ricky doesnt have a CLUE about coaches, or the talent of a qb, wr, or anyone on the Oline. We are doomed until Laurel and Hardy are done managing this team. It makes me sick. How are us fan supposed to trust this team?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Top 10 coverage units, top 10 return units.

2 kickers who had their best seasons under him, and Dan Bailey, who had the exact same season in 2018 as he did in 2017.

Fire him because Carlson got the yips in his second game ever as a pro.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 am Top 10 coverage units, top 10 return units.

2 kickers who had their best seasons under him, and Dan Bailey, who had the exact same season in 2018 as he did in 2017.

I think there might be a lot of residual Blair Walsh anger there too.

Once again, I have to wonder why Rick Spielman doesn't take more heat for this stuff. I get the impression Priefer may sometimes over-coach his kickers and punters but he actually seemed to help Blair Walsh when the latter first came to the NFL. Walsh hit just 21 of 35 field goal attempts in his final year of college football but Spielman drafted him anyway, knowing he was talented but also knowing he had issues with accuracy and consistency. It wasn't surprising when they re-emerged.

Spielman traded picks to draft Carlson but Carlson was 23 of 31 on FG attempts as a senior so it's not like he was automatic either. Why roll the dice on a rookie kicker with those stats in a season with Super Bowl expectations and then cut him after he has a bad game in week 2? Was there an expectation that he'd just come to the pros and be automatic?

I'd have no objections to replacing Priefer with another qualified ST coach but I have a hard time hanging the Vikings kicking issues on him. It's his job to solve them but he can't make the kicks himself. He works with the kickers provided to him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 am I'd have no objections to replacing Priefer with another qualified ST coach but I have a hard time hanging the Vikings kicking issues on him. It's his job to solve them but he can't make the kicks himself. He works with the kickers provided to him.
Just to be a dick, replace Priefer with Zimmer here and let me know why the difference in opinion.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am
Mothman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 am I'd have no objections to replacing Priefer with another qualified ST coach but I have a hard time hanging the Vikings kicking issues on him. It's his job to solve them but he can't make the kicks himself. He works with the kickers provided to him.
Just to be a dick, replace Priefer with Zimmer here and let me know why the difference in opinion.
I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't see a conflict in my assessment of Zimmer and my take on Priefer and kickers above. I'm not holding Zimmer responsible for the individual performances of particular players on particular plays either. If Barr misses a tackle or a DB allows a TD, I don't say that's Zimmer's fault.

I'm not giving Priefer a pass. He's responsible for the overall performance of the special teams unit and that includes the overall performance of the kicking game. I just think it's hard to hang the individual misses of kickers on him unless there's a very compelling reason to do so. That's like blaming a QB's poor throws or decisions on the coach rather than the QB. I place a great deal of importance on coaching but players still have to perform.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 am Top 10 coverage units, top 10 return units.

Bailey made 75% of his FGs this season, that puts him at 29th out of 30 kickers in the NFL in terms of FG accuracy among all kickers who averaged 1 attempt per game or more.

http://proxy.espn.com/nfl/statistics/pl ... eldGoalPct
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

720pete wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Bailey made 75% of his FGs this season, that puts him at 29th out of 30 kickers in the NFL in terms of FG accuracy among all kickers who averaged 1 attempt per game or more.

Again, yay stats!

If you can't see the common denominators with our crappy kickers and how he can't figure out their problems, then I can't help you. How many kickers do we have to go through before we realize that something is wrong that no one is fixing?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Bailey hit 75% of his FG attempts in last season in Dallas too. I think that was Brad's point. Bailey didn't improve on or lower his percentage this year and he was available during the season, so it's not like there should be have been an expectation that he would be among the league's better kickers. He basically performed to the level that made him available in the first place.

Bailey made all but one extra point and all but one kick inside of 39 yards. His struggles were mainly in the 40+ yard range. i wonder if he's just at a point in his career where he can't be relied upon to be accurate from longer range. That's obviously not what teams are looking for in a kicker in today's NFL but if the Vikings choose to keep him on their roster, they'd be wise to keep that potential limitation in mind next year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Bailey hit 75% of his FG attempts in last season in Dallas too. I think that was Brad's point. Bailey didn't improve on or lower his percentage this year and he was available during the season, so it's not like there should be have been an expectation that he would be among the league's better kickers. He basically performed to the level that made him available in the first place.

Bailey made all but one extra point and all but one kick inside of 39 yards. His struggles were mainly in the 40+ yard range. i wonder if he's just at a point in his career where he can't be relied upon to be accurate from longer range. That's obviously not what teams are looking for in a kicker in today's NFL but if the Vikings choose to keep him on their roster, they'd be wise to keep that potential limitation in mind next year.
Is his real name Brad or is it Brad because everyone is Brad?

On a couple of his misses this season, they seemed rushed. Namely the ridiculous play in NE where Wile was late coming out to the field.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

PA discussed this topic toward the end of his show this morning. They made some very interesting points:

1.) Dan Bailey made a comment that everyone in the media is grossly undervaluing how hard it is to get three guys (kicker, holder, long snapper) on the same page to perfectly execute a kick. This has to happen in 1.3 seconds or less. Makes me wonder if this might show improvement next season?

2.) Priefer made a comment to the media recently regarding Blair Walsh. Apparently Walsh during his time with the Vikings made a decision to tone his body down some and ended up losing strength in his leg. Walsh (not Priefer) then began messing with his swing to compensate for the loss strength. This is what lead to his kicking woes. Also, PA reminded folks that Walsh had a terrible last season at Georgia before he was drafted. Priefer and he worked through some stuff and then Walsh had his probowl season. This is a positive for Priefer. The stuff about Walsh changing his body and swing in uncorroborated, but it makes me wonder. Walsh had issues in SEA after he left us so it wasn't just the Vikings in that case.

3.) Chad Greenway was on the show and expressed strong agreement with the view that coaches can't do much with regards to kickers. He said every guy out there can make these kicks on the practice field. The difference is the one who can do it under the pressure of the NFL with 1 second on the clock in the 4Q. Greenway also wondered aloud what the kick % was before Loeffler was cut and after, he felt this change likely had a big impact.

4.) Wile had zero touchbacks as a punter in something like the last 13 games of this season. That is nothing short of incredible.

5.) As mentioned previously in this thread, the coverage and return games are elite because of Preifer. Every year he loses guys and has to coach others up, yet they are consistently great.

The segment really changed my mind about the kicking in MN and about Priefer in general. I long have held the view that 5 years of kicking woes should put him on the chopping block. PA, Charch, and Greenway all expressed understanding for that sentiment, but the "inside baseball" stuff they talked about really changed my mind about it. I think retaining him is a win for the Vikings.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi