Off season changes/ hirings & firings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Off season changes/ hirings & firings

Post by Texas Vike »

This is potentially tangential, but it made me think of the process of hiring coaches and coordinators and the rationale that is often used in making these important decisions.

The article criticizes the AZ Cardinals' hiring of Kingsbury (worth a read), but I'll quote the part that I think is pertinent to this thread below:
http://theundefeated.com/features/all-t ... troubling/

The justifications for most head coach hires are as follows:

Retread: The candidate had some success doing this job elsewhere. With the proper support and the value of previous experience, he can reproduce and improve on that level of success.
Accomplished coordinator: This candidate was great at strategy, play design and playcalling for one side of the ball. While those skills are not directly applicable to the requirements of a head coach, being good on one side of the ball or the other is obviously valuable.
Championship proximity: This candidate was on the staff of a winner. And presumably he knows how to duplicate the culture and conditions that facilitate success.
Step up: This candidate has succeeded as a head coach in college or in a different pro football league, so he should be able to do it in the NFL.
In another article by the same author, I can't help but picture Zimmer as exhibit A:
Too many head coaches underestimate the importance of their new CEO duties and focus on the side of the ball that brought them success. The impact of that on a team is not unlike what happens in other organizations: There is no strategic cohesion, long-term awareness and a culture of apathy develops. In football, those issues manifest themselves in a few ways: poor clock management, indecisiveness at important moments, missed assignments by players, disgruntled players, harmful leaks to the media, etc.
Here's the link to this article: https://theundefeated.com/features/all- ... -nfl-team/
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm This is potentially tangential, but it made me think of the process of hiring coaches and coordinators and the rationale that is often used in making these important decisions.

The article criticizes the AZ Cardinals' hiring of Kingsbury (worth a read), but I'll quote the part that I think is pertinent to this thread below:
http://theundefeated.com/features/all-t ... troubling/

The justifications for most head coach hires are as follows:

Retread: The candidate had some success doing this job elsewhere. With the proper support and the value of previous experience, he can reproduce and improve on that level of success.
Accomplished coordinator: This candidate was great at strategy, play design and playcalling for one side of the ball. While those skills are not directly applicable to the requirements of a head coach, being good on one side of the ball or the other is obviously valuable.
Championship proximity: This candidate was on the staff of a winner. And presumably he knows how to duplicate the culture and conditions that facilitate success.
Step up: This candidate has succeeded as a head coach in college or in a different pro football league, so he should be able to do it in the NFL.
In another article by the same author, I can't help but picture Zimmer as exhibit A:
Too many head coaches underestimate the importance of their new CEO duties and focus on the side of the ball that brought them success. The impact of that on a team is not unlike what happens in other organizations: There is no strategic cohesion, long-term awareness and a culture of apathy develops. In football, those issues manifest themselves in a few ways: poor clock management, indecisiveness at important moments, missed assignments by players, disgruntled players, harmful leaks to the media, etc.
Here's the link to this article: https://theundefeated.com/features/all- ... -nfl-team/
That describes Zimmer to a 'T'. Wow.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Josh and I both just posted about this in the Priefer thread but I think it's worth including the news here too since the theme of the thread is "hirings and firings":

According to Ben Goessling and Mark Craig of the Star Tribune, Mike Priefer will not be returning as the Vikings’ special teams coordinator in 2019.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm Josh and I both just posted about this in the Priefer thread but I think it's worth including the news here too since the theme of the thread is "hirings and firings":

According to Ben Goessling and Mark Craig of the Star Tribune, Mike Priefer will not be returning as the Vikings’ special teams coordinator in 2019.
I'm a little nervous about how the Wilf's are handling Zimmer and spielman, and what thst will do to potential coaching candidates... Of the three options (extend them, fire them, do nothing), if seems they are doing the worst one. I hope thrt doesn't make it hard for them to get decent coaches.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 pm I'm a little nervous about how the Wilf's are handling Zimmer and spielman, and what thst will do to potential coaching candidates... Of the three options (extend them, fire them, do nothing), if seems they are doing the worst one. I hope thrt doesn't make it hard for them to get decent coaches.
I'm the complete opposite. I think it's fine. There's no reason to extend them right now, and IMO not enough reason to fire them yet. I think next year could change that one way or the other. I think letting it play out is the right move for now. I guess I understand why some feel differently, but I don't think firing them after one down year is right. The year before they went to the NFC Championship. The NFL is a hard business. It's extremely rare to find a a coach who wins very year. I see their faults, but many other teams have it MUCH worse than the Vikings. I'm a little old-school though, I prefer continuity. I think the firing craze is absurd. It rarely improves the team immediately. Sure, it happens, but it's the exception vs the norm.

By the way, I think this helps with potential future coaches. Both Zim and Spielman have had long leashes. The Wilfs do not appear to be knee-jerk. That has to give someone a better feel for the environment.
Damian
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Vikings hired Marwan Maarlouf as ST coach. More here:
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/21 ... eams-coach
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm Vikings hired Marwan Maarlouf as ST coach. More here:
TIL special teams quality control coach is a thing
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm Vikings hired Marwan Maarlouf as ST coach. More here:
TIL what TIL stands for! :lol:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm
S197 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm

TIL what TIL stands for! :lol:
:lol: sorry too much Reddit
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Dont know if this should go here or not but Pete Morellie is going to retire one of the bigger Viking killer that there ever was.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Raz wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:49 pm Dont know if this should go here or not but Pete Morellie is going to retire one of the bigger Viking killer that there ever was.
Should have been fired 10 years ago.