Off season changes/ hirings & firings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Off season changes/ hirings & firings

Post by PurpleMustReign »

TSonn wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:38 pm Sounds like Dirk Koetter is in play for our OC position now. I think he'd make a good OC but might butt heads with Zimmer (like JDF) since he was quite pass-heavy in ATL.

We're at this weird spot where we just paid 84m for a QB but we have a coach who wants to feature running the ball.
I'd much rather have Mularkey. I sincerely hope Zimmer isn't stupid enough to hire a pass heave coordinator.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Apparently, Atlanta may have offered Koetter their OC position today:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/bre ... irR7u7kUL/
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

MrPurplenGold wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm Stefanski to remain Vikings OC

Per Adam Schefter
Cool. I hope he runs Shurmur's offense and not Turner's, Musgrave's, Bevell's, or Childress's.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

TSonn wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Per Adam Schefter
Cool. I hope he runs Shurmur's offense and not Turner's, Musgrave's, Bevell's, or Childress's.
I hope he hires one helluva OL coach!

I'm somewhat surprised by this news, honestly. Not in a good or bad way, I just didn't expect it. I guess one of the positives is simply the continuity. Cousins spoke very highly of him and seems to like working with him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm
TSonn wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm somewhat surprised by this news, honestly. Not in a good or bad way, I just didn't expect it. I guess one of the positives is simply the continuity. Cousins spoke very highly of him and seems to like working with him.
I thought he'd get snatched up by the HC wave and the league "McVeigh" fad. I think it is a good hire, but not sure if it is a great one. He obviously gets the Culture under Zim, so that is a big positive. I just think his track record on game day is incomplete. Not saying he is bad, just that I haven't seen enough to form any kind of opinion. So the unknown factor is there. Still, it is fair to think that what might be unknown to us maybe isn't as murky to Zimmer and Spielman since Stefanski has been with the organization so long. Let's call it cautiously optimistic then. They certainly could have done a LOT worse. The retread former HC they had as potential candidates gave me heartburn.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm

I thought he'd get snatched up by the HC wave and the league "McVeigh" fad. I think it is a good hire, but not sure if it is a great one. He obviously gets the Culture under Zim, so that is a big positive. I just think his track record on game day is incomplete. Not saying he is bad, just that I haven't seen enough to form any kind of opinion. So the unknown factor is there. Still, it is fair to think that what might be unknown to us maybe isn't as murky to Zimmer and Spielman since Stefanski has been with the organization so long. Let's call it cautiously optimistic then. They certainly could have done a LOT worse. The retread former HC they had as potential candidates gave me heartburn.
I don't know how close the Browns were, but it came down to Stefanski and Kitchens (who had a leg up based on the season). I guess that looks very good considering Stefanski barely even had an OC job. I do think this is the right choice for the Vikings, and quite possible the only realistic one considering the status of Zim and Spielman's contracts. I don't think that any big name OC would come here knowing that this could essentially be a 1 year deal. I think the only type it would bring is a guy who felt that Zim is possibly on the way out, and being in the organization gave them an inside shot on the HC job in 2020. That's a recipe for disaster if things start to go awry in the early part of the year. I think Stefanksi is the probably best choice for next year anyway. He knows the personnel, and is familiar with what Cousins and Zim want. The Vikings obviously think highly of Stefanksi, so letting him prove himself next year is fair. In his brief 3 game stint, he actually improved the offense. (The Bears made the Vikings look silly, but they did that to a lot of good offenses.)

And, yes, finding a great OL coach is extremely important, IMO.

When Shurmur took over as OC after Norm left, the offense improved some, but it really didn't click until the following season. Here's hoping Stefanski follows a similar pattern!
Damian
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Per Adam Schefter
I don't find this news encouraging but hopefully, it will work out well.
Dames wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm I don't know how close the Browns were, but it came down to Stefanski and Kitchens (who had a leg up based on the season). I guess that looks very good considering Stefanski barely even had an OC job. I do think this is the right choice for the Vikings, and quite possible the only realistic one considering the status of Zim and Spielman's contracts. I don't think that any big name OC would come here knowing that this could essentially be a 1 year deal.
Excellent point. I think their options were probably limited so I'm not surprised Stefanaski will stay in the job.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Per Adam Schefter
I don't find this news encouraging but hopefully, it will work out well.
I admit, I didn't really at first either. Of course, I thought he should of had the job after Shurmur left, so I'm really curious to see how he does with a full year of being the OC. It appears the FO just got caught up in the JDF hype.
Mothman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 pm
Dames wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm I don't know how close the Browns were, but it came down to Stefanski and Kitchens (who had a leg up based on the season). I guess that looks very good considering Stefanski barely even had an OC job. I do think this is the right choice for the Vikings, and quite possible the only realistic one considering the status of Zim and Spielman's contracts. I don't think that any big name OC would come here knowing that this could essentially be a 1 year deal.
Excellent point. I think their options were probably limited so I'm not surprised Stefanaski will stay in the job.
I really hope there are no extensions for Zim or Spielman coming this offseason, although I'm quite sure their agents will be pushing hard for it. I think they both need to earn those extensions next year. If they can fix the OL issues, and have a lot of success next year, then maybe I'll change my tune (of course, we've all been saying that for several years). I actually like them both, but they both definitely have their short-comings. Will be interesting to see what the Wilfs do though. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if extensions are made.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm not jumping for joy over it but I'm not upset either. Nobody was really excited when we kept Shurmur after he was the interim OC in 2016 going into 2017. And look how he turned out. Same thing here. He knows what Zim wants, he wont shy away from running the ball, and like someone said above continuity :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dames wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:52 pmI really hope there are no extensions for Zim or Spielman coming this offseason, although I'm quite sure their agents will be pushing hard for it. I think they both need to earn those extensions next year. If they can fix the OL issues, and have a lot of success next year, then maybe I'll change my tune (of course, we've all been saying that for several years). I actually like them both, but they both definitely have their short-comings. Will be interesting to see what the Wilfs do though. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if extensions are made.

I wouldn't be surprised either but I have the same attitude you do: let them earn those extensions.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Perhaps Joe Philbin as our new OC coach?

https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/10 ... 7026079745

Teach our boys how told hold like Packers please!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

TSonn wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am Perhaps Joe Philbin as our new OC coach?

They've had good lines.

Also a Dolphins connection, where Edwards coached under him. I like the idea of having ex-head coaches on staff and Philbin's done a nice job with GB's OL, honestly.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 pm
TSonn wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am Perhaps Joe Philbin as our new OC coach?

They've had good lines.

Also a Dolphins connection, where Edwards coached under him. I like the idea of having ex-head coaches on staff and Philbin's done a nice job with GB's OL, honestly.
I agree. And there could be a technique that he teaches that helps his players get away with holding... Something that makes it borderline.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 pm

They've had good lines.

I agree. And there could be a technique that he teaches that helps his players get away with holding... Something that makes it borderline.
I had found this a while back and thought it was interesting. Don't know how much truth there is to it all, but the packers sure seem to get away with "holding" from where I sit in my living room :wink:

This article talks about the video.

How the Green Bay Pakers...