Mike Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Mike Zimmer

Post by halfgiz »

If Zimmer basically just wants to run the ball and control the game with his defense. Then why did we spend 84 million for a passing QB? It makes no sense at all.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 am If Zimmer basically just wants to run the ball and control the game with his defense. Then why did we spend 84 million for a passing QB? It makes no sense at all.

For the same reason they wanted to run Norv Turner's downfield passing attack and then drafted and committed to a QB without the skill set or mentality to run it effectively. There's no cohesive vision for the offense on this team and there hasn't been for a long, long time.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 am
808vikingsfan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:10 pm Zimmer press conference

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1080888456438378496
I really think I'm going to stop watching press conferences. They are like listening to politicians. Either half truths or outright lies They don't ever give you any real valuable information.
That one was particularly uninformative. The only interesting point, to me, was Zimmer's admission that he needs to interview better for OC. It sounded as though he realized that he listened too much to the hype and gossip/ rumor mill of the NFL & media, which seems to inflate certain candidates from teams with recent success. I expect Zimmer to disregard some of that this time around, and hire someone who philosophically matches his vision better.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 am
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 am
I really think I'm going to stop watching press conferences. They are like listening to politicians. Either half truths or outright lies They don't ever give you any real valuable information.
That one was particularly uninformative. The only interesting point, to me, was Zimmer's admission that he needs to interview better for OC. It sounded as though he realized that he listened too much to the hype and gossip/ rumor mill of the NFL & media, which seems to inflate certain candidates from teams with recent success. I expect Zimmer to disregard some of that this time around, and hire someone who philosophically matches his vision better.
Let's hope so. That did seem to be what he was hinting at...

I actually found a few things in the press conference interesting: the comments about Tony Sparano and Zimmer's professional relationship with him were interesting to me. I also found Zimmer's comments about the team's mentality interesting. He seems to recognize that they lacked a mental edge some of their opponents had.

I didn't expect a lot of insight from it. It did sound like Zimmer might be signaling to the press that Hue Jackson may not be his choice as OC but maybe I misinterpreted him.

There was a bit of talk about the running game but no questions about or discussion of the run defense. That was disappointing because I think it became a real problem.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Zimmer's press conferences are even more meaningless then the one Childress had. Or Edwards even. Utter waste of time.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

Zimmer's press conferences are even more meaningless then the one Childress had. Or Edwards even. Utter waste of time.
I understand the frustration, but I actually think Zimmer is less polished and a much less accomplished dissembler/ dissimulator than most other coaches or even some players (Cousins, exhibit A). In fact, being a straight shooter is his default mode, so the 'performance' of a presser is disagreeable to him and simply difficult for him. He's gotten better at "coach speak," but he's still pretty transparent / easy to read. You do have to listen carefully though.

Another thing that he was asked by the press that was interesting is regarding the OL. I didn't really like his answer, honestly. He wouldn't concede that they need to draft OL. Hopefully, that's just not revealing the team's intentions--i.e. playing coy ahead of the draft, but I am afraid that is assigning too much credit to Zimmer. He just isn't that subtle of a guy.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

That whole "coach's speak" crap that some of them do is so overrated. Other teams get film, scouting reports, and past history to look at and these coaches are worried about saying the right words so as not to top theur hand. It's just stupid.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mogvet
Practice Squad

Post by Mogvet »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 am
Mogvet wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Then please explain out of the 71 yard scoring drive 62 yards was on the ground for the Bears first score, like swiss cheese. You talk about burned out but the Bears ran it right down our throats first drive.
Why would I explain that? I'm agreeing with you. I was VERY disappointed in our defense this year. I must be missing something...
Apologize I read it wrong!
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Mothman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 am
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 am

Let's hope so. That did seem to be what he was hinting at...

I actually found a few things in the press conference interesting: the comments about Tony Sparano and Zimmer's professional relationship with him were interesting to me. I also found Zimmer's comments about the team's mentality interesting. He seems to recognize that they lacked a mental edge some of their opponents had.

I didn't expect a lot of insight from it. It did sound like Zimmer might be signaling to the press that Hue Jackson may not be his choice as OC but maybe I misinterpreted him.

There was a bit of talk about the running game but no questions about or discussion of the run defense. That was disappointing because I think it became a real problem.
Is Bud Grant available?
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I think that after the dust settles in a couple years we will find out the back story on Cousins. The lack of fire we've seen in Zim could be telegraphing that he opposed the trade but was forced to accept it. That could be the story or I might be looking under rocks for a conspiracy theory but I have never felt like he fully supported the Cousins deal. He may have lobbied to keep Teddy but this is just all speculation on my part. I would guess that even if he was not in favor of the trade he would still get swept up in the aftermath. Perhaps being in his 60's he's looking at spending more time at that beautiful home and will retire before any of the inevitable goes down if the team doesn't shore up their soft spots.