2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

Post by allday1991 »

I gave it a day before i decided to write this, unfortunately it isnt going to be any "nicer". I could sit here and say nice try vikings, fix your holes and you'll be a contender. We lost to a bears team sitting there best 2 wrs and starting saftey, there 2 string defence had more sacks than our starters, and we think we are a few pieces away? Imo with this cap situation and cousins we are dead in the water for the next three years with 9-7 being out best record. I hate the fact our head office is so #### oblivious. Its one thing for the common fan to think your one player away from contention but as a head office you need to have a better idea were your team stands and why. The bears couldnt touch us last year, add mack and tribisky some decent play calls and now we cant touch them? So the difference between first and last in our division last year was mac and a better oc, thats all the #### last place bears needed to beat the so called superbowl contenders? I dont buy it, we just arent that good. rhodes dropped of the map, waynes despite ppf and everyone loving him still gives up wide open passes to unnamed wrs, griffen dropped, barrs gone, kendricks is small and not the fastest guy (but usually plays smart), hunter is good, linval dropped, richardson is gone, Smith as good as hes been struggling to make the pro bowl and unless you talk to a viking fan very few mention him as one of the best year in and out, sure hes good for us but i believe our purple glasses make him look better than he actually is. We can be stacked at cbs, get 50 sacks in a season (league leading) and still finish without a decent amount of int. Honestly how do you get 50 sacks spend so much on cb for that result? Last but not least, just like the offence the defence gives up way to eazy, they come off as a weak minded give up team, and i hate it.

The offence, oline obviously enough said. Cousins isnt that answer, can we win with him? Yes. Can he carry a team alone ? No. This was pretty evident in his time with the redskins. Like any other normal qb cousins needs to be put in a good situation to win. Im not defending cousins just stating the obvious. Rb is ok at best but cook fumbles alot and always in big games (lucky it bounced out b4 the bears could get it). Rudolph is a scheme tight end and isnt out running anyone, including the dline. Wr, this should get controversial, but i predict neither diggs or theilen break 1000 yards next year, reason 1. We will be running more, sure diggs and theilen put up good numbers but did you see how much we threw it? 2. Defences starting to figure them out, they came in hot and slowed down. Everyone said there so good at getting seperation at the top of there routes so defensive coordinators started doubling the outsides leaving the slot wr and te in man to man, vikings never did adjust.

So if i was being 100% honestly with myself id say this team has one good-great player and the rest are average, hope the vikings can prove me wrong with there RECORD next year. As a few others mentioned this season took alot out of fans, i will also be taking a break probably till pre-season. Everyone take care and ill see you guys next season.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:34 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:02 pm I agree on Jones. A 7th round pick isn't a hefty price by any means and the Vikings needed some depth on the Oline and Jones was/is a guy that even though he may not be great, he has experience playing different positions up front.

And with Iloka...I was signed for less than a million, so it was low risk, high reward. If he ended up providing a spark and being great, awesome! That wasn't the outcome though, but it didn't hurt the Vikings at all. They ended up going with Anthony Harris and it worked out and they found a replacement for Sendejo. No harm, no foul and it worked out for that position in the end.
Disagree completely. At some point Rick has to get backups that are better then our current backups, and the backups we have had for years. Problem is, Rick Doesnt know a good Olineman if one bit him in the a$$. Same with QB and WR. And maybe some backup D players that dont commit penalties at the worst time. I cant believe I was arguing in game chat about this with someone.
What are you disagreeing with, exactly?

That's what the offseason is for. Jones was a band-aid because of the injury to Elflein. A versatile one. They needed to do something and you can only obtain what's available and the Giants were dumping players all season...Most other teams weren't giving away Olinemen.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Interesting note
Kirk Cousins' contract is inevitably coming under fire with the Vikings missing the postseason, but he's not alone. The six highest-paid quarterbacks in terms of the average annual value of their contract in 2018 all missed the playoffs: Aaron Rodgers ($33.5M), Matt Ryan ($30M), Kirk Cousins ($28M), Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5M), Matthew Stafford ($27M), Derek Carr ($25M). Source: ESPN's Roster Management System.
Courtney Cronin espn
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

MrPurplenGold wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 pm Interesting note
Kirk Cousins' contract is inevitably coming under fire with the Vikings missing the postseason, but he's not alone. The six highest-paid quarterbacks in terms of the average annual value of their contract in 2018 all missed the playoffs: Aaron Rodgers ($33.5M), Matt Ryan ($30M), Kirk Cousins ($28M), Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5M), Matthew Stafford ($27M), Derek Carr ($25M). Source: ESPN's Roster Management System.
Courtney Cronin espn
This was my problem when Cousins rumors started. We don't need a billion dollar QB. No one does. You need a good one who has the intangibles that Cousins clearly doesn't have we could have saved at least $10 million per season had we retained Keenum.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:40 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Walsh had a great rookie year and only got worse under Priefer the longer he stayed.

Forbath struggled with PATs.

Dan Bailey missed 7 FGs this year, more than any in his career and that was only in 13 games. He was also hurt last year, otherwise he was never a 70% kicker.

Then there's Carlson who went from 0-3 under Priefer to making every kick 7 games in a row.

Then there's Kluwe (who was openly vocal about Priefer's coaching techniques), Quigley, and Locke.
Walsh's second best year was in his fourth season, so it wasn't all downhill. His rookie year was an abnormality and he had a history of being up and down in college. His senior year he only made 60% of his kicks. 60. He also sucked in Seattle, so I guess they should fire their STs coach too.

Dan Bailey was available for a reason. He was on the decline since 2015 and I believe this is what he is now.

Carlson was here for one game. Come on man.

Kluwe was a clown who actually improved under Preifer's coaching. He cared more about video games and his causes than football. Look at how many teams wanted him after we cut him!
So at best, Priefer is a horrible evaluator of talent. For that alone he should be gone.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:05 pm Did Iloka even play in the second half of the season?
The Brent Jones trade baffles me. You trade for a lineman and then never play him despite the horrendous play of who you did play? I get that we don't see practice, etc... But how bad can Jones, WHO YOU TRADED FOR, be? If our backups are so bad that they can't beat out who did play as poor as they did, what does that say about Spielman, who assembled this bunch? This isn't the first time they've traded for someone who didn't play either, especially on OL.
I think the Vikings had a couple of guys on the OL who didn't make the team and wound up playing quite a bit for other squads. In addition to these sort of gaffs, the glacial pace with which young guys are given an opportunity to play, even when they are backing up truly dismal players, is one of the worst aspects of the Zimmer era. Veteran players are just given too much time to under perform before we give someone else a chance to develop, and perhaps shine.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Courtney Cronin espn
This was my problem when Cousins rumors started. We don't need a billion dollar QB. No one does. You need a good one who has the intangibles that Cousins clearly doesn't have we could have saved at least $10 million per season had we retained Keenum.
The Vikings are tied to Cousins next year, but they should clearly be making plans for the following year. And no matter what Cousins is getting paid, every QB on the roster should be given a chance to dethrone him. If Sloter (for instance) gives us a better chance to win, he should be starting, and Kirk can sulk if he needs to.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Courtney Cronin espn
It is almost like paying a QB that much of the cap is a bad idea...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Courtney Cronin espn
Whoda thunk it?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Was anyone *truly* surprised this team blew it when it matter? After all, they still are the Minnesota Vikings ladies and gentlemen ;)

I am pretty much apathetic when the team loses at this point. I really didn't have strong feelings whatsoever after yesterday's result. I don't see the point of letting the Vikings ruin my actual life. That being said, I do have some emotion-filled takes from the year:

Offensively: It's still too early to judge Kirk Cousins entirely but, whatever, he blew his good graces as far as I am concerned. Offensive line was our downfall this season; shocking right? Embarrassing that the coaches kept trotting out Tom Comptom every week. Mike Remmers should be cut. O'Neil was solid for a rookie. Elflien isn't the answer at center. Riley was consistent. Still not sure Dalvin Cook is the answer at HB, but hard to express that with certainty given the state of this offensive line. Thielen disappeared down the stretch when we needed him the most. I still can never figure out why Diggs tends to disappear when we need him too. I praised the DeFillpo hiring in the offseason - boy was I duped. Holy hell, some of his plays were making me long for the Childress days (ok I am exaggerating)! Stefanski probably isn't the answer at OC, but screw it, he needs more time than 3 games - we will see. Also, I feel that should add, I think the Vikings limited themselves to four choices at QB this offseason and they were ALL the wrong answer. Maybe we should have pulled the trigger on trading for Nick Foles? Knowing our luck, he would have reverted to St. Louis Nick Foles.

Defensively: George Edwards needs to start doing the job he is hired to do: Call plays. Zimmer's ego and pride need to be checked at the door. I am tired of seeing the same soft zone coverage mixed with last-second backing off of pressure. I cannot help but feel the defense would perform better in certain scenarios if we brought consistent pressure and played man coverage. We still can't defend the run when it matters. Barr played like he was looking for a payday - I wouldn't be upset if we let him walk. Kendricks didn't live up to his contract this season hopefully he turns it around. Richardson was pretty a non-factor this year - he can walk. My favorite player since 2014 has been Everson Griffen, but, it may be time for us to move on. He looks like has lost a step. Xavier Rhodes definitely did not live up to his contract this season, hard to say why exactly. Trae Waynes is still an enigma to me - is he worth a big extension? Mackensie played much better this year. Hughes was playing well before he went down. Holton Hill did a fine job for the most part. I think our defense has been cracked. Not sure how much it will change given Zimmer's stubbornness. We'll see.

Special Teams: Abysmal. We cut Kai for Carlson who screwed us big time. Then instead of just bringing back Kai, we pony up for Dan Bailey who proceeds to underperform. It's been 5 years and we still can't get this kicking game figured out - ridiculous. Matt Wile actually was a pretty good punter for us, but why in the world was he designated as the holder if he had NEVER done it before in the NFL? Which reminds me...

Coaching: Mike Prefier needs to go. I can't help believe the team's kicking woes start and (mostly) end with Prefier. Zimmer is on the hot seat as far as I am concerned. I like the guy, but clearly he has issues with clock management, adjustments, challenges, and having the team prepared. Stefanski, as I mentioned above, deserves more time should the team stick with him as the OC. I think they should.

As far as the offseason goes I having a strong feeling it will be some more of the same. I am sure we will see a 'surprise' cut or two, and some guys that should be cut won't be. I suspect the offensive line to majorly neglected again. We will probably overpay Barr and/or Richardson. As far as the draft is concerned, we will pass on offensive line high again. Hope I am wrong.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Courtney Cronin espn
I'd pay Wilson that much. He would've made a difference on this team.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 pm
I'd pay Wilson that much. He would've made a difference on this team.
I remember Wilson in WIS during his college years. I really thought he was a good QB, and wanted him as a Vike. But I listened to the draft gods, talking heads, etc. and wondered if he was big enough to be a QB. He has everything I want in a QB. Smart, quick, makes reads fast, plays the option game in the NFL as well as any QB ive ever seen, good arm, accurate, and can run, which KILLS teams like the Vikings every single year. Instead we got Ricky, who knows NOTHING about QBs, overpaying for Cousins because everyone says it never happens, a franchise QB in FA. We now know why he was in FA.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I also wonder, who's call was it to hire Difilllipo.....a wet behind the ears coach with little experience and give him the reigns of our offense? He clearly worked to undermine the Head Coach, ignoring the coaches orders on national TV. I feel pretty certain he was hired with the blessing of Spielman and felt free to work against the wishes of the Head Coach. The way that debacle was allowed to continue for so long is blatant sign of the the failure of management AND Coaching. Zim seems unable/willing to really be a head coach and run both offense and defense even when he is being directly disobeyed.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 am I also wonder, who's call was it to hire Difilllipo.....a wet behind the ears coach with little experience and give him the reigns of our offense? He clearly worked to undermine the Head Coach, ignoring the coaches orders on national TV. I feel pretty certain he was hired with the blessing of Spielman and felt free to work against the wishes of the Head Coach.
I think he was just trying to figure out how to win games with a lousy offensive line. Zimmer picks his staff, with Spielman's blessing. They both interviewed Flip.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:08 am
chicagopurple wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 am I also wonder, who's call was it to hire Difilllipo.....a wet behind the ears coach with little experience and give him the reigns of our offense? He clearly worked to undermine the Head Coach, ignoring the coaches orders on national TV. I feel pretty certain he was hired with the blessing of Spielman and felt free to work against the wishes of the Head Coach.
I think he was just trying to figure out how to win games with a lousy offensive line. Zimmer picks his staff, with Spielman's blessing. They both interviewed Flip.
Have to wonder if JDF was thinking Cousins was athletic enough to run the RPO like in Philly. When that wasn't going to work, everything flew out the window..
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014