Will the Vikings make the playoffs?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Will the Vikings make the playoffs?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Oh what a difference a year makes. Last year at this time, we were flying high and almost had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. This year, as funny as it sounds, we may not even make the playoffs, the Packers have fired Mike McCarthy and the Bears are leading the division. So the question begs to be asked....will the Vikings find the fire and passion to win four games in a row to make the playoffs?

Well here goes as how I see it....

12/10 Vikings at Seattle....road game at Seattle which is a tough place to play. The Vikings, unlike last year, are finding it tough to
play on the road this year. Unlike at home, cannot find ways to not make mistakes and it is a totally
different offense when away from TDUS Bank Stadium. The offense and defense both play without any
fire or passion to make enough plays to win. Traditionally, Russell Wilson always gives the Vikings
headaches as well as the Seahawks defense against our offense. Coach Flip also calls the offense
different as well. Special teams has been a problem all year for the Vikings and this looks like another
game that could happen again. The Vikings have not convinced me that they want it bad enough
especially on the road this year. Final Score: Seahawks 24 Vikings 17

12/16 Dolphins at Vikes The Vikings open up strong with the defense and offense back at home. I see the Vikings winning this one.
Final Score: Vikings 27 Dolphins 17

12/23 Vikes at Lions Vikings get it done on the road against the Lions. Final Score: Vikings 24 Lions 20

12/30 Bears at Vikes This game I see going the Bears way. We again make too many mistakes and the Bears makes us pay.

Final score: Bears 27 Vikings 24

So in my final analysis, I have the Vikings missing the playoffs. We would get embarassed by the Rams, Saints, Cowboys, and the Bears...I am basing all of this on how the Vikings have played so far this year. I HOPE I AM WRONG....but the Vikings are who we think they are....
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Will the Vikings make the playoffs?

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

No, and thats a shame. Case had us so close to clicking on all cylinders, but the powers that be thought we should bring in a billion dollar QB, who I dont think has won a playoff game. I dont even know if Zimmer has won more then 1 playoff game as a coach.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I guess we'll see. I think they do. I think they beat both Seattle and Chicago, but what worries me is that everyone seems to have penciled in Detroit and Miami as automatic wins. Miami especially with be a tough game. It's not an easy 4-game stretch and even though everything seems do or die a this point, they still may be fine even losing one more time -- though I don't know if I feel the same way if they lose to Seattle since it's such pivotal conference game.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Once again, the teams that we wanted to lose are losing (or are about to lose): Carolina & the Redskins.

We also want the Cowboys to beat the Eagles this afternoon (tough as it is to cheer for the Cowboys).

But what matters most is that we take care of our business tomorrow night. Huge opportunity to advance our post-season prospects. We have to beat the Seahawks.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Yes, they will. Not by winning at Seattle, but by beating the Dolphins and winning in Detroit.

The Panthers have to play the Saints twice in their last 3 games and the Eagles (assuming they lose to the Cowboys) have games against the Rams and the Texans.

But I don't see them getting past the Wild Card round... :?
Tene Quod Bene
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I don't think that Miami is a given. They just beat New England today.
Bears are playing good football, they held the Rams to 6 points for a win.
If we going to make the playoffs were going to have to peak and make a run.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The Bears officially scare me. They shut down the most potent offense the league has seen in a long time and made it look like child's play.
Their offense is not very good so we will ee what happens in January but they are on a roll.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Vikes may end up backing into the playoffs with 8 or 9 wins if their competition for a wildcard spot keeps losing. If they beat Seattle tonight, maybe they can get on a roll and win out but I think they're likely to lose at least one more game, probably more. If the Bears have the division sewn up by the last week of the season, it's possible they'll rest some players and improve the Vikes chances to close out with a victory.

Based on how they've played this year, it's just hard to imagine the Vikings winning out and getting to 10 victories.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:42 am The Vikes may end up backing into the playoffs with or 8 or 9 wins if their competition for a wildcard spot keeps losing too. If they beat Seattle tonight, maybe they can get on a roll and win out but I think they're likely to lose at least one more game, probably more. If the Bears have the division sewn up by the last week of the season, it's possible they'll rest some players and improve the Vikes chances to close out with a victory.

Based on how they've played this year, it's just hard to imagine the Vikings winning out and getting to 10 victories.
It's not iut of the realm of possibility that Chicago could be playing for a first round bye. I believe they are only one game behind the Rams with three to play, and they have the tiebreaker, correct?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:12 am The Bears officially scare me. They shut down the most potent offense the league has seen in a long time and made it look like child's play.
Their offense is not very good so we will ee what happens in January but they are on a roll.
Yup. They have officially proven themselves in prime time against a very good team.

The Vikings might be able to back into the playoffs. They haven't beaten a team with a winning record yet this season so I don't have a ton of faith that they'll beat Seattle. I think they'll beat Miami and Detroit, lose to the Bears, and end up 2-2 to close out. That would make the record 8-7-1. The rest of the teams behind the Vikings are trending down mostly. The Redskins are missing their starting QB and have lost 4 straight. The Panthers have lost 5 straight and play NO twice in their last 3.

It might come down to playing the Bears in week 17 if the Redskins, Eagles, or Panthers can get it together. If the Bears are fighting for playoff seeding I don't know the Vikings can win.

I can't see the Vikings lasting past the first round if they do make it in. If they can't start beating decent/good teams leading up to the playoffs I can't see why they'd start winning once they got there. Beating Seattle tonight would go a long way towards bucking that trend.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:05 pm Once again, the teams that we wanted to lose are losing (or are about to lose): Carolina & the Redskins.

We also want the Cowboys to beat the Eagles this afternoon (tough as it is to cheer for the Cowboys).

But what matters most is that we take care of our business tomorrow night. Huge opportunity to advance our post-season prospects. We have to beat the Seahawks.
Yeah the Redskins are dead in the water at this point. It's going to be down to the Vikes, Philly and Carolina. However, both of those other teams look worse than we have lately.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purplepain2018 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:27 pm Oh what a difference a year makes. Last year at this time, we were flying high and almost had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. This year, as funny as it sounds, we may not even make the playoffs, the Packers have fired Mike McCarthy and the Bears are leading the division. So the question begs to be asked....will the Vikings find the fire and passion to win four games in a row to make the playoffs?
By the sounds of it, Case Keenum wouldnt be doing much better right now. At this rate, probably worse.
Keenum hasn't been the worst of the Broncos' problems, but his play also leaves the rest of the team zero margin for error since he's simply unable to deliver anything more than mediocre quarterbacking. There haven't been more than a couple worse starting quarterbacks in the league. Keenum is tied for the league lead with eight interceptions, and only Josh Allen and Marcus Mariota have worse passer ratings. Joseph and Keenum will go down with arms linked.
^and that was prior to them getting embarrassed by SF yesterday.

It's definitely a weird year. No matter what we have for talent, nothing is guaranteed. I mean the Eagles, Vikings and Jags all have a legit shot to miss the playoffs this year. That is 3/4 conference championship teams. And we arent in near the shape the Jags or in. Or even the Eagles at this point. Plus we have Philly beat head to head. I say we get in. But how we do is beyond me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:35 amIt's not iut of the realm of possibility that Chicago could be playing for a first round bye. I believe they are only one game behind the Rams with three to play, and they have the tiebreaker, correct?
I think they would need two more losses by the Rams but they do still have a chance to earn a first round bye.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 amIt's definitely a weird year. No matter what we have for talent, nothing is guaranteed. I mean the Eagles, Vikings and Jags all have a legit shot to miss the playoffs this year. That is 3/4 conference championship teams. And we arent in near the shape the Jags or in. Or even the Eagles at this point. Plus we have Philly beat head to head. I say we get in. But how we do is beyond me
It's really looking like one of those years where an 8 win team will make the playoffs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 amIt's definitely a weird year. No matter what we have for talent, nothing is guaranteed. I mean the Eagles, Vikings and Jags all have a legit shot to miss the playoffs this year. That is 3/4 conference championship teams. And we arent in near the shape the Jags or in. Or even the Eagles at this point. Plus we have Philly beat head to head. I say we get in. But how we do is beyond me
It's really looking like one of those years where an 8 win team will make the playoffs.
Oh I think so for sure. NFC is somewhat down this year. At least not as strong as last year. I dont want to speak too soon but (knock on wood) it would be awfully hard for us to miss the playoffs this year given who is behind us and who they have left on their schedule. The Panthers have the Saints, Falcons and Saints. And the Eagles have the Rams, Texans and Redskins (win). The tie is also helping us right now.
-Chazz Palminteri