Packers post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Packers post game thread

Post by mansquatch »

The Seahawk back 7 is not nearly what it was 4 years ago. Thomas is injured, Chancellor is retired, and Sherman is playing for SF. Michael Bennet is playing on the Eagles and Cliff Avril was released after a failed physical at the beginning of the season. That defense still makes plays, but the Legion of Boom days are over. Bobby Wagner is all the remains.

Offensively things are different. They are boasting what might be the strongest rushing attack in the NFL. So our defense will need to tighten up inside and play good contain against Wilson.

That game will be a great test.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:11 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm

How? He mentioned it in his presser he would consider coming back if something happened or if we needed him
That's because he didn't understand the rules.

According to an article on ESPN.com ...
Newman said he "wouldn’t have a choice" but to return to life as a player should injuries in the secondary call for it this season, but NFL rules don’t allow participation by club employees, unless that person is either signed to an NFL player contract for the current season or counted within the active list at the time of the roster reduction to 53 players. If such person is terminated via waivers or terminated unilaterally, or placed on the reserve list, after the roster reduction to 53 players, he cannot return to any club as a player in the same season.
Basically, he's ineligible to play this season.
Bummer :( Well at least Rhodes injury is considered "mild"
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:31 am The Seahawk back 7 is not nearly what it was 4 years ago. Thomas is injured, Chancellor is retired, and Sherman is playing for SF. Michael Bennet is playing on the Eagles and Cliff Avril was released after a failed physical at the beginning of the season. That defense still makes plays, but the Legion of Boom days are over. Bobby Wagner is all the remains.

Offensively things are different. They are boasting what might be the strongest rushing attack in the NFL. So our defense will need to tighten up inside and play good contain against Wilson.

Contain Wilson is #1. I hope Zim watches a lot of that playoff game from 2015 because we completely shut him down. Good rushing attack or not, their RBs are very underwhelming. As long as Joseph and Richardson do their job in the middle, these DE's should be able to contain Wilson. Zim HAS to watch that tape though. Because he figured that offense out completely that day. I know it's not the same exact offense, but from a "how did we contain Wilson standpoint", it will show a lot
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:31 am The Seahawk back 7 is not nearly what it was 4 years ago. Thomas is injured, Chancellor is retired, and Sherman is playing for SF. Michael Bennet is playing on the Eagles and Cliff Avril was released after a failed physical at the beginning of the season. That defense still makes plays, but the Legion of Boom days are over. Bobby Wagner is all the remains.

I agree with you on the Seahawk defense. Vikes should be able to move the ball on them. They are the 16th ranked defense overall. Not a great defense, but not a bad one either. But if the Vikings execute well and are focused for the entire game, they should be able to move the ball and score.

The Seattle rushing attack is good, but maybe not as dominant as the rushing totals suggest. They are averaging 4.6 a rush, which puts them at around 10th overall, but some of that comes from Wilson scrambles. The reason they lead the league in rushing yardage is because they've simply rushed it more than anyone else. I see the Seattle offense a lot like the Bears offense - competent, but their success revolves around the QB and his ability to extend plays by scrambling and rushing. Vikes clamped down well on Trubisky after the 1st half of the game against the Bears, and I see no reason why they can't do the same against Wilson. But they have to do it - they have to have a game plan that accounts for his ability to scramble. Defensive linemen have to remain disciplined in their rush, linebackers and dbs have to collapse quickly once Wilson leaves the pocket and looks to run.

First things first - Vikings have to get past the Patriots.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Good win.

Cousins played well. Still made a few bad decisions (taking that sack pushing them out of fg position was one) but the two things that he did well : didn't turn the ball over and he moved better in the pocket.

OL played well. Remmers did well in the 2nd level blocking a few times, so did pat.

JDF needs to get cook out in open space more.

Being able to apply pressure with only 4 is what makes this D really good. If they can keep doing that, the Vikings have a good chance.

Looks like Diggs will break 1000. He's the mvp of this offense imo. That 3rd down catch to seal the win. $
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:07 pmThe Seattle rushing attack is good, but maybe not as dominant as the rushing totals suggest. They are averaging 4.6 a rush, which puts them at around 10th overall, but some of that comes from Wilson scrambles. The reason they lead the league in rushing yardage is because they've simply rushed it more than anyone else.
Disagree.

Russell Wilson is averaging fewer than 3 carries per game and doesn't have a rushing touchdown. Meanwhile, they're getting 136.8 YPG from their running backs. It's not just Wilson.

Their rushing offense is good because it's legitimately good. They have three backs who have all surpassed 100 yards at least once this season. They do run the ball a lot -- they lead the league in rushing percentage -- but that has only made Russell Wilson better. The man is averaging 8.2 YPA and has 25 TDs in only 309 throws. He's throwing more from the pocket than at any point in his career, and his efficiency is off the charts (112.1 passer rating). Also, their offensive line ranks first in nearly every PFF category, including lowest percentage of pressures in the passing game and most running game metrics.

Chances are very good we're going to be underdogs in this game, especially if we lose to New England Sunday. Seattle is surprisingly good, and it's mostly because of their offense.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Good win.

Cousins played well. Still made a few bad decisions (taking that sack pushing them out of fg position was one) but the two things that he did well : didn't turn the ball over and he moved better in the pocket.

OL played well. Remmers did well in the 2nd level blocking a few times, so did pat.

JDF needs to get cook out in open space more.

Being able to apply pressure with only 4 is what makes this D really good. If they can keep doing that, the Vikings have a good chance.

Looks like Diggs will break 1000. He's the mvp of this offense imo. That 3rd down catch to seal the win. $
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:07 pmThe Seattle rushing attack is good, but maybe not as dominant as the rushing totals suggest. They are averaging 4.6 a rush, which puts them at around 10th overall, but some of that comes from Wilson scrambles. The reason they lead the league in rushing yardage is because they've simply rushed it more than anyone else.
Disagree.

Russell Wilson is averaging fewer than 3 carries per game and doesn't have a rushing touchdown. Meanwhile, they're getting 136.8 YPG from their running backs. It's not just Wilson.

Their rushing offense is good because it's legitimately good. They have three backs who have all surpassed 100 yards at least once this season. They do run the ball a lot -- they lead the league in rushing percentage -- but that has only made Russell Wilson better. The man is averaging 8.2 YPA and has 25 TDs in only 309 throws. He's throwing more from the pocket than at any point in his career, and his efficiency is off the charts (112.1 passer rating). Also, their offensive line ranks first in nearly every PFF category, including lowest percentage of pressures in the passing game and most running game metrics.

Chances are very good we're going to be underdogs in this game, especially if we lose to New England Sunday. Seattle is surprisingly good, and it's mostly because of their offense.
For years Seattle had a worse OL than we did, and they were able to fix it. Why can't we fix it?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 pm Disagree.

I can't accept the claim that Seattle is surprisingly good because of their offense. I'll accept the claim that Wilson isn't a huge contributor to their rushing attack, although I think his ability to scramble and keep plays alive does alter how defenses have to play against their run game. But I do agree that the Seahawks are a team that both can run the ball effectively and will run it effectively.

I'm basing my views on the following stats:

Seattle's overall offense is ranked 16th this year (by comparison, the Vikes are ranked 14th overall). Seattle is the 26th ranked passing offense, but the #1 ranked rushing offense by a country mile. They have almost 100 more rushing *attempts* than the #2 team.

Defensively, Seattle is also #16, tied at #13 against the pass with the Lions, #22 against the run, and somehow, in classic Pete Carroll the Magician fashion, somehow manages to be in the top ten in scoring defense at #8.

The Seahawks have over-performed this year. Maybe it is their division, maybe it is Maybelline, but whatever it is, nobody can convince me the 2018 Seahawks are a better team than the 2018 Vikings. The records say otherwise, and the game will be on the road, but just as with the Patriots, I think if the Vikings play a tight, clean game and execute well, they win against the Seahawks.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 pm Disagree.

I can't accept the claim that Seattle is surprisingly good because of their offense. I'll accept the claim that Wilson isn't a huge contributor to their rushing attack, although I think his ability to scramble and keep plays alive does alter how defenses have to play against their run game. But I do agree that the Seahawks are a team that both can run the ball effectively and will run it effectively.

I'm basing my views on the following stats:

Seattle's overall offense is ranked 16th this year (by comparison, the Vikes are ranked 14th overall). Seattle is the 26th ranked passing offense, but the #1 ranked rushing offense by a country mile. They have almost 100 more rushing *attempts* than the #2 team.

Defensively, Seattle is also #16, tied at #13 against the pass with the Lions, #22 against the run, and somehow, in classic Pete Carroll the Magician fashion, somehow manages to be in the top ten in scoring defense at #8.

The Seahawks have over-performed this year. Maybe it is their division, maybe it is Maybelline, but whatever it is, nobody can convince me the 2018 Seahawks are a better team than the 2018 Vikings. The records say otherwise, and the game will be on the road, but just as with the Patriots, I think if the Vikings play a tight, clean game and execute well, they win against the Seahawks.
Respect your opinion, man. Truly do. I also believe we're a better team. At least we have a better roster. And if you look at overall season totals and stats, Seattle is middling.

But if you look at how they're trending ... it's a different story.

I've watched them several times in the past few weeks on Sunday Ticket. It's only my uneducated analysis, but in my opinion, no offensive line is playing better RIGHT NOW than Seattle's. Granted, they started rough, but they're coming on. Their defense is just adequate, if that. Totally agree. But their offense is playing very well right now. They're running it (not so much against Carolina) and they're passing very efficiently. Their young receivers are playing at a level they weren't playing at earlier this year.

Let's put it this way. I know we're the better team. But playing a hot Seattle team IN Seattle, in that madhouse? I'd rather play New England.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm very much in tune with the Seattle Seahawks, regardless if I want to be or not and if you throw away their first two games, everyone might be singing a different tune about that team and they wouldn't be flying so far under the radar. I say this for a few reasons. One is that the first two games they played were outside of their identity. All offseason, Seattle wanted to go back to the MO of the Lynch + strong defense days, but they out of the chute, they threw the ball a ton and neglected the run game. Ever since then, they have made a concerted effort to run the ball with 3 different backs and they have done so very very well, which is part of the reason why they are 6-3 since that time. Secondly...it was the first two games, so it's not like I'm throwing out 2 games in the middle of the season somewhere. They have gotten better each week from week 3 on. Russell is as efficient as they come this year. 25:5 TD:INT ratio, but is near the bottom in attempts. He is also near the top in yards per attempt, so when they throw, they do so in chunks. The offensive line has been great.

The stats posted by VikingLord are deceiving. Per usual, they don't lie, but don't tell the whole story. If you've watched a lot of their games, you'd see what I mean.

The defense is also a strong unit that again keeps getting better and better. The young players in the secondary, especially. They still have the core LB's they had during their SB runs with Wright and Wagner who is criminally underrated and the best LB in the NFL. They don't have a great pass rush, but Frank Clark as an individual is one of the better at rushing the passer in the game right now, so they still have a way to get to the QB.

With all that said, I think the Vikings matchup very well with Seattle and all things considered, the Vikings are also the better team. Playing in Seattle is no joke and considering this will be in Seattle on Monday Night Football, it levels things out a bit. I think the Vikings will win the game, but it won't be easy.