Packers post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Packers post game thread

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Great win tonight. Defense looked good overall. Hope Rhodes is ok. Offense clicked well enough after a rough start. Diggs, Rudolph, and Thielen with some exceptional catches. Pass blocking outside of Remmers was solid. Tough games coming up. Seattle will have huge wildcard implications.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Packers post game thread

Post by purplehaze »

As a team. Our playoff chances went from zero to possible hero.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Yes good win but the puckers are depleted, but Erin is always a tuff out.
I don't know what is up with remmers he is not a good guard but Christ a traffic cone could get in someone's way more often.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Just once I want the Vikings to come out with fire. This time the adjustments worked but it's a different animal against Tom Brady.
IMO the first quarter was very flat. It seemed like the defense was slow. They got better but idk if that was because of the injuries the Packers had or if the Vikings got better.
I have to give a special shout out to Marcus Sherels. Without him our special teams would be horrific in the last few years. Imo he's the only reason priefer still has a job.
At some point you have to winder if he's partly responsible for the kicking woes. When you have the second most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL, and he misses five FGs, what else could it be?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

TE vikings are 4-1-1 in the last six games against GB.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Good win. It's good to see the defense do well against Rodgers.

Not sure how I feel about the offense. Especially the play calling in the first half.

Cousins looked good but his supporting cast looked better. Adam making ridiculous catches in coverage. Diggs getting wide open on a great route and how about that crazy catch behind him to seal it? Cook making people miss to get that awesome TD. Rudolph finally coming alive.

WTF with our kickers?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Awesome win! Shut down GB once again and Cousins outplays rodgers once again. By a mile.

Also, I watched the chat all night but didn’t respond. Nobody said much about Diggs deep catch in the endzone. Was that not a “Dez catch”? He caught it, had clear possession, took two steps then the ball came out when he hit the ground. Is that not a catch or am I missing something?

What makes no sense is how can a rb barely cross the plane and get it slapped out of his hands but be a TD but when a WR doesn’t that, two steps well into the endzone with possession and it’s no TD.

I don’t wanna hear the “Packers were depleted” excuse. We started a little flat but Cousins played excellent. And for those that say he’s “immobile” tonight showed that’s not the case. Also, some of you are saying “throw the ball” in the chat with some of those sacks. They were coverage sacks. Cousins doesn’t miss open guys very often. He does an excellent job going through progressions when he has the time. Coverage sacks happen. They are a thing. I’d rather take the sack then throw a pick. He can’t throw it away in the pocket and get intentional grounding.

Either way, give credit to where credit is due. Cousins was a stud tonight and now outplayed the “best in the game” twice this year. By a long shot no less
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Also, I’m still not a fan of Flip. I like how he ran more this game but seem like he was “trying too hard” early on. Just play football. Like Zim said, go back to basics. I’ve coached for 7 years now. Football and lacrosse. I can’t tell you how many coaches I’ve seen that overthink themselves. They try new things and try and do too much, and they are usually very unsuccessful. Just get the job done. Quit outdoing it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:09 am Awesome win! Shut down GB once again and Cousins outplays rodgers once again. By a mile.

Also, I watched the chat all night but didn’t respond. Nobody said much about Diggs deep catch in the endzone. Was that not a “Dez catch”? He caught it, had clear possession, took two steps then the ball came out when he hit the ground. Is that not a catch or am I missing something?

What makes no sense is how can a rb barely cross the plane and get it slapped out of his hands but be a TD but when a WR doesn’t that, two steps well into the endzone with possession and it’s no TD.

I don’t wanna hear the “Packers were depleted” excuse. We started a little flat but Cousins played excellent. And for those that say he’s “immobile” tonight showed that’s not the case. Also, some of you are saying “throw the ball” in the chat with some of those sacks. They were coverage sacks. Cousins doesn’t miss open guys very often. He does an excellent job going through progressions when he has the time. Coverage sacks happen. They are a thing. I’d rather take the sack then throw a pick. He can’t throw it away in the pocket and get intentional grounding.

Either way, give credit to where credit is due. Cousins was a stud tonight and now outplayed the “best in the game” twice this year. By a long shot no less
I agree Kirk played great 129.50 rating is pretty awesome. Gonna be reserved Kuz his record in prime time is I believe 5-13 after tonight. And again he beat a team that is sub .500. Kirk should take the defense out for dinner again tonight. Give the line a little credit too folks.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:12 am Also, I’m still not a fan of Flip. I like how he ran more this game but seem like he was “trying too hard” early on. Just play football. Like Zim said, go back to basics. I’ve coached for 7 years now. Football and lacrosse. I can’t tell you how many coaches I’ve seen that overthink themselves. They try new things and try and do too much, and they are usually very unsuccessful. Just get the job done. Quit outdoing it.
I agree and I think Zimmer is guilty of it too. Let your players play the game. Stop trying to outsmart everyone because it rarely works.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

First off, WE BEAT ERIN AND THE PACKERS!! That was a scream of elation. The 2 times I hate losing to are the Pukers and the "Here's your free pass to to the SB over the Viking" Saints. Sorry that Pete Morelli game will haunt me till my last breath.
Now that's out of the way. I have to say that I am still very glad that we have Cousins as our QB. As mentioned most of those sacks were coverage sacks and a smart decision on him. There were a few times he could have had time to throw the ball away, but for the most part he did the right thing. I was impressed at the way he used his feet to extend the play to get more yds or get his receiver open. Hes a smart QB. He is usually pretty accurate and we gott remember it's still his 1st season on a new team and a new system.
I am glad he FINALLY won in a prime time game. Maybe he will "Steve Young" it and Get that Monkey off my Back!!
Dalvin Cook is a stud and if he is able to stay healthy, hes gonna just keep getting better and better and become more of a weapon.
We have , to me, the most exciting receiving duo in the Lg. Thielen and Diggs continue to just AMAZE. Those 2 are special. They are unselfish, team players who both play with a ton of heart. Rudy is showing up more now , or I should say is getting the passes again, and he continues to make plays when needed.
When they are playing well, we have one of the top Defensive units around. If we can keep guys healthy and they stay hungry they can continue to keep us in games. Hunter is just an absolute stud and seems like if he continues, is gonna end up being in the most Elite ever group.
Ok now the bad. I dont think I even I have to comment on the O line to the members of this forum. Not having Morgan active is hurting us. He definitely makes a difference. Other than Elflein, and O Neil as he gets better, I dont view any of our lineman as considered good at even average. As mentioned on the chat last night, and I've said it so many times, Imagine what we could be with a great O line. It's time that we stop drafting defensively and start fixing the broken piece of the team.
Special teams, thank God we re signed Sherels. He is the glue of the special teams.
I wish someone could reverse this hex that has been placed on our kickers. I just don't get it. I truly question how Preifer is keeping his job.
Flip has been a huge disappointment. I really expected alot more. The playcalling is very unimaginative and very suspect in terms of the plays that are called in the situations they are called in.
I gotta agree with you guys talking about the overthinking. Zim and Flip need to stop with the We gotta establish this and establish that and just go out and call the game as it dictates. Ya know what I mean? Call what you need to call in the situation at hand during the game, not what you thought you decided you needed to do on Weds before the game.
This team, other than the O line, has SO much talent and ability. We should be sitting alot better than we are. But hey, the big thing is let's play ball, and get into the dance. Get in and hope to get hot and become a Philly story. I'm ok with that.
My final point, I dont care what anyone says, we NO DOUBT, have had the most unique and best TD celebrations since the rule change HANDS DOWN!! SKOL
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

First off, WE BEAT ERIN AND THE PACKERS!! That was a scream of elation. The 2 times I hate losing to are the Pukers and the "Here's your free pass to to the SB over the Viking" Saints. Sorry that Pete Morelli game will haunt me till my last breath.
Now that's out of the way. I have to say that I am still very glad that we have Cousins as our QB. As mentioned most of those sacks were coverage sacks and a smart decision on him. There were a few times he could have had time to throw the ball away, but for the most part he did the right thing. I was impressed at the way he used his feet to extend the play to get more yds or get his receiver open. Hes a smart QB. He is usually pretty accurate and we gott remember it's still his 1st season on a new team and a new system.
I am glad he FINALLY won in a prime time game. Maybe he will "Steve Young" it and Get that Monkey off my Back!!
Dalvin Cook is a stud and if he is able to stay healthy, hes gonna just keep getting better and better and become more of a weapon.
We have , to me, the most exciting receiving duo in the Lg. Thielen and Diggs continue to just AMAZE. Those 2 are special. They are unselfish, team players who both play with a ton of heart. Rudy is showing up more now , or I should say is getting the passes again, and he continues to make plays when needed.
When they are playing well, we have one of the top Defensive units around. If we can keep guys healthy and they stay hungry they can continue to keep us in games. Hunter is just an absolute stud and seems like if he continues, is gonna end up being in the most Elite ever group.
Ok now the bad. I dont think I even I have to comment on the O line to the members of this forum. Not having Morgan active is hurting us. He definitely makes a difference. Other than Elflein, and O Neil as he gets better, I dont view any of our lineman as considered good at even average. As mentioned on the chat last night, and I've said it so many times, Imagine what we could be with a great O line. It's time that we stop drafting defensively and start fixing the broken piece of the team.
Special teams, thank God we re signed Sherels. He is the glue of the special teams.
I wish someone could reverse this hex that has been placed on our kickers. I just don't get it. I truly question how Preifer is keeping his job.
Flip has been a huge disappointment. I really expected alot more. The playcalling is very unimaginative and very suspect in terms of the plays that are called in the situations they are called in.
I gotta agree with you guys talking about the overthinking. Zim and Flip need to stop with the We gotta establish this and establish that and just go out and call the game as it dictates. Ya know what I mean? Call what you need to call in the situation at hand during the game, not what you thought you decided you needed to do on Weds before the game.
This team, other than the O line, has SO much talent and ability. We should be sitting alot better than we are. But hey, the big thing is let's play ball, and get into the dance. Get in and hope to get hot and become a Philly story. I'm ok with that.
My final point, I dont care what anyone says, we NO DOUBT, have had the most unique and best TD celebrations since the rule change HANDS DOWN!! SKOL
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Sorry accidently posted twice. A win over the Packers affects me for the whole next day!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I don't think the OL played that bad yesterday. They had their moments but cousins had time too, and Murray had some nice runs. I'm not saying they played well but they were better than they have been for sure.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Super glad to beat the Packers. There's little else more satisfying in sports.

Cousins may have played his best game of the season. I think his willingness to run made a huge difference. Yes, he'll be more sore than usual today, but the threat of him running the ball led to completions he otherwise wouldn't have made, such as the TD to Thielen. He ran the offense with precision, audibled when he needed to, made solid reads, and threw the vast majority of balls with accuracy. He also wasn't close to a turnover, which is key.

Adam Thielen is amazing. He just keeps getting open and coming up with great plays. Chris Collinsworth's "not very athletic" comment was absolutely ridiculous. Adam is the very definition of an athlete. Stefon Diggs played great last night, as well. I love that we had him run the ball a couple of times. Getting him the ball in space is so important. He's so good with the ball after the catch. Good to see Kyle Rudolph as an important part of the offense. He had become a forgotten man lately.

In my view, the defense played well except for the two drives in the first half. Other than that, Rodgers did very little, and they harassed the heck out of him. Four sacks is great, but I loved how they forced him into several errant throws. Aaron Jones got a few yards, but nothing huge. Holding a Rodgers-led Green Bay offense to 254 yards and 17 points is an accomplishment. Sheldon Richardson had his best game as a Viking with 7 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 TFL.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but the O-line, while not spectacular, played pretty well in the passing game. Cousins wasn't hit or pressured all that much, and that's against a team that came in 3rd in the league in sacks. Yes, Remmers had an ... interesting play with the matador move late in the game, but the O-line mostly held up. It still bothers me that we can't get a true running game going, but I suppose we'd better get used to that.

Kicking ... hard to know what to say. I agree with those who say the common denominator is Mike Priefer. What else could it be?

I hate that we allowed Green Bay to be in this game. We left a lot of points on the field -- again -- last night. Moving the ball is great. Scoring is what needs to happen. We missed out on at least 13 points last night, which would have made the fourth quarter pretty much inconsequential. As it was, a successful onside kick could have doomed us in a game we should have won easily.

Now the attention turns to New England. I'm not going to say it's a game we should win, but I'll say it's a game we CAN win. They are more vulnerable than they've been in recent years, in spite of their 8-3 record. We need to tackle well. I can't imagine they can hit a lot of deep passes against our defense, but they get the ball out quick, so it's important to tackle well. We also have to stop the run. They've quietly become a pretty respectable running team this year, so you can't just fly in there and rush Brady. They'll be favored, as they should be, but if we can stop the run and avoid turnovers, we'll have a chance.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.