3rd and long

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

3rd and long

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So, I've been watching YouTube videos of the Viking games from 1998. Everytime the Vikings are in 3rd and long for the last 10+ years, they do a dumb draw play or throw it two yards to a slow tight end who gets tackled immediately. In 1998, Cunningham threw to the sticks every time. And you know what, they picked it up almost every time. I get being worried about a pick or big loss, but when you have Thielen and Diggs, that is comparable to Carter and moss to me. Conservative, play to not lose rather than to win, or whatever you want to call it doesn't work. I hate it. I get the reasons and all the #### that people say, but I will always believe that the aggressive teams will win over the conservative teams 99 times out of 100. It's just gutless and tells the team you have no cknfidence in them.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: 3rd and long

Post by PacificNorseWest »

They might be in a rut lately...Actually, I know they are. Earlier in the season I was confident on them being able to convert 3rd and longs and they did at a very good rate from my recollection. As of late, their execution has been way off and it seems that most of the time on 2nd downs (where they ultimately put themselves in 3rd and long situations) it is because of a negative play. When the offense isn't humming, I think sometimes DeFilippo is trying to limit the damage because the offense hasn't given him any reason to believe they can execute on 3rd and long (line holding up, Kirk not fumbling/forcing a pass, etc.) They're just not in a groove right now like they were earlier in the season.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Third and longs are more complicated to convert. Coaches usually play the field position game and pick a safe play. Others put the ball in their playmakers hands and trust them to convert. Sometimes they hand it off and end up converting anyway LIKE COHEN DID ON 3 AND 23 :wallbang:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Third and long conversions aren't important to winning football games. Not getting in third and long is.

Teams with the most 3rd and longs in the NFL this season:
CLE
BUF
NYJ
WAS
DAL
NYG

Teams with the Lowest 3rd and long conversion percentage:
CAR
HOU
GB
DAL
CIN
NO

The Vikings under Zimmer have been under 20% converting every year but 2014, the year they arguably had their best offensive line under Zim.

The Christian Ponder lead 2012 team had the highest conversion rate this decade at 25.8% and the Bradford lead 2016 team had the lowest at 14%. This year's team is currently sitting at 18.1%, below the league average of 20.2%, but ahead of the Saints somehow.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 pm Third and long conversions aren't important to winning football games. Not getting in third and long is.

Teams with the most 3rd and longs in the NFL this season:
CLE
BUF
NYJ
WAS
DAL
NYG

Teams with the Lowest 3rd and long conversion percentage:
CAR
HOU
GB
DAL
CIN
NO

The Vikings under Zimmer have been under 20% converting every year but 2014, the year they arguably had their best offensive line under Zim.

The Christian Ponder lead 2012 team had the highest conversion rate this decade at 25.8% and the Bradford lead 2016 team had the lowest at 14%. This year's team is currently sitting at 18.1%, below the league average of 20.2%, but ahead of the Saints somehow.
True but it is still frustrating. I would like to see them try more. Btw what was it last year fir the vikes? It seemed like Keenum picked yp a few of them by throwing down field.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

It was a little lower than this season at 17.7. You have to remember though, that when you have a big lead, or the defense is playing well, the play calling will be less aggressive.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If Zimmer's offenses aren't doing well in 3rd and long, then I attribute that mostly to a lack of adequate preparation. That doesn't mean Zimmer's teams overall aren't prepared (although this year, they've looked that way several times), but they may not be as prepared for situational football like 3rd-and-long against their immediate opponent. When I see a QB who is flailing on 3rd-and-long and who doesn't look comfortable, yes, some of that may be the defense and their pressure, but more often than not I think the QB simply isn't prepared for the defense he's facing, and therefore the defense ends up dictating the situation to the QB and not the other way around. Cousins sure looked that way when he faced the Bills and the Bears this year. Two good defenses for sure, but no way he should have gotten owned like he did by either of them.

Yes, the offensive line blew it sometimes, but Cousins had clean pockets too and still made some really questionable and poor throws. There have been several games like this so far this season where the offense flounders for most of the first 3 quarters before they finally start to light things up. I'm not sure that is all on Cousins, but a prepared QB can make up for a lot of deficiencies.