O-Line vs. QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

O-Line vs. QB

Post by purplehaze »

After tonight's loss to the Bears so what would you think had more of an impact for this loss? Is it 50/50? Even Zim in his post game press conference said yeah the 0-line could have played better but there were times Kirk had plenty of time. He said no QB in the league gets protected all the time.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: O-Line vs. QB

Post by PurpleMustReign »

purplehaze wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am After tonight's loss to the Bears so what would you blame more for this loss? Is it 50/50? Even Zim in his post game press conference said yeah the 0-line could have played better but there were times Kirk had plenty of time. He said no QB in the league gets protected all the time.
He's right but he's also deflecting blame. I believe he is responsible for drafting defense high for the last few years when it was obvious the OL needed help.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 am
purplehaze wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am After tonight's loss to the Bears so what would you blame more for this loss? Is it 50/50? Even Zim in his post game press conference said yeah the 0-line could have played better but there were times Kirk had plenty of time. He said no QB in the league gets protected all the time.
He's right but he's also deflecting blame. I believe he is responsible for drafting defense high for the last few years when it was obvious the OL needed help.
This. Oline has to be a priority. Remmers has to go. His salary is obscene. We let WItzman go and he played damn good tonight. We do not know what an olineman looks like.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 am
Yeah I agree he is spreading the blame but from what I saw tonight I would place more blame on Cousins. I would go 60/40. I saw plenty of drop backs where he had plenty of time to throw the ball. Just my observation. Granted, my vision was a little blurred a little the 2nd half. Edit: Not sure about Flips game plan. We need to throw to open up run not vice versa.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Tonight, I'd say 50/50. Buy I am less and less impressed with Kirk lately especially his accuracy. I thought that was his strength, especially his deep ball. But his overthrow to Diggs was one if ghe worst throws I've seen a Viking QB make in many years.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The offensive line was really bad tonight. The Bears just shut down any semblance of a running game, and got frequent and early pressure on Cousins. He never got comfortable and winged a few really bad passes.

As far as Zimmer goes, it looked to me like the Bears were far better prepared and wanted it much more. This continued a disturbing pattern of road games where the offense looks completely inept for 3+ quarters while the defense has to fight to keep them in the game, and then the offense seemingly wakes up and has to hope for a prayer. It is getting kind of old.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

84 million to beat teams with sub .500 records? I hope this is not a trend.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Tonight? 50/30/20 broken down between OL, JDF, and Cousins. Forget protection issues for a moment, which were huge, we had 22 yards rushing. You're not winning games with your RBs getting hit behind the LOS. It's makes the game one dimensional and allows guys like Mack to wreck. It makes red zone scoring exponentially harder.

We didn't lose this game based on tonight, the bye, or even the beginning of the season. We lost this game in April. This team had one glaring weakness and it's egregious to continue to turn a blind eye to it. We don't need a gaggle of 1st round picks in our secondary, Patrick Peterson in a trade, or another expensive D-lineman. We need a god damn offensive line and we've needed one for years. A real commitment. Not Tom Compton and Coby Gossett (who isn't even on the team anymore so great pick there) type pickups. Real commitment.

Until that happens this team will wallow in an above average-decent ceiling. You can bring Tom Brady in here and he's not doing squat with 22 yards rushing and unobstructed freebie hits on the QB. Spielman and Zimmer need their feet held to the fire, this is 100% a mismanagement issue.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I put most of this, and the other losses, right on our GM, Rick. Ever since he has been here we have had poor Olines. Even with AD we had bad lines. I just cant imagine spending that much on a QB, and not having a good line for him to play behind. Its really getting old, year after year we have a poor Oline, and Rick tries to fix it with a Remmers or Reiff. Sad.

Cousins hasnt been that great either. Tonight he said he didnt play well, and the INTs, even the pick-6, were his fault, because of bad read. Whens hes not fumbling, hes throws INTs. I sure hope we get play from him that equals his pay check.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I know some of you can, but I can't blame the OL for Cousins throwing the pick 6. It was into triple coverage. He also made several poor decisions on very important 3rd downs.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 am I know some of you can, but I can't blame the OL for Cousins throwing the pick 6. It was into triple coverage. He also made several poor decisions on very important 3rd downs.
Kirk said the same thing in his press conference. Thee Oline is the main problem, but Kirk seems uninspired lately. Even Zimmer said he should have just ran for a few first downs. Kirk has to learn to slide like Trub though.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:16 am Tonight? 50/30/20 broken down between OL, JDF, and Cousins. Forget protection issues for a moment, which were huge, we had 22 yards rushing. You're not winning games with your RBs getting hit behind the LOS. It's makes the game one dimensional and allows guys like Mack to wreck. It makes red zone scoring exponentially harder.

We didn't lose this game based on tonight, the bye, or even the beginning of the season. We lost this game in April. This team had one glaring weakness and it's egregious to continue to turn a blind eye to it. We don't need a gaggle of 1st round picks in our secondary, Patrick Peterson in a trade, or another expensive D-lineman. We need a god damn offensive line and we've needed one for years. A real commitment. Not Tom Compton and Coby Gossett (who isn't even on the team anymore so great pick there) type pickups. Real commitment.

Until that happens this team will wallow in an above average-decent ceiling. You can bring Tom Brady in here and he's not doing squat with 22 yards rushing and unobstructed freebie hits on the QB. Spielman and Zimmer need their feet held to the fire, this is 100% a mismanagement issue.
If you are going to blame jdf you need to group Zimmer and spielman as well. This off season was an epic fail when it comes to the OL. Yes we got O'Neil but what else? There were veterans available and we chose to work the defense and horrifically over pay an average QB. Washington is probably laughing their #### off at us.
I am so sick of having the same problems year in and year out. It is impossible to have an elite defense anymore and Zimmer and spielman refuse to acknowledge that.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How would the game have turned out if Cousins hit Diggs for the TD in the beginning of the game, instead of over throwing him?
We're only going to go as far as the offensive line will take us. And as you can see from tonight,we're not going far.
I blame Rick and Zimmer.
What I find sad is we even had a week to prepare.

Bears had pretty good protection of their QB.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

halfgiz wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:34 am How would the game have turned out if Cousins hit Diggs for the TD in the beginning of the game, instead of over throwing him?
We're only going to go as far as the offensive line will take us. And as you can see from tonight,we're not going far.
I blame Rick and Zimmer.
What I find sad is we even had a week to prepare.

Bears had pretty good protection of their QB.
Your first sentence is why I blame Cousins for a lot of last night. No nfl QB should ever miss a WR who is that open. He wasnt accurate until garbage time. He's mightily struggled for a few weeks now.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

purplehaze wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am After tonight's loss to the Bears so what would you think had more of an impact for this loss? Is it 50/50? Even Zim in his post game press conference said yeah the 0-line could have played better but there were times Kirk had plenty of time. He said no QB in the league gets protected all the time.
50/50 sounds about right to me. The run blocking was brutal and Cousins was equally brutal. His INTs were inexcusably bad choices/throws and he looked tentative and off his game all night.

Together they were 100% awful. ;)