Lions post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Lions post game thread

Post by Maelstrom88 »

What a day for the defense! Hunter is awesome. Too bad the offense didn't click better to get Thielen another 100 yard day. Now rest up and come out of the bye ready to claim the north! :smilevike:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Lions post game thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I thought our defense started a bit slow but boy did they pick things up. Great game by Hunter and Tom Johnson.
Matthew Stafford has got to be onrle of the most overrated players, not just QBs, but players in league history. I don't understand why he gets so much attention.
Is he up to 60 sacks against the Vikings?

I am growing concerned about Kirk cousins. His decisions have been poor, his timing has been off and his accuracy has been anything but in the last few weeks. I hope he can get his game fixed. We didn't pay him $84 million to play like he has.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think Diggs being out really hurt the offense. Having been in New England I'm sure Patricia knows all about taking away your opponents number one weapon. With Diggs being out they were able to tottaly commit to taking Thielen out and no one else worried them that much.
mael·strom

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Hats off to the defense for a record breaking game.
Thought the offense should have put more points up.
Good to see Cook back and have a nice 70 yard run. :rock:
But aside from that run we only had 58 yards rushing.
Treadwell lead our receiving with 2 catches for 37 yards.
MegatronFozzy
Waterboy

Post by MegatronFozzy »

Aside from the spectacular defense and Cousins’ less-than-basic performance, Wile has been tremendous as our punter. He deserves credit as well.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:05 pm Hats off to the defense for a record breaking game.
Thought the offense should have put more points up.
Good to see Cook back and have a nice 70 yard run. :rock:
But aside from that run we only had 58 yards rushing.
Treadwell lead our receiving with 2 catches for 37 yards.
I think that speaks to how much our run game has improved with 2 starting quality running backs.

Cook and Murray can be equated to a Thunder and Lightning combo not unlike Murray & McKinnon last year. I sincerely hope we keep both.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

MegatronFozzy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm Aside from the spectacular defense and Cousins’ less-than-basic performance, Wile has been tremendous as our punter. He deserves credit as well.
:appl: :banana: He set the defense up well a few times today and deserves recognition. :ripple:
mael·strom

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Good game. The offense was disappointing, but the defense looks to back to what we all know and love. Bring on the Bears!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

10 sacks! What are we calling these guys? I heard Maul of America thrown around. Not bad, I don't know I have nothing witty.. but what a front four! And not just the sacks, great at recognizing the screens and staying at home when needed. Also, at least 4 of those were coverage sacks so kudos to the secondary.

Having Reiff back was nice. O'Neill gave up a few pressures and had at least one bad penalty but he had another good game. I guess Compton is our best guard because wow Isidora is bad. I'm glad the offense was able to move the ball on the ground.

Treadwell/Robinson/Beebe did a nice job of collectively filling in for Diggs. I could definitely see Beebe in that Jarius Wright, Mr 3rd down role.

Hopefully Diggs, Thielen, Reiff, Remmers, Barr, Rhodes (good grief it's getting harder to keep track) can recover fully over the bye.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Wilson had a nice game. Hope we get Barr back after the bye, but I will be okay if he is a cap casualty at the end of the season.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Didn't Cousins go 18 for 22? But he's getting stick?

In the end he threw well. One, could of been a costly mistake. But apart from that, he played well with the attempts he was given.

D was much better. The front four took advantage of a favourable matchup and did a fine job, and the secondary performed admirably.
One thing is clear with the Defence, it looks better with Wilson out there. I'm not a fan of Barr at all. For me, he's great in pass rushing, but the rest of his game is bang average. But i thought to replace him for the better, we'd have to look outside of the organisation. I'm not saying Wilson is a better player, but he's a adequate replacement. That will save us lots in cap room.
Bye week now, time for the injured to rest up. Hopefully we don't lose this momentum going into the Chicago game!
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

Finally being able to knock the Lions off at home is the perfect way to start the bye week.

The defense seems to be clicking and doing what they should be doing to less inferior opponents. The defense put on a record setting performance. The bye is a chance to get everyone healthy and positioned to make a serious run.

I'm patiently waiting for the offense to get into their stride. It sucks as soon as Cook comes back, Diggs goes out.

The offense potentially can be elite in my opinion. However, the offensive line will need to continue their contribution by keeping captin Kirk upright, Kirk not needing to force passes to Adam, and getting Cook and Murray to run; which opens up more possibilities for the entire offense.

Defense against the kitties: A÷
Offense against the kitties: B-

Cheers
Boomer Sooner
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

UKno1VIKING wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 am Didn't Cousins go 18 for 22? But he's getting stick?

In the end he threw well. One, could of been a costly mistake. But apart from that, he played well with the attempts he was given.
And he threw a perfect deep ball to Aldrick which should have been 1st and goal inside the 5. The INT was bad but he clearly learned after that not to force throws to Thielen with Diggs out.

Shout out to Beebe and Treadwell, though, those guys were solid with Diggsy out.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

A win is always good especially against the Lions. But take away Hunters TD and our offense didn't even score 21 points...We need to do better than that.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This was my annual trip to Minneapolis for a game, and the Vikes did not disappoint.

Our seats are so good (we always buy from a friend who's a season ticket holder, so they're always in the same spot). They're 40 rows up in the end zone, so we get the most perfect all-22 view. Here's what I saw.

The sacks started with the DBs.
Stafford was repeatedly forced to hold the ball a LONG time, and that's because the guys in our defensive backfield played their butts off. Big shout out to Trae Waynes, who was rarely thrown at because he was blanketing his man. A shout to Xavier Rhodes, as well, who toughed it out despite not being 100%. Safeties were solid. Even Mack Alexander was in good position most of the time.

They continued with the interior of the Vikings defense.
Joseph, Richardson and Johnson collapsed the pocket time after time, forcing Stafford sideways and into the waiting arms of Hunter and Griffen. Even with 5 sacks between Hunter and Griffen, I can't tell you how many times the Vikings DEs nearly got home in addition to those, and it's because of the interior. They were completely dominant.

Individually, Griffen and Hunter are great. Together, they're downright scary.
They're both just so relentless. When it was an obvious passing situation, they got pressure nearly every down. I'd love to see the pressure stats. Those have to be off the charts. Stafford not only got sacked 10 times, he had a ton of throwaways and bad passes due to pressure. I have to wonder where we'd be if Griffen hadn't missed all those games. Oh well. can't change the past. But I like the future with this defense.

Offensively, the loss of Diggs really hurt.
Detroit focused a lot of attention on Thielen, and to be honest, the others weren't gaining much separation. Bebe did an OK job on the plays he was in there, and Treadwell had a couple of catches early, but not much else. Most plays, Nevin Lawson worked against Thielen with Glover Quin doubling. That made it pretty tough for Adam to get open. Darius Slay was then left to cover the #2, and he did his usual great job. Slay did have a pick intended for Thielen, but he honestly didn't cover Adam that much. If Diggs had been in the game, they couldn't have doubled Thielen without paying a penalty.

The running game looked mostly solid.
Except for Cook's 70-yard run, which sort of came out of nowhere, I thought Murray was actually better on the other carries. He really does a great job between the tackles and doesn't mess around. When he sees a hole, he hits it for as much as he can get. He got pretty loose with the ball on that first TD, so he needs to clean that up. Cook showed the burst, however, on that 70-yard run. The stadium posted that it was the fastest (by mph) anyone ran all day, more than 22 mph.

Overall, this is a perfect week for the bye. We really need the time to heal up. Big game coming up in two weeks. I don't see the Bears losing to the Lions, but it's in Detroit, so you never know.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.