Jets Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Jets Postgame Thread

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:44 pm I'll take +4 in the turnover department any day.
That's on the defense. Not much of it has anything to do with Kirk.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 pm That's on the defense. Not much of it has anything to do with Kirk.
I'd say +4 overall on a windy day has a lot to do with the QB not throwing ints.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 pm That's on the defense. Not much of it has anything to do with Kirk.
Wow.

First it's the O-line. The Vikings rush for 195, so then it's Cousins and his fumbles. Cousins comes out of a very windy day against a tough defense with no turnovers, 2 TDs, and a 20-point road victory, but that's not good enough.

It's a 20-point road win. Those don't happen often. Try celebrating once in awhile.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I want to give a shout out to Matt Wile.

This guy averaged 47.8 yards in very difficult conditions and had 4 punts inside the 20. He flipped field position time after time, including a huge 63-yard punt from his own 1-yard-line.

It hasn't been often over the past few years that our punter has been really good, but Wile certainly was today. :beerock:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm I want to give a shout out to Matt Wile.

This guy averaged 47.8 yards in very difficult conditions and had 4 punts inside the 20. He flipped field position time after time, including a huge 63-yard punt from his own 1-yard-line.

It hasn't been often over the past few years that our punter has been really good, but Wile certainly was today. :beerock:
I agree. He had an awesome day and flipped field position going both directions. I think he had two 60+ yard punts
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 pm Wow.

First it's the O-line. The Vikings rush for 195, so then it's Cousins and his fumbles. Cousins comes out of a very windy day against a tough defense with no turnovers, 2 TDs, and a 20-point road victory, but that's not good enough.

It's a 20-point road win. Those don't happen often. Try celebrating once in awhile.
1. A good defense without their starting DBs
2. A team we should beat

I'm not downplaying the win. However, Cousins didn't play great despite our points. He would admit it to you. Our turnovers should have lead to more points and we often had stalled drives. I have already pointed out the ways he played poorly. Care to address those points?

BTW, I never blamed Cousins for the fumbles and I have never stop pointing out that our oline is an issue. We still cannot consitently run the ball. Way too many hits in the backfield and 1 yard gains. I'm not satisfied in beating the Jets. I am thinking about playoffs and I see things that need to be fixed or we will be adding yet another non-championship season to our record. It's ok to say something related to the Vikings was bad. Not everything is perfect.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Crax wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:00 pm I'd say +4 overall on a windy day has a lot to do with the QB not throwing ints.
Not throwing INTs =/= had a good game is my point.
Kirk didn't play well. Face it.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:44 pmHe looked really ginger coming off the field.
He looked like a redhead?
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blown non-call on the delay of game by the Jets on that pass that got them down to the one yard line before they scored their last TD. Clock was clearly at double zero for half a count before they snapped the ball. I paused the damn play when it was at double zero and the center hadn't even started to move the damn ball. It was obvious live, and even more obvious on replay. WTF‽ That should be automatic you terrible officiating crew! Luckily, it didn't matter, but seriously, WTF‽
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

ChicagoViking wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blown non-call on the delay of game by the Jets on that pass that got them down to the one yard line before they scored their last TD. Clock was clearly at double zero for half a count before they snapped the ball. I paused the damn play when it was at double zero and the center hadn't even started to move the damn ball. It was obvious live, and even more obvious on replay. WTF‽ That should be automatic you terrible officiating crew! Luckily, it didn't matter, but seriously, WTF‽
I never trust the play clock on the screen. I've seen times where it stopped on 12 seconds for a few seconds and I've seen it not move at all. For the most part the refs had a good game so I am trusting their judgement.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

ChicagoViking wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:18 pm He looked like a redhead?
Full chameleon mode! Uncanny stuff.

I noticed the delay of game too. And the false start (on the same play). Wifey thought I had turrette's with the random cussing I did on that play.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

In hindsight I can't remember when I was so disgusted with a 20 point win. The game definitely felt closer and if not for a rookie QB, we might not have won at all.
Cousins had his worst game IMO after the initial drive. OL was lousy but I'm used to that. I've had 3 years to get used to it. The team lacks speed. Murray is serviceable but he doesn't strike fear into defense. He did have some big runs yesterday in the 2nd half. Like Leroy Hoard having a good day.
Nice to see the CFL Z man get into the game. Same for Boone and Thomas. Looking at this team realistically, 9-10 wins. Nothing special. I feel like Saints beat us by 14-17 points. Hope I'm wrong.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Just did a breakdown of Cousins' stats by quarter:

1st quarter (with wind):
6/8, 68 yards, 1 TD

2nd quarter (against wind):
6/15, 36 yards

3rd quarter (against wind):
7/10, 71 yards

4th quarter (with wind):
5/7, 66 yards, 1 TD

The big issue was transitioning from the 1st quarter with the wind to the 2nd quarter against the wind. It seemed like Flip wanted to be really conservative because the 2nd quarter was when he had Cousins throwing a bunch of stuff at or before the LOS and none of it was working. Both he and Cousins seemed to adjust for the 3rd quarter because Cousins was throwing more intermediate stuff and led a 74 yard drive that ended with a Murray TD run. Aside from that, we threw deep when the wind was at our back - which is always a good move. In a close game, Cousins would have had 300+ yards because we would have kept throwing in the 4th quarter with the wind.

All things considered (also taking into account how poorly Darnold and his WRs played), that was a solid game from Cousins. Well, except for that backwards pass/fumble - that was a classic Vikings-in-the-4th-quarter-of-a-playoff-game move and it needs to be cleaned up.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 pm Not throwing INTs =/= had a good game is my point.
Kirk didn't play well. Face it.
Face what? That you made a stupid comment trying to do the same thing you do every week?

We were specifically talking about turnover differential which according to you above is somehow only about defense. I said nothing about kirk specifically having a good/bad game overall. Kirk played ok, I never said great, but I wouldn't say terrible either as terrible would be what happened on the other team.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If 250 yards, 2TD/0INT, and a 95.9 passer rating in windy conditions is him playing badly - Cousins is definitely a keeper. I can only imagine what you think his ceiling must be.