Eagles Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Eagles Postgame Thread

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I just pray that Cousins is able to stay healthy. He really is the real deal. He doesn't panic under pressure and most of the time throws some unbelievably accurate passes, but man is taking alot of hits.
Every time i see someone speed rush or blitz on Hill my toes curl up and i about break my teeth clenching my jaw. I just dream of what he could do with a line of old timers like the likes of McDaniel, Laudermilk, Zimmerman, Christie , Big Dave , Stringer P.I.P. Stueisse etc . Oh my, With studs like that and the weapons he has, plus the holes they could open for a healthy Cook.. well.. no i have a gut ache.
Bottom line, i just wish we could get a running game going and keep our Stud Q.B. off the ground.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Going back to the prevent defense thing... I agree with the concept but the middeo was way too open and has way too much room to run. Yes it was all in bounds but put up a little fight. I hate the prevent defense and always will.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

TSonn wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 am Totally a moot point, but could we have challenged the call that Rudolph stepped OB on his catch and run near the end of the game?

The play is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jlXywo ... u.be&t=146

I know they showed an angle on the broadcast where it "looked" like he stepped out, but I don't think he did. The step in question is this one (https://imgur.com/a/J2BozA3) and it seems like there's a sliver of grass between his foot and the sideline.

Buck and Aikman didn't really talk about it much, but it looks like we could've had the ball at the 20 instead of the 40.
I thought the same thing. Buck and Aikman assumed he stepped out, but only his toe touched down -- not his heel. Looked very much like he may have stayed in bounds to me.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm Going back to the prevent defense thing... I agree with the concept but the middeo was way too open and has way too much room to run. Yes it was all in bounds but put up a little fight. I hate the prevent defense and always will.
Prevent is dumb when you are up by 1-8 points. When you are up by 9 or more it makes perfect sense since it consumes the other team's two most important resources: Time and Time Outs.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am Prevent is dumb when you are up by 1-8 points. When you are up by 9 or more it makes perfect sense since it consumes the other team's two most important resources: Time and Time Outs.
It took them like a minute to score. Idk. I think it made it too easy.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am Prevent is dumb when you are up by 1-8 points. When you are up by 9 or more it makes perfect sense since it consumes the other team's two most important resources: Time and Time Outs.
Except it didn't. I'm all good with prevent under the circumstances, but as I mentioned before, they made it way too easy for Philadelphia to score. In all likelihood, it comes down to the onside anyway; however, they put no pressure on Philly in the redzone to make it harder on them. The clock didn't run and they scored on a first down immediately when they got down there. Had Philly recovered, they had over a minute to what they needed to get into FG range and win that game. When you play prevent, the whole idea is to bend not break. Teams even do it when it takes only 1 TD to be them, which is why in the redzone, the clamps are supposed to be tightened. Instead, the Vikings rolled out the red carpet.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

That is because the TD didn't matter. When you are up by 9 you don't care if they score once, you care if they score twice. So you do what you can to ensure they take AS MUCH time as possible to score the first time. The odds of a successful onside kick conversion in the NFL are pathetically low. So in terms of our chance to win, playing prevent and giving up a garbage TD makes complete sense.

You have to take all variables into consideration. After the 2 minute warning PHI had no time outs. At any point if the Vikings take possession, the game is over. We can take a knee three downs in a row and burn out 120 seconds. So you play prevent to ensure they do not get a big play and keep the clock moving. You don't care if they get 20 yards over the middle, it doesn't matter. The clock keeps rolling. My question is why would they take more risk on defense here? What does it get them? This to me is a text book scenario in which Prevent Defense is the correct call.

If we were playing any good to great QB and had a lead of 8 points or less, then I would agree that Prevent would not be a slam dunk. If that QB is a elite passer like Rogers it would be a REALLY BAD call.

Prevent isn't always bad. I get why people have a bad taste for it, but this was a scenario that was perfect for it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 pm I just pray that Cousins is able to stay healthy. He really is the real deal. He doesn't panic under pressure and most of the time throws some unbelievably accurate passes, but man is taking alot of hits.
Every time i see someone speed rush or blitz on Hill my toes curl up and i about break my teeth clenching my jaw. I just dream of what he could do with a line of old timers like the likes of McDaniel, Laudermilk, Zimmerman, Christie , Big Dave , Stringer P.I.P. Stueisse etc . Oh my, With studs like that and the weapons he has, plus the holes they could open for a healthy Cook.. well.. no i have a gut ache.
Bottom line, i just wish we could get a running game going and keep our Stud Q.B. off the ground.
We will see a change in the run game over the next couple weeks IMO. As long as we dont get down 20-0 to start which I dont see, we will get the run game going
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

ChicagoViking wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 pm I thought the same thing. Buck and Aikman assumed he stepped out, but only his toe touched down -- not his heel. Looked very much like he may have stayed in bounds to me.
Anyone know if Zimmer could have challenged that play? Or would it go down the same path as the Thielen non-touch from the Rams game where the refs get it wrong there's nothing you can do about it?

If it's the latter, refs should really stop blowing their whistles and allow a challenge to get the play correct.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

TSonn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm Anyone know if Zimmer could have challenged that play? Or would it go down the same path as the Thielen non-touch from the Rams game where the refs get it wrong there's nothing you can do about it?

If it's the latter, refs should really stop blowing their whistles and allow a challenge to get the play correct.
Once the whistle blows, everything is dead so they would not have been able to challenge.

I have real issues with refs and this kind of stuff. Most of the time, you'd see them let the play go and if he did in fact step out of bounds, replay would catch it. That's USUALLY what they do.

The 2nd part to that is I actually hate that most refs allow replay to fix their mistakes. Calls aren't right on the field nearly as often as they used to be and the worst part is that replays have to be conclusive, so sometimes the right call never even has a chance.

Being a ref in the NFL is a hard job, but these guys don't know what they're seeing anymore.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I also thought Wentz fumbled that ball that Barr ran back. They need to let the play go if it's like that. It cost Jacksonville a super bowl last year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm Once the whistle blows, everything is dead so they would not have been able to challenge.

I have real issues with refs and this kind of stuff. Most of the time, you'd see them let the play go and if he did in fact step out of bounds, replay would catch it. That's USUALLY what they do.

The 2nd part to that is I actually hate that most refs allow replay to fix their mistakes. Calls aren't right on the field nearly as often as they used to be and the worst part is that replays have to be conclusive, so sometimes the right call never even has a chance.

Being a ref in the NFL is a hard job, but these guys don't know what they're seeing anymore.
And ... it doesn't help that the NFL has some god-awful rules and all kinds of "emphasis" situations they're laying on these guys. If I were an official, I'd be gun-shy about making just about any call.

Think about the body-weight rule before they changed it. If the defensive player lands on the QB with 90 percent of his body-weight, it's a flag. What? Let's see. Linval weighs 330. 90% of 330 is 297. Did he fall on the QB with 297 pounds or 294 pounds? I mean, who even thinks of rules like this, let alone actually implement them?

And the lowering-the-helmet rule. This rule makes it illegal for both a running back to lower his pads (as he's been taught since he was in Pee Wees) and for the defender to go low to tackle him. Last Thursday, Sony Michel of the Patriots went low when he was carrying the ball and knocked Colts' safety Clayton Geathers silly when their helmets collided. Whose fault was that? Apparently nobody's ... the refs didn't call it. That's been the case for most of the season. After a glut of them were called in the preseason, it's barely been called since the regular season began.

It's hard to blame the officials for anything these days. The NFL has made it nearly impossible to call the game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

TSonn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm Anyone know if Zimmer could have challenged that play? Or would it go down the same path as the Thielen non-touch from the Rams game where the refs get it wrong there's nothing you can do about it?

Exactly!! I've been saying this for a couple games now. Between Thielens catch and Rudy's, they need to just let the play go and if it needs to be challenged then it needs to be challenged. Problem is, these refs worry too much about making the wrong call. But in the end, they look worse because they arent letting the play go.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

“We knew it wasn’t going to be easy to just come in here and run the football,” quarterback Kirk Cousins said. “In some cases you have to be smart and not play into their hand by running the ball. I do think when we picked our spots, we were pretty efficient and had the runs when we needed them.”

DeFilippo decided that the best way to mitigate the Eagles' pass rush was by getting around it, forcing runs outside designed to attack the perimeter and utilizing quick screens to generate early production.

Stefon Diggs picked up 18 yards off three short passes from Cousins on the Vikings' opening drive, a concept the receiver said “kept them on their toes.” The receiver also accounted for the longest run of the day, taking a 20-yard handoff from Cousins parallel to the Vikings' sideline.

Latavius Murray had 11 carries for 42 yards against the NFL's No. 1 rush defense on Sunday. James Lang/USA TODAY Sports
Without Cook, Latavius Murray stepped into a headlining role. His biggest impact was felt when the Vikings aimed to hold off a late Eagles push in the fourth quarter. Once Minnesota got the ball with 9:17 to play up 20-14, Murray accounted for 27 of the drive’s 55 yards, helping burn off nearly seven minutes of game clock in the process. Cousins also went back to the short passes that sparked the offense early on, targeting Diggs, Adam Thielen and Kyle Rudolph on gains that set up Dan Bailey’s game-sealing 52-yard field goal.

Cousins once again posted terrific numbers in the face of constant pressure, completing 30 of 37 passes for 301 yards and a touchdown. The high-octane performances Cousins has strung together in his first five games has him ranked second in Vikings history, just shy of the 1,766 passing yards Daunte Culpepper posted in Minnesota first five games in 2004.

DeFilippo’s intentions in Philly were clear: The Vikings are going to continue to rely on Cousins heavily and support him with the run when they can. Minnesota is still towards the bottom in rushing, up one spot to 31st, but showed it can better achieve that balance and take pressure off Cousins.

That philosophy is rooted in DeFilippo’s approach to continually get the ball to his best players. Cousins was 17-of-21 for 207 yards and a touchdown targeting both Diggs and Thielen on Sunday. He has completed 70 percent of his passes to that duo this season for 991 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions, per ESPN Stats and Information.

Read more
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Cliff wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 amThat philosophy is rooted in DeFilippo’s approach to continually get the ball to his best players. Cousins was 17-of-21 for 207 yards and a touchdown targeting both Diggs and Thielen on Sunday. He has completed 70 percent of his passes to that duo this season for 991 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions, per ESPN Stats and Information.
I endorse these stats. :thumbsup: